DCC Concepts Alpha Ground Signals using other decoders

bigal10

Can anyone suggest how to use DCC Concepts’ lovely Ground signals with other Servo Decoders, other than their Alpha?

Nothing wrong with the Alpha Mimic, it works perfectly, but I’d like to try and use A N Other’s Servo Decoder, say, Zimo, ESU, or GFB’s IMP.

They all have 3 wire outputs to drive LED signals, and they all work fine, but spurred on by DCC C’s recent announcement about smaller packs of signals,, and specifically as their advert shows the pack with instructions for “cutting off the plug” and YOU MUST USE A RESISTOR, (as if we didn’t know).

Edit,

Alan, stop using Emojis, I’ve just lost the second half of this post,, AGAIN !

Can anyone help me to connect 3 wires output from the lighting side of any Servo Decoder, to a 2 wire, 2 lamp LED signal by DCC Concepts, which requires the polarity changing for the opposite colour?

I’ve tested the Alpha signal with a battery, and it works fine, so how can I operate it from an ESU / Zimo / GFB Imp / Digikiejs servo decoder?

Thanks in advance, chaps.

Regards,

Alan.

Edited by bigal10

I am not sure it is easy because they (DCC Concepts) change the lights by changing the polarity of the feed - at least that is what I was told - there mode you will need something to achieve that polarity reversal.

I thought about doing this and then decided it was easier just buying what I actually needed

I have a unopened pack of 12 with the decoder for sale on ebay if your interested - reasonable offers accepted :)

Cheers, Iain,

I’ve also got a complete Alpha pack lying about, but I’m going to try and make this work my way, and hopefully not with routes on my ECoS, there must be a neater way,

Watch this space ?

Alan.

Can anyone help me to connect 3 wires output from the lighting side of any Servo Decoder, to a 2 wire, 2 lamp LED signal by DCC Concepts, which requires the polarity changing for the opposite colour?

I’ve tested the Alpha signal with a battery, and it works fine, so how can I operate it from an ESU / Zimo / GFB Imp / Digikiejs servo decoder?

Look at the DCC Concepts manual for connecting the signals to Cobalt motors (etc.).   That shows clearly the use of a reversing (split) power supply to give a change-over.   At the wires, the two to the signal are reversed in polarity to change the signal.    

So, how to do this with another decoder:

approach 1 - get a split ( -12v, 0v, +12v) power supply, and use a single change-over switch, as in the manual for Cobalts.   If your other decoders have such a change-over you're home on those.   The power supply is simple, needs two independent 12v DC power supplies (ie. two power bricks).  Take their outputs, and connect the positive of one, to the negative of the other.  You now have three connections, which might be described as  -12v,  the combined middle of 0v, and +12v.   So, job done on the power supply.  Connect as per the manual for use on the change-over switch on the Cobalt. 

One split power supply (ie. two power bricks) could have their three wires distributed around a layout to give a -12v,0v,+12v bus for this use.  

approach 2 - use a double pole change-over switch to reverse a single 12v power supply.   This needs two Single Pole Double Throw contacts in the device,  so a Tortoise turnout motor has those and could be used.  Some accessory devices might have two change over switches on each output, again that's the job done.    Or, if only have a single output, then using a relay with two outputs switched by the decoder will give you two change over switches.     

Either approach works, always assuming no hidden "gotcha" in the DCC Concepts documentation. 

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium

Not quite sure what the diagram above shows - I only get components on a black background.

This may be a better link explaining the split rail supply.

The connections to the SS controller are SPDT changeover contacts from a relay. Or any other suitable SPDT contact.

https://www.dccconcepts.com/manual/alpha-mimic-ground-signals-controlled-by-cobalt-ss-fed-by-sps-12/

And yes, they can also be operated with a DPDT and single power supply as Nigel says

Note - if using "just" the signal away from the Alpha Mimic, then make sure there is a suitable resistor in circuit.

Cheers,

Mick

p.s. DCCconcepts have just announced four packs of signals only to be available soon

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Can’t help you there -shows ok on Chrome, Safari and Edge

It is a super simple circuit to make them work

O/T. 

I know the circuit required, it's just that the link doesn't display for me - I'm using Chrome.

The link you've provided isn't a direct link to the DCC Concepts pages

O/T. 

I know the circuit required, it's just that the link doesn't display for me - I'm using Chrome.

The link you've provided isn't a direct link to the DCC Concepts pages

I know it isn't a link to DCC Concepts, it is link to an image they used on their forum to answer a similar question.

Chrome should display png files correctly, certainly does on Win10, iOS 9.3 and iOS 12.1.2 for me

• RMweb Premium

I know it isn't a link to DCC Concepts, it is link to an image they used on their forum to answer a similar question.

Chrome should display png files correctly, certainly does on Win10, iOS 9.3 and iOS 12.1.2 for me

I think I've got browser envy.....................

Not.

• 4 weeks later...

With a little help and a sketch from Fraser at GFB Designs, plus the use of their add on twin relay adapter to plug into their IMP servo decoder, I got a pair of DCC Concepts’ Ground signals to work, and they look great!

As Fraser says, the trick is, that the twin relays work together, and there is a microsecond dip in the centre point as the 2 relays switch, so that you get the 2 colour signals to appear to swap midway between the point throwing.

I now just need ESU and Zimo to follow suit.......

Regards,

Alan.