Is this a UK loco in USA?

melmerby

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Marshall5 said:

I have a vague recollection that someone at the ELR was involved in the purchase as they acquired the sister loco at the same time.

Ray.

That was my father, he helped secure it in of early days with people he was involved with at the ELR, it is also how they acquired NE4350 the mk1 TSO which was ELRs first coach, and delivered in Maroon as one of the first preserved mark 1s. I believe the original wish list was Scotsman or a Duchess, which is where the name originated on the 0-6-0T.

The guy who exported them was also until very recently still an active supporter of the ELR (and think NYMR too).

Meaford Number 1 was acquired at the same time to the ELR, where as the other Meaford no2 (RSH 7745) was converted to oil firing and sent to the US.

the mk1 BSK was in St Louis in 2001 when I saw it, but understand it’s possibly scrapped now, a BR brake van was also at Whipphany around 2007.As an unrelated side story,  Besides the aforementioned LNER coaches at Wisconsin, there are two LNER BGs stored outside LA, ex-Scotsman’s tour, which were used as a studio film set and and a LEV Railbus, which is for sale in Connecticut.

i have suggested the two mk1’s in Standish, which are salvageable but unrestored could look nice with the Canadian A4 in the past.

as for bringing any of it back, I doubt it, an RSH isn’t unique in the UK and mk1’s are hardly rare. The interiors are original varnished wood, incandescent lights, seating, arm rests, name board fittings and cigarette trays, and I recall seeing that the penalty for using the communication cord is only £5, but exterior is very poor.

As for original condition coaches NE4350 is a good example, NE 4350 was preserved in that same deal and was kept under cover until 1987, though in recent years the ELR painted it blue/grey, a livery it never carried, I understand its out of service now.

the 7745 / BSK we’re separated from the two coaches at the sell off auction of anyone city, which was brought about in part due to the boiler condition, and thus costs against no revenues whilst it was out of service.

all my above travels resulted as personal visits off the back of US visits for work, that solely originated from the stories my father showed me as a kid and inspired me to go looking.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

If you want to widen the field a bit, apart from the obvious pair of A4's and the Terrier, the Smithsonian in Washington DC have the Robert Stephenson & Co 1831 built "John Bull" on display..........

16-1628.jpg.ce08304f07c54fc8c3628c5ead313e31.jpg

and the local museum in Honesdale, Pennsylvania, have this replica of the 1829 built Foster and Rastrick loco "Stourbridge Lion".....

11-2948.jpg.ac3a7a9e39ef79b0c13ce1b02f8da3ae.jpg

The B & O Museum in Baltimore, MD have some of the original parts for this particular loco on display.

Then there are the two 1830 something Stephenson built 0-6-0's which are on display somewhere in Nova Scotia.......(and a selection of UK trams scattered across the USA)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When I went round Universal Studios in LA in 1995 there were some British coaches, that looked to be of LNER origin to me at the Victoria Station Restaurant on the complex.  I looked for any builders plates and got warned off by a security guard.

Jamie

• 3 years later...
On 19/02/2019 at 15:50, adb968008 said:

the mk1 BSK was in St Louis in 2001 when I saw it, but understand it’s possibly scrapped now, a BR brake van was also at Whipphany around 2007.As an unrelated side story,  Besides the aforementioned LNER coaches at Wisconsin, there are two LNER BGs stored outside LA, ex-Scotsman’s tour, which were used as a studio film set and and a LEV Railbus, which is for sale in Connecticut.

i have suggested the two mk1’s in Standish, which are salvageable but unrestored could look nice with the Canadian A4 in the past.

Hi,

I have also come across the two mk1's in Standish, but have not seen any evidence of a BSK in St Louis? 

How did a BR brake van end up in the USA?

Is there any pictures of the two LNER BG's in California still?

The mk1's that people have missed, is 15055, a BR mk1 CK. (Look up 1600 Dutch Lane, Jeffersonville, Indiana. It was covered in weeds and completely rusted. You can still see it on in the aerial on Apple maps. ). I have tried looking up my source of where I got the number, but seems like the site is now permanently down. 

I have a long list of UK locos and rolling in the USA (including a few that were in Canada)

D4A64DF8-8D71-4E09-AA12-2E44321A617B.jpeg

Edited by Ribird
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Ribird said:

Hi,

I have also come across the two mk1's in Standish, but have not seen any evidence of a BSK in St Louis? 

The mk1's that people have missed, is 15055, a BR mk1 CK. (Look up 1600 Dutch Lane, Jeffersonville, Indiana. It was covered in weeds and completely rusted. You can still see it on in the aerial on Apple maps. ). I have tried looking up my source of where I got the number, but seems like the site is now permanently down. 

I have a long list of UK locos and rolling in the USA (including a few that were in Canada)

Interesting but it looks pretty rough.

I understood that was at Tennessee valley for a while, but had gone when I visited about a decade ago.

The Brakevan was a BR one, had buckeyes that looked a bit brutally added on. I think it may have gone with the lev unit, but thats really only based on proximity, Upstate NJ isnt a million miles from CT, but I really dont know, and the guys I asked didn't know much about it either, that too was a very long time ago now. I recall it looked tiny next to a box car.

Edited by adb968008

13 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Interesting but it looks pretty rough.

I understood that was at Tennessee valley for a while, but had gone when I visited about a decade ago.

The Brakevan was a BR one, had buckeyes that looked a bit brutally added on. I think it may have gone with the lev unit, but thats really only based on proximity, Upstate NJ isnt a million miles from CT, but I really dont know, and the guys I asked didn't know much about it either, that too was a very long time ago now. I recall it looked tiny next to a box car.

There was no sign of that brakevan when I visited the Whippany Rail Museum in 2014.

The LEV Railbus at the CT Trolley Museum has been scrapped now as well.....

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, adb968008 said:

The Brakevan was a BR one, had buckeyes that looked a bit brutally added on. I think it may have gone with the lev unit, but I really dont know, and the guys I asked didn't know much about it either, that too was a very long time ago now.

Ah cool! Do you recall any more information on the BSK in St Louis? 

I seem to have missed this BCK in Los Angeles in this list, but seems to have been scrapped after Universal Studios upgraded the park. 

image.png.9595d3e007d3a67de935b56d87f35ed8.png

https://features.rcts.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/preserved-coaches/2013/Preserved_Coaching_Stock_of_British_Railways_-_Part_One_-_Jul_2013.pdf

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Ribird said:

Ah cool! Do you recall any more information on the BSK in St Louis? 

I seem to have missed this BCK in Los Angeles in this list, but seems to have been scrapped after Universal Studios upgraded the park. 

image.png.9595d3e007d3a67de935b56d87f35ed8.png

https://features.rcts.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/preserved-coaches/2013/Preserved_Coaching_Stock_of_British_Railways_-_Part_One_-_Jul_2013.pdf

Now i’m really going back a very long way…

around summer 2000 I was doing a project for a Steel company (National Steel) in Granite City, MI.

This involved me staying at a hotel at a seriously impressive old station in St Louis, i’d drive over the Missouri and there the scenery changed to something more akin to Sheffield. Along the drive, which was quite close to the river there was a Railroad yard, full of old passenger cars, not freight, hundreds of them. It looked privately run, rather than a railway company one, all stored. This attracted my attention daily as I drove past, and one day I stopped to have a look and it was there I saw it, quite predominately at the end of the vehicle yard entrance (which was opposite to the railroad sidings exit, so it was clearly “out of the way”, but awkward to spot unless I ventured in.

Ive done a quick look on Google maps but I dont seem to hit it, but I did spot an “A&K Railroad materials” which might be it, but after a 10 minute stop 20 years ago i’m pushing it…

I dont have a photo of the coach, I just didnt have a good enough camera and it was a bit of a threatening looking place to risk going in but this picture was taken at the gate. Checking the date its Feb 2000, not 2001. The picture doesnt do it justice, the yard was quite large.

962BF7EE-9D36-4186-A21E-38B39E8A8B81.jpeg.c46f4ec85c37f4b82b023ec050b67318.jpeg
heres a different entrance to the same place..

B6C266F8-D1F6-4740-AA7A-9B2A5C303B54.jpeg.43f7c5ea54ff583505e074eee321757e.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hmmm! I do wonder what number the BSK was and why it was there! I guess that will be lost to history! Thank you though! 

Definitely found a similar yard to what you are showing, but the only defining features in the photos I can't seem to find on google anymore. But the yard is a big one! 

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ribird said:

Hi,

Not there any more, that map is out of date.

https://goo.gl/maps/Jnf78ozhCV9YThNs6

Was there in 2019 but gone in Jan 2022:

https://goo.gl/maps/A1VwBgjiL1TaZDE57

https://goo.gl/maps/yiovEWkYu8qhQ9wP9

Edited by melmerby

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Ive done a quick look on Google maps but I dont seem to hit it, but I did spot an “A&K Railroad materials” which might be it, but after a 10 minute stop 20 years ago i’m pushing it…

Ok, I kept looking. I think one of the yard entrances is still there, the second image with the yellow striped pole.

As for the coach, I believe that has been long gone, even before google started doing their street view. I don't have Google Earth Pro, so it might show up on the past aerials. 

There is a gangway coach that has been floating around the yard since the beginning of the photos. This looks to be the one you can see from the highway on the street view, but all covered up. Photo from the 2009 street view

image.png

Edited by Ribird

• RMweb Premium

Google Earth can go back to 2002 such as :

(image lost)

I wonder what was going on there?

An organised line of wagons for something

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1