Having both UK & USA outline rolling stock (OO / HO) with micro layouts to suit, thought I'd put together a simple generic tuning fork measuring 48 x 12" including fiddle that would be suitable for both.  Virtually all parts to be sourced from the "spares" box and those items acquired that "may come in useful at some point".  The intent is to show a small harbour with partially sunk barge, a modern fisheries depot in low relief ( a Hornby RTP printer's building which will need rebadging), with a fishing boat taken out of the water for repair. 

First image shows board with some of the selected items to use in build.  Harbour walls are plaster parts sourced for an earlier attempt at 009.  Have cut the board to facilitate creation of "sea" on a foamboard frame and have given the sea bed a thick coat of a mixture of appropriate colour acrylics.  A water surface, a sheet of clear plastic given an appropriate wash on the underside, will rest on the two balsa support pieces.  The top I'll finish with several coats of clear vanish rippled with a cocktail stick.

IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1420.JPG

• Like 7

Nice simple plan , can I ask where the barge model is from ?

Regarding the modern building , as you are using a steam loco it does look out of place , with more modern stock the old and new buildings would really compliment each other and reflect the natural progression of the companies fortunes .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, col_kilgore said:

Regarding the modern building , as you are using a steam loco it does look out of place , with more modern stock the old and new buildings would really compliment each other and reflect the natural progression of the companies fortunes .

Whats modern is a really interesting question, what appears to be new ha quite often been around for decades. There is a lovely picture in the Last Days of Steam series, Gloucestershire I think, of a steam engine pulling a nuclear flask!

As I said at the beginning of this thread, this a cheap build using up stuff I already have to hand.  Some bought but unused for previous layouts & other bits just picked up at exhibitions cos I liked em & thought I “could use that !” .  Having now built over twenty five micros in scales from Z to O, I have always run stock as has suited me, after all we build for ourselves, not others.  If I like it I run it ....... it’s my model railway after all.  I’m not saying the criticism is misplaced, it simply doesn’t fit my build ethos. 

Edited by noctilux2
Correction.
  • Like 3

Spent some time at the weekend ballasting & weathering the track.  The modern building has now had a touch of weathering and an air extraction duct added.  Next step will be to finalise other buildings and affix in place.  Unsure about the two shown above at the front LHS and the exit to the fiddle will need covering; will check what oddments I have in a Walthers box.  "Sea" is coming along too having had a number of coats of clear varnish followed by doses of "Realistic Water", the latter appearing to cure well.  In the image above the two boats have just been placed & could change.

Trust the weathered building now gets approval !

IMG_1440.JPG

• Like 6

That weathered building looks cracking! :good_mini:

Recycling and re-using items is a great way of undertaking a cheap build. As modellers, most of us accumlate so much stuff over the years, and it is likely we could all knock together a few micro layouts based on these spare bits and pieces. This doesn't have to be an expensive hobby! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 02/03/2019 at 20:47, col_kilgore said:

Hi - spotted your question whilst searching for help for what colours to mix to make dock coloured water (amazing how many folk say "painted in suitable colours" ... reminds me of a line from "The Producers" about making more money from a flop than a hit ... "So you keep telling me, but you don't say how!")

I digress! Try a web search for the  Anyscale Models web site, for dumb barges, canal barges and various boats, floating and half sunk, together with lots of other useful resin bits and pieces (loads, machinery, lighthouses, small buildings, you name it!). Can also be found selling on eBay.

No connection - a happy customer (who wishes he would cast the modern type of lifeboat seen perched at 45 degrees on modern ships, as they are a b*gg*r to model!)

Steve S

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 15:09, noctilux2 said:

Hornby low relief building now rebadged "Puddle Fisheries".  Potential assortment of buildings loosely placed while I make my mind up.  Track laid on cork strips awaiting weathering & ballasting.

IMG_1424.JPG

I realise this isn't a recent photo (I'm doing some catch-up reading), and the completed layout has been sold on, but having also checked out the photos of the finished and detailed model on the Kidmore website, I wanted to say how much I really liked the atmosphere on this layout - for me, it just seems to work.

I can't remember another Tuning Fork layout that has stood out for me in the same way for quite a while - there's a nice balance between the scenery in front of and behind the tracks, with two decent length sidings making the most of the 32" scenic length.  Thank you for sharing, Keith.

• Like 2

Thank you for your kind comments, appreciated.  Have you also seen “Kidmore Valley Railroad” which I also built with a dual nationality purpose ?  It’s surprising what you can do with just one point for a layout.  Plenty of “Fork” examples on RMWeb.

On 25/02/2020 at 20:24, Keith Addenbrooke said:

I realise this isn't a recent photo (I'm doing some catch-up reading), and the completed layout has been sold on, but having also checked out the photos of the finished and detailed model on the Kidmore website, I wanted to say how much I really liked the atmosphere on this layout - for me, it just seems to work.

I can't remember another Tuning Fork layout that has stood out for me in the same way for quite a while - there's a nice balance between the scenery in front of and behind the tracks, with two decent length sidings making the most of the 32" scenic length.  Thank you for sharing, Keith.