Bermuda Railway

rue_d_etropal

Another film, 1937, again not much railway, but a nice short bit in one of te country stations.

But right at the beginning, a shot of a motor lorry unloading from a ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJoVlKPpAvA

A short glimse of the Brill  in this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPZnOqlsDFc

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

For a small railway on a small island, this thread keeps on going and is most interesting as I was able to achieve a holiday there as Bermuda was at the top of my 'bucket list' of places for us to go and I was able to bring back a BR tee shirt.   As a matter of interest, did the railway ever reach H.M. Dockyard?

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For a small railway on a small island, this thread keeps on going and is most interesting as I was able to achieve a holiday there as Bermuda was at the top of my 'bucket list' of places for us to go and I was able to bring back a BR tee shirt.   As a matter of interest, did the railway ever reach H.M. Dockyard?

Brian.

Yes it did, it served the entire length of the island and the HM dockyard was at the mid point of the line. The course of the line was an elongated S shape.

Oh God slow down Simon. You've made it all too tempting and feasible. Thinking about N at the moment in terms of chassis and portability. But HO still calls in terms of accessories. Not sure how I'd do the coupling rods on the motor cars. Shapeways stuff is handled by UPS and a local agent here, so by the time shipping, handling, import duty and delivery costs are factored in, I have to pay around 120% more than the cost of the models to get them released to me. Now I need to start saving up again!

Many thanks for picking this one up and running with it. I will check in with the local model shop owner this week - there has been no response on the local facebook model builders' group when I posted but they are mainly non-railway. There really isn't an appetite for railway modelling here and I dont even know if there is anyone with a layout on the islands.

TYVM.

Ian

• Like 1

Brian.

Depends which Dockyard you mean. In terms of the West End one which is at the extreme western point - I believe it stopped short in Somerset. In terms of the dock in the city which is dead centre - then yes, the railway hub was just east of Hamilton. 

• Like 1

I think a big layout based on the complete system(or certainly as much as possible) would be interesting. Nicely fill a room.Might have to be N gauge. I wonder if I could interest Paul Lunn to do some layout designs for Model Rail. In many ways similar to Jersey, just hotter!

Edited by rue_d_etropal

I think I have done enough to designs for the moment. Would like to find a drawing for the Brill, as well as doing te Planet loco,

I have fine tuned some of the front ends. They seemed to be differences, but used photos to get as close as possible. Also added handrails to balcony ends, which should print OK, but slightly chunky. Easier to add other handrails separately.

I started with HO scale and will add other scales, certainly N, TT3, OO , O and G1, possibly S, and maybe 5.5mm/ft(novel, but possible)

bermuda-railway-motor-van-100-2a.jpg

bermuda-railway-motor-van-30-2a.jpgbermuda-railway-motor-van-30-2b.jpg

bermuda-railway-trailer-van-40-2a.jpg

bermuda-railway-trailer-van-40-2b.jpg

bermuda-railway-motor-coach-2a.jpgbermuda-railway-motor-coach-2b.jpg

bermuda-railway-pullman-coach-2a.jpgbermuda-railway-pullman-coach-2b.jpg

bermuda-railway-toast-rack-coach-1a.jpg

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 2

Not sure about 30/31.Photos in Drewry show both ends with windows as do some on Bermuda, but I would like to see like to see a photo of windowed end of 40/41 trailers.

Found a photo on Simon Horn's website. Small but definitely a trailer van, windows on front, but no middle one.easy to fix.The window on non drivers side might be blocked off, but definitely a frame of a window there. That side has a door(with window) instead of a window on side.

Removed central window in trailer 40/41. Updated model .I am sure there were a number of modifications over the years. Some photos of the doubled engined units show a ladder on front end.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

OK- so, in this case I have a bit of a connection.  Mentioned upthread is the book "Gone but not Forgotten".  I think those of you with a copy of it will find that William (Bill) Kitchen assisted with some of the details.  Back when I was younger, we used to go and see him in Sutton, Ontario.  He was a P.Eng, and signed some paperwork for dad, as well as having done re-calculations on boilers for safety cases.  His own modeling consisted of a modest sized 3.5" gauge steam crane, a self climbing tower crane beautifully made of brass tubing silver soldered & I think boats (floating/powered). 

He is, unfortunately, up with the railway in the sky gang now- 30 years ago he was old...

James

• Like 1

OK- so, in this case I have a bit of a connection.  Mentioned upthread is the book "Gone but not Forgotten".  I think those of you with a copy of it will find that William (Bill) Kitchen assisted with some of the details.  Back when I was younger, we used to go and see him in Sutton, Ontario.  He was a P.Eng, and signed some paperwork for dad, as well as having done re-calculations on boilers for safety cases.  His own modeling consisted of a modest sized 3.5" gauge steam crane, a self climbing tower crane beautifully made of brass tubing silver soldered & I think boats (floating/powered). 

He is, unfortunately, up with the railway in the sky gang now- 30 years ago he was old...

James

Not sure if his family are still about and what they might have in terms of archive? I am sure they would be pleased to see his "baby" in model form!

I think I have done enough to designs for the moment. Would like to find a drawing for the Brill, as well as doing te Planet loco,

I have fine tuned some of the front ends. They seemed to be differences, but used photos to get as close as possible. Also added handrails to balcony ends, which should print OK, but slightly chunky. Easier to add other handrails separately.

I started with HO scale and will add other scales, certainly N, TT3, OO , O and G1, possibly S, and maybe 5.5mm/ft(novel, but possible)

bermuda-railway-motor-van-100-2a.jpg

bermuda-railway-motor-van-30-2a.jpgbermuda-railway-motor-van-30-2b.jpg

bermuda-railway-trailer-van-40-2a.jpg

bermuda-railway-trailer-van-40-2b.jpg

bermuda-railway-motor-coach-2a.jpgbermuda-railway-motor-coach-2b.jpg

bermuda-railway-pullman-coach-2a.jpgbermuda-railway-pullman-coach-2b.jpg

bermuda-railway-toast-rack-coach-1a.jpg

Stop it! Seriously thank you! I am sticking with N simply because I will need to get it back to the UK with me when I leave here. But you have given me the idea of starting off with one of the termini and then once I get back home, adding to that once stability and space allow.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

James

The Bill Kitchen who managed the railway passed away in 1950. This would have been his son.

Stop it! Seriously thank you! I am sticking with N simply because I will need to get it back to the UK with me when I leave here. But you have given me the idea of starting off with one of the termini and then once I get back home, adding to that once stability and space allow.

The two most modelable parts of the line IMHO are between Richmond Road Tunnel and Rural Hill tunnel, only a short distance apart but with 3 or 4 stations and Ferry Point where the line met the narrow gauge Ferry Point railway. 

The Bill Kitchen who managed the railway passed away in 1950. This would have been his son.

The two most modelable parts of the line IMHO are between Richmond Road Tunnel and Rural Hill tunnel, only a short distance apart but with 3 or 4 stations and Ferry Point where the line met the narrow gauge Ferry Point railway. 

Hang on! There was a whole other railway? That doesn't appear in any of the films so what more do we know about it.(or was that the Astor Estate's private railway?)

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Y

Hang on! There was a whole other railway? That doesn't appear in any of the films so what more do we know about it.(or was that the Astor Estate's private railway?)

Yes, the Astor Estate private railway. It had a depot and engine shed at Ferry Reach station (not Point, my mistake).

N gauge is possibly easier, as there is a big range of motor chassis available. I am in the process of resizing my designs.

• Like 1

I can see!

Looking great Simon.

I can't say that the HO stuff isn't calling to me.... but the N stuff is going to have to be it for now both on cost and space.

So I now have the following scattered across three countries

- HO scale Taiwanese Locos and coaches in storage in my storage unit in Portugal.

- HO scale Lisbon trams in storage with a friend in Malta.

- HO narrow gauge Portuguese micro layout in process, being built here in Bermuda

- 2 London E1 trams and a Feltham with motors and nothing to run them on, in my wardrobe here in Bermuda.

- Mercifully, almost all my SR and Underground stuff sold off on Ebay last year

..... now I am about to hit Shapeways again once all your N scale is loaded up.

All I can say is thank God I never lived in Mauritius.....!

*I've share your shop with the Bermuda Model Builders Group on Facebook*

Edited by ianmianmianm
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

thanks Ian. N gauge is on the way.

For the E1 and Feltham, maybe my 3D printed tram track with conduit.

That Mauritius Garratt looks interesting!

Can you give a link please to the printed track with conduit? A fellow club member is constructing a (static) London street scene and wishes to incorporate conduit tram track.

Can you give a link please to the printed track with conduit? A fellow club member is constructing a (static) London street scene and wishes to incorporate conduit tram track.

its under track on my website(not worth trying to find it direct on Shapeways)