Oxford Rail 2019 speculation

From announcing a new RTR OO model railway outfit, to operating Hornby inside four years, is something of a performance from Lyndon Davies. This may well significantly change the originally intended development path of Oxford Rail. Then there's the other new competitors actively bringing their own RTR OO to market. All balls up in air at the moment, now we wait and see in which of the present juggler's hands they end up circulating...

I'd encourage them to rethink their plans for the air braked Warwell wagon and release it with the correct widened decks, scale sized Gloucester GPS bogies, and the Warrior cradle.

Just like the photo of the planned triple pack on their website.

Half baked wont do.....

• RMweb Gold

Going by what happened last year, I think there will be very little this year. Lyndon Davies' dual role is bound to lead to difficulties. I suspect that while this continues, there will be minimal Oxford Rail development. If his relationship with Hornby ends, I'd expect a lot more.

I'd love to be proved wrong. The LMS 2-6-2Ts mentioned earlier would seem to be a good choice. Personally, I'd prefer a J69, but Oxford having given us the N7, don't expect it this time.

I think the commissioners of models—Hattons, Rails, TMC, Model Rail, Kernow,... —are, on past form, much more likely to give us something useful (particularly the smaller locos).

• RMweb Gold

I'd ask Oxford to make some more 7-plank wagons. However, rather than put in some generic ones, put a original photo on the back of the box. A stab at historical accuracy will help sales no end.

If you are going to make a locomotive, try a Western metro (of any size:- small, medium or large).

Good luck for 2020.

Ian.

Yep, there is definitely some from the former LMS group missing in Oxfords range.

Coaches would have to be HST mark 3s hopefully correct with lighting options. It would gel with Hornby sliding door versions.

Munitions wagons for the gun would be a treat.

• Like 1

The issue with Mk3 for HST for Oxford is the market if no matching power cars are available from Hornby. While some people would look to upgrade to the Oxford models (if the colours match) I would guess probably only 20 to 25% maximum, for me personally the Oxford Mk3 is nice but not the leap ahead of the Hornby I feel merits spending the money to replace my existing coaches . This leaves a rather small market for sales and not everyone can run a full 7-9 coach rake so this again reduces the sales. The only sensible way to do this would be to produce coaches to match the Hornby current power cars each year and look to get sales from the fact people will need the coaches to complete the train and want the better spec Oxford offer.

My own preference would be a Mk3 sleeper added to the range which gives Oxford the option of offering several good current and historic livery options. 

There is still plenty of room in the industrial railway loco market. Plenty of designs, plenty of different liveries, some very attractive and appealing to both modelers and collectors.

In terms of prototypes, yes.

But in the amount of £s available to spend in the coming year given the 3 announcements from Hornby, I don't know that the industrial market is that big.

It would also not go over very well with the owners of Hornby to have Oxford stealing sales while Hornby struggles.

However the industrials that have been released recently (Pecketts, Barclays etc) are very much top-end models with close to £100 price tags.

I still think there's room in the market for something around £60 with not so much detail. Ideally of something with several examples in preservation.

A step up from the Smokey-Joe level of locos but still within reach for junior modellers, but not so basic it deters the industrial enthusiasts.

The issue with Mk3 for HST for Oxford is the market if no matching power cars are available from Hornby. While some people would look to upgrade to the Oxford models (if the colours match) I would guess probably only 20 to 25% maximum, for me personally the Oxford Mk3 is nice but not the leap ahead of the Hornby I feel merits spending the money to replace my existing coaches . This leaves a rather small market for sales and not everyone can run a full 7-9 coach rake so this again reduces the sales. The only sensible way to do this would be to produce coaches to match the Hornby current power cars each year and look to get sales from the fact people will need the coaches to complete the train and want the better spec Oxford offer.

My own preference would be a Mk3 sleeper added to the range which gives Oxford the option of offering several good current and historic livery options.

On the other side of the coin, there are people like me with the latest super detailed power cars who would love to have decent MK 3s for it. I have 3 Hornby ones but those are stop gap until something better comes along.

• RMweb Gold

There is still plenty of room in the industrial railway loco market. Plenty of designs, plenty of different liveries, some very attractive and appealing to both modelers and collectors.

My personal view on this is that it would not be good if a "bandwagon" effect got going in relation to industrial prototypes.

For me, and I suspect many others, industrial locomotives represent an attractive sideline purchased with budget left over after satisfying my core interests. So far, that's meant at least one of every type other than (as yet) an example of the large diesel from Oxford Rail. Nothing wrong with it, I'm just waiting for a version with a more "anonymous" livery...

Any "glut" of industrial types, would probably might mean having to ignore some of them altogether.

I'd far rather see one or two a year coming through, every year, than a great rush followed by nothing more for a decade.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

I think there will be one new steam outline loco announced, anybody's guess but we can rule out the Terrier and GWR prairie, and probably anything industrial this year.

Could be a new wagon or three. It would be nice (IMHO) if Oxford revisited their LNER cattle wagon - the bits they got right demonstrated what they can achieve and it seems a shame not to sort out the rest. 

For a firm with a relatively small range, NPCS vehicles that ranged far and wide are never a bad idea. A Gresley non-gangwayed full brake springs most readily to mind. 

Given the connection between Oxford and Hornby (the depth of which is admittedly unknown), and the latter's long-standing indifference to most of their "inherited" tooling, maybe Oxford wouldn't be bruising any toes by making a new Siphon or LMS GUV?  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

However the industrials that have been released recently (Pecketts, Barclays etc) are very much top-end models with close to £100 price tags.

I still think there's room in the market for something around £60 with not so much detail. Ideally of something with several examples in preservation.

A step up from the Smokey-Joe level of locos but still within reach for junior modellers, but not so basic it deters the industrial enthusiasts.

I feel the item described has long been available. The ex-Dapol now Hornby L&Y pug had a £59 price tag on it the last time I saw one on a retailer's shelf. And some months past I picked up for a project the Electrotren Barclay 'Black Ajax' 0-6-0T for £50 which is a very neat piece indeed. So there's a choice of four and six coupled!

• RMweb Premium

Despite my Southern preferences, I would definitely have a J67/69 or two. Plenty of detail variations and several liveries to keep Oxford busy for years!

Another potential big seller might be the J27 - Simple, rugged 0-6-0, long lived, 1 preserved and the ideal stablemate for all those Q6s, WDs, 9Fs etc.

• RMweb Premium

Did I dream this or are Oxford releasing a Class B tanker (you know like the old Airfix Esso tanker). I know Heljan brought one out , but I kind of remember thinking I'd wait for the Oxford one .  But now can't remember seeing anything! 

Senility is setting in!

I feel Oxford's odd choice of prototype last year was in part an attempt to have a "consolidation year" whilst they perfected their motor and chassis design. Let's face it, not many railway modellers have any use for a pre-1923 era Railgun, but it's an easy sell to military collectors.

I do feel that there must be a strategy for Oxford Rail, and I have a feeling that strategy is churning out models of pre-grouping prototypes which had fairly limited geographic spread. I'd suggest that if we see a locomotive next week it will originate from either Crewe, Darlington, Horwich, Stratford or St. Rollox.

I have a feeling they might announce two actually, one coming May/June time and one about this time next year, I. E. the Hornby strategy with the Terrier. If Oxford is going to succeed, and I'm sure we all want it to, it needs something eye-opening this year. If it rests on its laurels for a second year, then I can't see how the brand can stay afloat.

Did I dream this or are Oxford releasing a Class B tanker (you know like the old Airfix Esso tanker). I know Heljan brought one out , but I kind of remember thinking I'd wait for the Oxford one .  But now can't remember seeing anything! 

Senility is setting in!

No you didn't dream it, I asked at the NEC show and was told by the guy on the Oxford stand that the model had been put on hold because of the Heljan model.

Richard