Hornby - New tooling - Mk3 slide-door coaches

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

I’ve got a set of Scotrail on order, really tempted to get e set of GWR ones too. As with a lot of recent Hornby releases I fear they won’t have made enough and if I don’t get them now I never will. Pity the power cars are so dashed expensive. 

• RMweb Gold

Rarher confusingly,the latest Hornby newsletter received now advertises the arrival of the earlier,non sliding door version Mk3 in the R47XX range in GWR green.No mention yet of the late 48xX/49XX which the Rails newsletter announced yesterday.These are the ones I imagine most of us will be in the market for and not the ones in the current newsletter.

So caution here I think.

31 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Rarher confusingly,the latest Hornby newsletter received now advertises the arrival of the earlier,non sliding door version Mk3 in the R47XX range in GWR green.No mention yet of the late 48xX/49XX which the Rails newsletter announced yesterday.These are the ones I imagine most of us will be in the market for and not the ones in the current newsletter.

So caution here I think.

I think the non sliders have been about for a week or two now? I'm sure I saw an email saying they were in stock from somebody? Might be wrong though

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, JackB95 said:

Rails saying GWR and XC due in the next couple of weeks... Hmmm... 

We will see but it is a nice surprise to see them almost here now if it is this month. Just need to order my XC set now. 

57 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

So caution here I think.

The latest slam door GWR coaches are showing as in stock at Rails of Sheffield.

Edit:

When selecting the coaches for my XC set i have just noticed the TGS is not shown for the Cross Country set. It is showing for the GWR set though.

Edited by 43055

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I think the non sliders have been about for a week or two now? I'm sure I saw an email saying they were in stock from somebody? Might be wrong though

No these have been distributed,you are correct.The reason for my post was to prevent forum members...perhaps those who are not aware of the existence of two similar ( but significantly different)  runs of models.......buying in error.

8 minutes ago, Class 158 productions said:

exactly my problem, the power cars are technically wrong anyway. Due to the exhaust cowling but it will be a shame if it’s a large difference 

Yeah, I believe so. I assume it'll be a case of just remove the cowling from the Hornby model? Patch up with filler and paint where applicable? I'm certainly not forking out loads for the newer release just to have it without the cowling.

36 minutes ago, JackB95 said:

Yeah, I believe so. I assume it'll be a case of just remove the cowling from the Hornby model? Patch up with filler and paint where applicable? I'm certainly not forking out loads for the newer release just to have it without the cowling.

I think if you look on the Lner release, that’s what it should look like. Flat with square holes I think. 

Just now, newbryford said:

XC power cars have had their exhaust cowls removed.

Cheers. I had thought the GWR ones still had cowls, along with the ScotRail ones.

I had seen something about the ScotRail cars only having one large fan rather than the two on the model, although I don't know if the power car photographed is one of the models already issued, and whether they are all the same!

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Cheers. I had thought the GWR ones still had cowls, along with the ScotRail ones.

I had seen something about the ScotRail cars only having one large fan rather than the two on the model, although I don't know if the power car photographed is one of the models already issued, and whether they are all the same!

Correct Tom - The ScotRail power cars (as do the FGW & GWR ones before it) use the single large Voith fan, whereas the XC & East Coast Power Cars were fitted with a Twin Brush design. Unfortunately Hornby's recent releases has seen them put two fans under there - They were there on my ScotRail pair, although I've now duly removed them and replaced them with a more realistic looking effort made with a Dapol 68 Fan. 

2 hours ago, JackB95 said:

Shouldn't be too difficult job at all - I've done it to about 6 of my FGW Versions as I'm currently upgrading them with cut down Lima versions (as Hornby couldn't be bothered to make a realistic cowling). They're held in with 4 folded legs, while the whole thing is made of folded brass. The Issue will be the exhaust ports which you'll have to remove as they are moulded on. 

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, surfsup said:

Correct Tom - The ScotRail power cars (as do the FGW & GWR ones before it) use the single large Voith fan, whereas the XC & East Coast Power Cars were fitted with a Twin Brush design.

Ah OK, I wasn't sure if they were all with the big fan or it was varied by loco. Although given the locos all came from the same place it makes sense they are all the same.

33 minutes ago, surfsup said:

Correct Tom - The ScotRail power cars (as do the FGW & GWR ones before it) use the single large Voith fan, whereas the XC & East Coast Power Cars were fitted with a Twin Brush design. Unfortunately Hornby's recent releases has seen them put two fans under there - They were there on my ScotRail pair, although I've now duly removed them and replaced them with a more realistic looking effort made with a Dapol 68 Fan. 

Shouldn't be too difficult job at all - I've done it to about 6 of my FGW Versions as I'm currently upgrading them with cut down Lima versions (as Hornby couldn't be bothered to make a realistic cowling). They're held in with 4 folded legs, while the whole thing is made of folded brass. The Issue will be the exhaust ports which you'll have to remove as they are moulded on. 

Later Hornby releases have the correct cut down cowlings for Fgw and Gwr powercars.

1 minute ago, Class 158 productions said:

Later Hornby releases have the correct cut down cowlings for Fgw and Gwr powercars.

They have a cowling of sorts, but it's nothing on a patch of the real thing - or for that matter even on Lima's 1980s effort. The Hornby produced cowling is a shaped piece of brass, whereas the Lima effort had everything even down to the rivets! 

10 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

So caution here I think.

It does quote on Hornby's page from the This Month at Hornby newsletter that the slam doors GWR Coaches became available during March.

The information shared from Rails's of Sheffield about the Sliding door Mk3s was given in April. 

10 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Rails stated on the 7th March that 6 of the Non Sliders had arrived and Kernow's Newsletter on the 6th March said they were arriving that day so the slam door versions have been out for nearly a month. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 43055 said:

Edit:

When selecting the coaches for my XC set i have just noticed the TGS is not shown for the Cross Country set. It is showing for the GWR set though.

@43055 Looking at the list of products that are incoming from Hornby on the Rails of Sheffield list it appears that:

1. Only 7 of the 8 GWRs ones are incoming in the next two weeks. The one that's missing is a TGS. 
  2. And only 12 of the 18 CrossCountry ones are incoming in the next two weeks. The ones that are missing include a TSD, 2xTS, a TCC & 2xTGS. 

The differences are between what is on the Rails of Sheffield List and the list of coaches from the MK3 SD Announcement.

Samuel.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sc2016 said:

@43055 Looking at the list of products that are incoming from Hornby on the Rails of Sheffield list it appears that:

1. Only 7 of the 8 GWRs ones are incoming in the next two weeks. The one that's missing is a TGS. 
  2. And only 12 of the 18 CrossCountry ones are incoming in the next two weeks. The ones that are missing include a TSD, 2xTS, a TCC & 2xTGS. 

The differences are between what is on the Rails of Sheffield List and the list of coaches from the MK3 SD Announcement.

Samuel.

Ahhh didn't realise not everything was due in. So for those like myself and a couple of others on here who are modelling XC03 (the first set to come out with the door mods), we'll only be sent a TSD, a TS, and a TFD. The TGS/TS/TS/TCC are all due later... Oh well. 2+3 sets anyone? ;)