Weathering Workbench

Morning all. As various small layout ideas keep churning over in my head but continue to resist being built, I thought I'd start a small topic to chart some stock weathering. On the menu shall be various goods wagons (not scary), Maunsell and Mk1 coaching stock (moderately scary), and eventually M7s, T9s, and Bulleids (scary).

I've been experimenting with mixing acrylic dry brush and powders, and am quite pleased so far. Any comments or suggestions appreciated and I'll update as and when more come through the works.

DSC_0031e.jpg.0633c366dba4dbc24ede78342d378bd9.jpg

Roof still to do.

Adam

Edited by Calidore
  • Like 2

An unforgiving in-progress shot of a project from the past few days. Renumbered to Nine Elms' 80143 and with the early crest changed to late, just needs a Waterloo - Clapham ECS headcode and it'll be on the way. The lighting is hiding the underframe, which was the most pleasing part, and accentuating all the ugly bits! As ever it looks subtler in the flesh so the photo is a little disappointing.

DSC_0061e.jpg.3432d4a1fea902805006be509931ea7a.jpg

Edited by Calidore

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Morning Adam. 

I use powders, almost exclusively, to weather my stock. 

The powders I use are from Humbrol and I stick to a very basic palette, regardless of weathering stock, locos, buildings or track. These are applied with a variety of make up brushes purchased from amazon for not a lot of money. 

I tend to add lighter colours first and in moderation, preferring to use 'iron oxide' which is less vibrant. I then use 'smoke' to tone it all down and blend things in. 'White' can highlight areas and 'black' can be used to shade. 

Once happy, the whole thing can be sealed with a LIGHT dusting of Humbrol acrylic matt varnish. Too much varnish and it become wet and you lose your lighter colours. 

Great results are possible but it takes time and practice. 

Rob. 

index-33-01-02.jpeg

• Like 1

That all looks good so far Adam, I can vouch for Rob's powder method, I've used that and as he states use a light coating of varnish to seal the powders. lately I've been practicing with an airbrush to get some different effects.  Have you got any books on the subject? There's a few out there. I'd also recomend looking a Mick Bonwicks weathering blog on here, some great weathering with a few products. I'd also say try and weather from photo's if possible, sometimes I get caught up weathering for the sake of it also remember the saying less is more, you can always add some more but it's not always easy to remove too much. 

Most of all have fun and dont forget to put your pics on here.

Enjoy! 

Steve.

Edited by sb67
  • Agree 1