Now with Videos! Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64

danstercivicman

An old minories building...

Doesnt quite go being at the end of the pier...

Maybe during the war the harbour pier received some extra buildings???

Very unlikely I know.  I do think a dock crane near it might look nice then this could be a fish loading area?

Thoughts welcome

image.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hmm.  At the risk of raining on your parade, Dan, fish were unloaded from the boats in baskets, by hand, or perhaps with a small hoist or, in modern times, a portable conveyor.  Dock cranes are more associated with larger general cargo, and even at a small port like this are usually bigger than the Airfix/Dapol/Kitmaster kit crane, which is actually more representative of a dockyard or dry dock crane, used for lifting machinery such as winches to or from vessels under construction or repair.  Dockside cranes, like ships, are BIG!!!

Not sure how much of that sort of general cargo was handled at Stranraer; most of the Northern Ireland cargo trade was handled at Liverpool where there were all sorts of facilities, and some still is,  but there must have been some as evidenced by the dockside cranes in your photo.  Dockside cranes would have loaded on to the ferries from the quayside or railway wagons in pre ro-ro days, though, and I remember our family Ford Prefect being carried from Fishguard to Rosslare in this way as deck cargo, along with 3 or 4 other cars, loaded in cargo nets.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Hmm.  At the risk of raining on your parade, Dan, fish were unloaded from the boats in baskets, by hand, or perhaps with a small hoist or, in modern times, a portable conveyor.  Dock cranes are more associated with larger general cargo, and even at a small port like this are usually bigger than the Airfix/Dapol/Kitmaster kit crane, which is actually more representative of a dockyard or dry dock crane, used for lifting machinery such as winches to or from vessels under construction or repair.  Dockside cranes, like ships, are BIG!!!

Not sure how much of that sort of general cargo was handled at Stranraer; most of the Northern Ireland cargo trade was handled at Liverpool where there were all sorts of facilities, and some still is,  but there must have been some as evidenced by the dockside cranes in your photo.  Dockside cranes would have loaded on to the ferries from the quayside or railway wagons in pre ro-ro days, though, and I remember our family Ford Prefect being carried from Fishguard to Rosslare in this way as deck cargo, along with 3 or 4 other cars, loaded in cargo nets.

Yeah I think the building is too ‘urban’ for the pier :)

There were two cranes on the pier from what I can see- I’m going to use the top of the Dapol kit and plant it on a block.  The other crane was smaller.  I guess pre ro-ro and before the linkspan it was used like you say for loading cars as deck cargo.

I may be wrong but...

No progress today as I’ve been out cycling...

Here’s last nights final progress...

The Lord Rayleighs truck needs repainting... it it will have a silver tank and be unbranded.

I like the Bulwark one :) 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by danstercivicman
Info
  • Like 1

I’ve decided to list the jobs...

The ones I can do...

1) lining paper on backscene 

2) basic retaining wall structures 

3) far sea wall

4) fix the DMU

5) renumber two locos

6) build signal box 

Next months jobs...

1) fiddleyard points and tracks

2) paint back scene

3) sea bit

The ones I need to plan...

1) Station building

2) Station canopies

3) Station footbridge 

4) ferry steps 

5) platform surfaces 

So quite a lot 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Can anyone help answer this question?

How many times a day were there sailings from Stranraer to Larne and back?

I definately know that there was the 7am departure from Stranraer and the 6:50pm departure from Larne.

Given the sailing time was around 2hrs were there further sailings during the day?

The DMU is fixed thanks to Clive’s advice :)

Its quite busy at peak times! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Photos
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

What do you think to the brick structure/parcel building-keep or remove?  

I like it but it’s far from reality.  There will be compromises but it may be a step too far...

My own station building is a pair of modified Horby NER waiting rooms cut and shut with a canopy added to look a little bit like Abergwynfi on a very misty day if you were short sighted and not paying much attention.  One day, I will replace it with something better but it will do for now.  I reckon your building is in much the same category.  Compromises are necessary but can be rectified over time, and you have a layout to build.  Keep it until you can make a better one!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

My own station building is a pair of modified Horby NER waiting rooms cut and shut with a canopy added to look a little bit like Abergwynfi on a very misty day if you were short sighted and not paying much attention.  One day, I will replace it with something better but it will do for now.  I reckon your building is in much the same category.  Compromises are necessary but can be rectified over time, and you have a layout to build.  Keep it until you can make a better one!

Will do.

Looking at the pictures there were a lot of single storey structures dotted around the pier. 

I’m probably going to have to use Scalescenes buildings (modified) and make my own canopies.

I’m also thinking about the footbridge and wether the walls will block out the view of the station...

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Will do.

Looking at the pictures there were a lot of single storey structures dotted around the pier. 

I’m probably going to have to use Scalescenes buildings (modified) and make my own canopies.

I’m also thinking about the footbridge and wether the walls will block out the view of the station...

Thinking of:

https://scalescenes.com/product/r004a-island-platform-building/

Using the canopies from that kit over the platforms..

https://scalescenes.com/product/r007-footbridge/

That expanded for the footbridge

https://scalescenes.com/product/r005-large-station-building/

The side building for the main building (modified)

Possibly...

Here is the locomotive power for the line:

First Row- XP

Second Row- Class C,D and E freight locos

Third Row- Local and Shunting 

Gaping hope for the 6MT Clan :)

Otherwise quite a good range...

Maybe one more Black Five for fast freight might do it...

The layout is incredibly good fun to run.

Building trains and moving stock around occupies the Shunter well and I do feel I have a pretty good variety now of stock to run the major services. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Photo
  • Like 6