Sorry to hear that you have decided not to progress with this one Luke. However, when you feel it isn't right then it is sensible not to continue. From your track record of producing great layouts, I know that whatever you move into next will be top quality! 

As modellers we all have a back catalogue of abandoned projects, unfortunately some of us much longer than others.........! :blush: It's all part of the learning process though and we can take that experience into the next project :good_mini:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Sorry to hear that you have decided not to progress with this one Luke. However, when you feel it isn't right then it is sensible not to continue. From your track record of producing great layouts, I know that whatever you move into next will be top quality! 

As modellers we all have a back catalogue of abandoned projects, unfortunately some of us much longer than others.........! :blush: It's all part of the learning process though and we can take that experience into the next project :good_mini:

Thanks mate, I got to agree with you there. I don't want to force myself into modelling something that doesn't really suit me. I'll be heading to the York show tomorrow so will hopefully return full of enthusiasm, inspiration and maybe an empty wallet. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, luke the train spotter said:

Thanks mate, I got to agree with you there. I don't want to force myself into modelling something that doesn't really suit me. I'll be heading to the York show tomorrow so will hopefully return full of enthusiasm, inspiration and maybe an empty wallet. 

Definitely. Nothing is wasted as a modeller and all part of the learning experience to make the next project better. 

Enjoy York! It's always been the highlight of my modelling year and, whilst I sadly can't attend this weekend, I am really looking forward to seeimg the photos of the layouts. It is always an inspirational show so fingers-crossed you are given a big boost by going along. I hope the damage to you wallet isn't too severe though!!

• Like 1

York was a fantastic show today! I really enjoyed and it was great to see some layouts that I've been wanting to see for some time. As always very well organised and a great range of layouts there. Also nice to have access to a few traders I wouldn't really buy from normally. This has resulted in a few purchases including a skytrex resin low relief warehouse and a realistic water kit for the canal section of the layout as well as some other detailing bits. I also bought a new loco but that'll be on the distillery yard thread as it suits that layout a little more. Anyway heres a picture of the layout. IMG_20190420_193537946.jpg.36b6164c5aa720830d9c2defb88a1aaa.jpgThe paper templates are just my rough positioning of where buildings will be. There's also a lorry and building under construction which I'll mention in a later post. A strip of warm white LEDs has been fitted to the top of the fascia, a big improvement on the lighting. Thanks for looking :)

• Like 2

So I've done more on the scratch built warehouse type building. Tonights effort has meant that all the stone work is painted and weathered. For this I used a variety of valleyo paints all mixed to different shades of grey. I too of that a dark brown wash was slread liberally. After ensuring that the wash had reached pretty much every place it was left to dry. Thankfully, the how weather finally probed useful to something as it didn't take long to dry so can now be handled. I'm not trying to sound big headed or anything but the picture really doesn't do it justice. IMG_20190421_222403009.jpg.69d24e27de93de9d74e845e2be3cc28d.jpgThe building is currently in situ on the layout whilst I await supplies for the roofing. I've got a short list of layout names that I like so I'll decide on one and announce it on here. Thanks for looking. :)

• Like 1

So a couple of things have been done. Firstly the layout now has a proper name, 'marmalade wharf'. It's completely fictitious and I've had the name in my head for ages and wanted to build a layout called it. Its not specific to a particular region so i can run what ever type of stock I want and also it isn't to tied down to an era as well though I'm thinking that it could range for 40s to 60s. I for got to mention, marmalade is one of my favourite foods as well. :) Anyway, onto some more physical progress. At the York Easter exhibition (which was a very very good show and we'll organised - as usual) I picked up a skytrex resin warehouse. I've wanted to try one of their products for quite some time and this was the perfect opportunity. I originally painted the brick work and tried to put the mortar in as a wash then wipe.it off but this just didn't look right and I rubbed some of the brick paint off as I was only using acrylics. I rubbed most of it off, primed it and started again but dry brushing the brick this time, something of definitely recommend doing. The effect is quite nice and I will be buying from skytrex in the future. IMG_20190423_141855193.jpg.1c61eaf60716a54666aa9b7a847cdc76.jpgThe whole building was painted with acrylics and given a light weathering. Instead of using a ready mixed brick colour I mixed my own up so the shades vary along the building and I also dry brushed 2 coats of 2 shades to add more depth. 

Next up is the start of the canal/quayside/wharf'. I removed some of the baseboard with a jigsaw then screwed a sheet of wood down to the underside. Das air-dry clay was used to fill gaps and was pushed against the side then stamped using another home made stamp tool to get a stone block effect. It's been left to dry then I can paint it and begin to add the resin effect. IMG_20190423_210035944.jpg.4e911af2fa254a40a85965ba8e78ade7.jpg

Unfortunately I'm working the rest of the week and then I'm back at sixth form on Monday so I won't have much time to do modelling as for some reason I left a my work to the last minute... I never learn. I'll keep you all posted though, thanks for looking. :)

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

So I think marmite must have really wanted some attention, or she thought she was a barge and ought to try out the new canal but she decided that she would claim the layout. IMG_20190424_210720199.jpg.e099ce0d1c199be3046c97a5c4ac5888.jpgOnce I had persuaded her to get off the layout , I painted the base of the canal with enamels and the clay stone work. I select a few different blocks with different shades of grey before covering the whole thing with a wash made up of 2:1 brown to black valleyo acrylic then some normal tap water to thin it down to a good consistency. This is a more browny was than the clay on the building and a think I prefer the colour of it. I've also applied masking tap sealed with PVA glue along the front of the layout ready for a resin pour tomorrow morning before work. IMG_20190424_214240488.jpg.89a7cd572d5230adb3393ec9de4ea3e5.jpgSo far I'm really pleased with how it's coming out. Now I'm gonna give the resin 36 hours to set so I won't even go into the train room to ensure that the resin sets fine. This means that I won't be able to do any work on the layout until Friday evening. 

• Like 7

Looking good Luke!  Pleased to see you have got a new idea and plan. The Skytrex building looks very good. The brickwork is highly effective - did you prime the building first? 

I know you will have to balance your work on the layout with schoolwork (obviously highly important) but hopefully you will snatch a few moments of time to do some modelling as a relief. It will be helpful for switching off for a little while. I am sure with your track record of rapid progress it won't be long until things take shape!

David

PS - love the new name for the layout too!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, south_tyne said:

Looking good Luke!  Pleased to see you have got a new idea and plan. The Skytrex building looks very good. The brickwork is highly effective - did you prime the building first? 

I know you will have to balance your work on the layout with schoolwork (obviously highly important) but hopefully you will snatch a few moments of time to do some modelling as a relief. It will be helpful for switching off for a little while. I am sure with your track record of rapid progress it won't be long until things take shape!

David

PS - love the new name for the layout too!

Thanks David. Yes the skytrex building was primed first using Poundland's a finest grey auto primer which is a little dark for my taste but still works fine. As you say modeling is great for 'switching off' and I got to agree with you there, I always look forward to getting in the train room and working on some project. I think having limited time often drives the rapid construction of my layouts, if I'm honest I expect to have this layout done in six weeks tops. Potentially less if I keep at my current rate of progress. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, luke the train spotter said:

Thanks David. Yes the skytrex building was primed first using Poundland's a finest grey auto primer which is a little dark for my taste but still works fine. As you say modeling is great for 'switching off' and I got to agree with you there, I always look forward to getting in the train room and working on some project. I think having limited time often drives the rapid construction of my layouts, if I'm honest I expect to have this layout done in six weeks tops. Potentially less if I keep at my current rate of progress. 

Thanks Luke, that is very useful. I hadn't realised that Poundland did primer.... I will have to investigate further!

It's good to crack on when you feel inspired! A hobby such as modelling can help keep you sane at stressful periods in life. It might take a backseat during your exams and when deadlines loom, but hopefully it won't disappear completely.

• Like 1

On 18/04/2019 at 09:06, ModellerChris said:

If I had a pound for every time I did that...!

I've decided that, rather than rush in, when I get an idea I'll jot it down. I'll add it to the pot of ideas and then see if it stays with me enough to want to do it. I reckon that the one I really want to build will be the idea I keep going back to. Might be worth trying?

It's catching! -  just done that myself - again - Crinnan / Ferness has had the "benefit" of a partial strip down - back to the drawing board and all that.

Ian

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

It's catching! -  just done that myself - again - Crinnan / Ferness has had the "benefit" of a partial strip down - back to the drawing board and all that.

Ian

To me it felt quite counter productive but I think it's really important to be able to change your mind and build something your happy with. Best of luck with your new build!

• Agree 1

Some ideas seem fine in concept but physically dont work out when constructed -  nothing to do with build quality but something seemed lacking and not right. Last weekend I brought out a few old id Backscenes to experiment with which clicked and suddenly changed the whole concept of the original layout fitting the buildings to suit the backscene for a change :crazy:

In all you dont have to put up with what you have  - don't be afraid to "reset" - luckily we are talking micro layouts!

Edited by Crisis Rail

11 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

The Skytrex buildings - facades are excellent  - I picked up a couple of walls from the York Show last weekend - did you mask to paint the window frames Luke?

They really are excellent. The whole casting got a light coat of primer first then I painted the brickwork and the stone work around the windows. I didn't mask the window frames off, I painted them before I painted the black windows so I wasn't to bothered with how neat I got them first time because I could touch up around them with the black paint. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/04/2019 at 09:06, ModellerChris said:

If I had a pound for every time I did that...!

I've decided that, rather than rush in, when I get an idea I'll jot it down. I'll add it to the pot of ideas and then see if it stays with me enough to want to do it. I reckon that the one I really want to build will be the idea I keep going back to. Might be worth trying?

Of all the ideas I've picked up from RMweb so far this is one the wisest pieces of advice I've come across - thank you.

• Like 2

Thanks guys for all your kind and encouraging comments. Tonight I checked on the resin and it’s fully cured now. Admittedly it isn’t perfect and you can tell where I had to use the clay to fill the gaps between the wood joints. However , as a first attempt I’m quite pleased with it. I took a quick shot on my iPad of the Peckett with the canal in the foreground. I think it makes a big difference to the composition to the scene and adds a much needed bit of relief to a relatively flat layout.C77A7EF3-82ED-4AC0-9E12-1B93D1238F72.jpeg.11b590f3c385dedac82b3bdfebef7aa7.jpegDue to a technical failure on my phone I’ve had to swap over to my IPad so that’s the reason if the picture quality looks any different. The water effect looks a little flat to me so I’ve ordered some modge podge glue which is what Luke Towan recommends for creating small ripples on top of resin. Thanks for looking.  :)

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 24/04/2019 at 08:18, luke the train spotter said:

So a couple of things have been done. Firstly the layout now has a proper name, 'marmalade wharf'. It's completely fictitious and I've had the name in my head for ages and wanted to build a layout called it. Its not specific to a particular region so i can run what ever type of stock I want and also it isn't to tied down to an era as well though I'm thinking that it could range for 40s to 60s. I for got to mention, marmalade is one of my favourite foods as well. :) Anyway, onto some more physical progress. At the York Easter exhibition (which was a very very good show and we'll organised - as usual) I picked up a skytrex resin warehouse. I've wanted to try one of their products for quite some time and this was the perfect opportunity. I originally painted the brick work and tried to put the mortar in as a wash then wipe.it off but this just didn't look right and I rubbed some of the brick paint off as I was only using acrylics. I rubbed most of it off, primed it and started again but dry brushing the brick this time, something of definitely recommend doing. The effect is quite nice and I will be buying from skytrex in the future. IMG_20190423_141855193.jpg.1c61eaf60716a54666aa9b7a847cdc76.jpgThe whole building was painted with acrylics and given a light weathering. Instead of using a ready mixed brick colour I mixed my own up so the shades vary along the building and I also dry brushed 2 coats of 2 shades to add more depth. 

Next up is the start of the canal/quayside/wharf'. I removed some of the baseboard with a jigsaw then screwed a sheet of wood down to the underside. Das air-dry clay was used to fill gaps and was pushed against the side then stamped using another home made stamp tool to get a stone block effect. It's been left to dry then I can paint it and begin to add the resin effect. IMG_20190423_210035944.jpg.4e911af2fa254a40a85965ba8e78ade7.jpg

Unfortunately I'm working the rest of the week and then I'm back at sixth form on Monday so I won't have much time to do modelling as for some reason I left a my work to the last minute... I never learn. I'll keep you all posted though, thanks for looking. :)

Was probably stood next to you buying at the Skytrex stand last Saturday....?!

• Like 1