Hornby - New tooling - Mk3 slide-door coaches

Andy Y

4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Exactly. £31.95 each. I'd probably not be having any if they were £50+ each.

Likewise with my ScotRail 2Fs, the Bachmann ones aren't really an option. I don't want them enough to pay that price!

Just as well Hornby offer a cheaper alternative that's just as good IMHO.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, JackB95 said:

Just as well Hornby offer a cheaper alternative that's just as good IMHO.

Well, the Scotrail thing (which will actually be my main two passenger rakes when the mk3SDs turn up, waiting for everything else) are only a lark about really. I would say my main passenger interest is LNER/TPE/Northern but I am waiting on all fronts there, all the RTR at the moment for those companies is either not current or current but soon not to be.

2020-05-15 15.01.09.jpg

Edited by TomScrut
Tenuously relevant picture added

2 hours ago, Class 158 productions said:

True, I must say the Hornby ones are very good. But the Bachmann ones are absolutely glorious, but 80 quid for a mk2 is quite scary 

It's only £80 for the DCC Fitted examples though. I've just picked up a wonderful Mk2 FO for my next project for a perfect £40 - The difference between Hornby and Bachmann versions is noticeable, the Bachmann example is stunning. 

But it's very horses for courses. The Bachmann version is at the top end of the market because it's a super detail coach with a lot of extra added details including lighting. Hornby's is less so because it's more simply produced with more moulded on detail - I suspect that would be the difference here too if Bachmann produced a Mk3 too. I'd also hazard a strong guess that Hornby's batch sizes will be bigger than Bachmann's. 

Going back to the Mk3s, Kernow now advising the ScotRail Mk3s are pretty imminent! 

fz7Q4oEOSPaK4zNEhhIjUg.jpg

N3R1BF3XT7qbFb2j%+TD0w.jpg

Edited by surfsup
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, surfsup said:

Going back to the Mk3s, Kernow now advising the ScotRail Mk3s are pretty imminent! 

Yes I have had a few emails and seen some stuff on Facebook today saying they are in the next couple of weeks. I am real looking forward to running my HST properly!

Are the ScotRail Bachmann 2Fs out?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Suppose the advantage on XC and Scotrail is they don't have a named one to gravitate towards thus causing all sorts of problems for anyone renumbering the released power car!

Isn't 43132 called "A New Era" or something? The next Scotrail release has it and is in the Hornby listing/description. Or are Hornby incorrect in having that in the name as now it's in the Inter7City livery I can't see any name on it as you say?

Edited by TomScrut

On 15/05/2020 at 17:06, TomScrut said:

Are the ScotRail Bachmann 2Fs out?

No idea on the Mk2F's I'm afraid, I don't think they've been produced yet. 

43132 is still a bit of a grey area - It only carried the "A New Era" branding with "Aberdeen Station 150th Anniversary" across it's former FGW Blue livery. It then lost all that when it visited Brush for it's repaint and modifications, and since came out as a standard I7C Liveried Power Car. So either Hornby's description is wrong and it'll come out in standard I7C livery, or it'll come out in FGW Blue (but can't work with the refurbished Mk3s as an unmodified power car). 

Scotrail HST Class 43132

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Or it is going to be named "A New Era" and we don't know about it yet?

I always got the impression that it was a bit tongue in cheek as they are still over 40 years old under all that paintwork! If they do it as pictured above you'll all need a scratch rake of "dynamic lights" slam door carriages to run it with

7 minutes ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

I always got the impression that it was a bit tongue in cheek as they are still over 40 years old under all that paintwork! If they do it as pictured above you'll all need a scratch rake of "dynamic lights" slam door carriages to run it with

Yes it's a bit odd. I'd be amazed if it's in the oddball colours but then why is it "A New Era" unless either Hornby have incorrectly described it or Scotrail are going to name it after the livery it carried.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Call received from Hornby this morning; Scotrail Coaches (and the few missing CrossCountry variants) are starting to be shipped today.

We're getting close to selling out here, but if they're open and despatching why don't you give your local model shop a call - I know from personal experience

that they'd be especially appreciative of the business at this difficult time... :)

Just a reminder for those who would like to know about the formations of the Scotrail sets, to save you searching back through this thread, here's the little infographic I produced a few months ago:

Scotrail-2.png.7b8c484586ece4699d6d9da74cac382e.png

Edited by Derails Models

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Eddie R v2.0 said:

Just a wee reminder that these are the old HAxx formation numbers. These sets are now HA01 and HA02 (taken from the TGFB coach number). These sets are not planned to be made into 5 car sets (at the moment) 

Below is the current power cars on each set. 

730FB886-C6B1-4BA5-8634-DE5DD85059B4.jpeg

Even better - thank-you for the updated info! :)

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Derails Models said:

Call received from Hornby this morning; Scotrail Coaches (and the few missing CrossCountry variants) are starting to be shipped today.

We're getting close to selling out here, but if they're open and despatching why don't you give your local model shop a call - I know from personal experience

that they'd be especially appreciative of the business at this difficult time... :)

Just a reminder for those who would like to know about the formations of the Scotrail sets, to save you searching back through this thread, here's the little infographic I produced a few months ago:

Scotrail-2.png.7b8c484586ece4699d6d9da74cac382e.png

That's good news Dan . Looking forward to getting mine from you . Up here I have no local model shop, so more than happy putting business your way

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Is it true that only the TSLs have arrived with retailers today?

Not for us, I've got all ten variants here next to me now.

DPD driver didn't like me, as he had to lump all 14 boxes through our car park in this heat....and yes, I did 'socially distant' help him....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Derails Models said:

DPD driver didn't like me, as he had to lump all 14 boxes through our car park in this heat....and yes, I did 'socially distant' help him....

Ah ok I saw Rails said they had the 4 TSLs but the rest were coming shortly. Maybe not all of theirs got sent out. Good to know they are all knocking about anyway.

3 hours ago, Derails Models said:

Excellent news, look forward to receiving my XC03 set :D

44 minutes ago, Class 158 productions said:

Same here! Power cars are still set for July? The Kenneth grange pack is in June I believe 

As far as I know Sir Ken is still due next month and the XC pair July. 

• Thanks 1