Is this a UK loco in USA?

melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Looks very European and there are buffers at the rear.  I’ve seen pictures of Hunslet 0-4-0’s on LocoPhotos.com, one in 2019 at Mexicali, Mexico with both buffers and knuckle couplers.

Certainly not American, considering everything about it. Though no idea why it would be in the US, AFAIK we didnt import any steam locomotives past the 1850s. Could be a special case of a Central or South American locomotive being bought to save from scrappers. 

1 minute ago, melmerby said:

My guess at a RSH loco was right,

That doesn't happen often!

She has that rugged look of an RSH tank

No idea how she ended up on the Boyne Valley Railroad in the 1970s yet though. She wouldn't have been that old either, being built in 1952

Richard

A little more: 

Save the Duchess

Save the Duchess 
The "Flying Duchess" has landed in La Grange, KY as part of the nascent LaGrange Railroad Museum.

The 0-6-0T "Duchess" was built in North East England in 1951 by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns Ltd. as their number 7745. The large tank engine became Meaford #2 at the Meaford Power Station at Barlastone near Stone...part of the British Electric Authority.

In the 1970's, Meaford #2 was shipped to the Boyne City Railroad in Grand Falls, MI along with 3 coaches and worked pulling excursions there. I have seen photos of the "Duchess" at the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum in 2000.

The "Duchess" arrived in La Grange in August of 2011, with a caboose and heavyweight coach also slated to become part of the Museum display. More information about the La Grange RR Museum can be found here:

www.lagrange-rr-museum.org/index.php

Richard

Edited by RLWP
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for tracking it down.

Pity how the diner has been butchered.

It looks like a typical heavy weight US clerestory roofed vehicle of 100 years ago

I notice that the loco had been fitted knuckle couplers as well, which could be used with the Mk1s they imported.

I wonder where the coaches went?

5 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Thanks for tracking it down.

Pity how the diner has been butchered.

It looks like a typical heavy weight US clerestory roofed vehicle of 100 years ago

I notice that the loco had been fitted knuckle couplers as well, which could be used with the Mk1s they imported.

I wonder where the coaches went?

Probably scrapped. Isn't that what happened to much of Flying Scotsman's US train?

Richard

29 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Probably scrapped. Isn't that what happened to much of Flying Scotsman's US train?

Richard

Two of the former Boyne City Mk1 coaches are at a station museum in Standish (Michigan, USA, not Wigan).........

http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=1687

and the other one was last recorded as heading for Kentucky in 2009 according to the VCT register.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Boyne Valley took two BR MK1's (24199  and 24551) both with NE numbers, since moved. Both totally authentic time capsules. I wonder if they were imported at the same time as the RSH? Be nice to have em' back particularly '199 as it's one of the few decent early lot examples of a MK1 SK left! 

Regards

Guy

• Informative/Useful 1

40 minutes ago, RLWP said:

That's amazing!

Richard

The VCT website also still lists two LNER full brakes that were part of the Flying Scotsman 1969 tour train as being part of a restaurant at one of the LA film studios in recent years

Don't forget these 2 LNER sleepers that are with the A4 Dwight D Eisenhower at Green Bay, Wisconsin as well.....

11-936.jpg.11f0b0600e30a3bb0c5b5d9050fc7389.jpg

They were supposedly part of his command train here in the UK during WW2, but all the bed linen in the sleeping compartments is genuine BR issue, and marked as such!

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Two of the former Boyne City Mk1 coaches are at a station museum in Standish (Michigan, USA, not Wigan).........

Still there Aug 18:

https://goo.gl/maps/uShQ7JD8jm42

https://goo.gl/maps/RbjKyksmxxD2

Edited by melmerby

15 hours ago, RLWP said:

I'm on it...

Some clues here perhaps?

http://www.railroadmichigan.com/boynecity.html

boyne006.jpg

That has to be one of the strangest places to find BR crimson carriages!

Richard

Finally!

A prototype for the archetypal Hornby starter train set...

(Easily approximated with R2439 and a couple of R4629 Mk1s, or some Hachette MK1s which are cheaper)

Edited by Hroth

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Finally!

A prototype for the archetypal Hornby starter train set...

(Easily approximated with R2439 and a couple of R4629 Mk1s, or some Hachette MK1s which are cheaper)

Complete with trestle bridge?:)

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

The VCT website also still lists two LNER full brakes that were part of the Flying Scotsman 1969 tour train as being part of a restaurant at one of the LA film studios in recent years

Don't forget these 2 LNER sleepers that are with the A4 Dwight D Eisenhower at Green Bay, Wisconsin as well.....

11-936.jpg.11f0b0600e30a3bb0c5b5d9050fc7389.jpg

They were supposedly part of his command train here in the UK during WW2, but all the bed linen in the sleeping compartments is genuine BR issue, and marked as such!

I think it's just a case of only BR linen being available when it was shipped to the US.  The train is genuine.  This pic shows a bit of it in LNER teak (it's on  a Daily Excess page - I've seen the pic elsewhere on the web but can't find it elsewhere at the mo')

https://www.express.co.uk/news/history/949527/ww2-train-defeat-hitler-secret-covert-operation-eisenhower-churchill