MK1 BCK's on the southern region

Sh0rtr0und9

Hi all,

Quick prototype question - in what formations were the Southern Region MK1 BCKs used?

I presume it woud be something like BSK-BCK or BCK-SK-BSK, but guidance (possibly with photographs too) would be very helpful!

Many thanks!

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Sh0rtr0und9 said:

Hi all,

Quick prototype question - in what formations were the Southern Region MK1 BCKs used?

I presume it woud be something like BSK-BCK or BCK-SK-BSK, but guidance (possibly with photographs too) would be very helpful!

Many thanks!

It should be noted that the BTK-BCK Maunsel coach combinations used by the Southern region offered a total of ten 3rd class compartments and two 1st, while a MK1 BSK-BCK combination gave only seven 3rd class compartments and two first despite the Mk1s being longer (64ft vice 7ft) and heavier (metal framed body construction rather than wood)

As such a Mk1 BCK-BSK combination is not a very satisfactory pairing.

On the other hand a Mk1 BSK-CK-BSK setup has the same number of compartments as a Maunsel BTK (4)-CK-BTK(4) combo so although the Mk1 set is both heavier and longer, the amount of passenger accommodation is not effected.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

On the other hand a Mk1 BSK-CK-BSK setup has the same number of compartments as a Maunsel BTK (4)-CK-BTK(4) combo so although the Mk1 set is both heavier and longer, the amount of passenger accommodation is not effected.

I seem to recall that the Southern operating department did have issues with Mk1 BSKs and their 4 passenger compartments. Most of the Maunsell coaches they replaced had 6 compartments , so a BSK-CK-BSK set lost 4 compartments of accommodation compared to the previous Maunsell sets. And 2 sets working together effectively loses a coach load of seats. That's a big problem on some of the steam worked lines south of Oxted, that loaded heavily at peak hours. 

The 4 compartment Maunsell coaches tended to work services to the West Country where passengers had lots of luggage. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if that's why BR (SR) specified 8-seat (4-a-side) compartments in 2nd class? (WR did too). The other regions' stock was for 6-seat (3-a- side with armrests).

That said, I'm not familiar with the seating capacity of the pre-nat stock.

• Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Have a look at this excellent site - follow the link - might be a help

http://www.semgonline.com/coach/sets.html

Phil

Thanks for this, it looks very useful!

With regard to the BSK/BTK-CK formations, did these run alone (i.e. with a brake compartment at only one end), or were they used to form larger services?