Deltics north of Edinburgh

tigerburnie

• RMweb Gold

I think Class 55’s were fairly regular up to Aberdeen though probably not when first introduced.  As steam was wound down, they started making an appearance either diagrammed or substituting for a failed loco.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Thanks guys, that Napier is going to be very useful thanks.

Be prepared to spend hours that you won't get back, mate; it's a fantastic resource.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Having a quick look at the 1962-63 timetable there are Deltics on the down "Aberdonian" services from Kings X, but none showing them returning from Aberdeen, so it might have been steam hauled north of Edinburgh, wish I had a Tardis to go have a look.

• Like 1

Regrets. As a five year old I went from York to Aberdeen but didn't get to loco spot as parents were busy securing an empty compartment. Date was August 1960 and I vaguely remember a loco change at Edinburgh.  The return journey was by car and included the ferry across the Forth.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies, I am in the very early stages of planning a layout based in NE Scotland and I am researching the locos for the era around the end of steam, I saw the entire class of Deltics when on a camping holiday with school mates at High Dyke in the early 1960's and was rather impressed(in spite of being a dyed in the wool steam man), if I am to have an oil burner it would be nice to have one I liked(I liked the Hymeks as well, but that would be stretching rule number 1 a bit lol).

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Swapping Deltics at Waverley on the Aberdeen trains, I think, maybe only came in in the late 70s i.e. once the HST had been introduced.

Earlier than that, I don't think there would've been enough Deltics to cover the ECML services south of Edinburgh as well as those going north?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tigerburnie said:

Probably not Accurascale, a bit pricey for one with fitted sound, but I will have a good look round when the track is down, there's a few DCC ready steam locos to chip first.

They may well be a few Bachmann Deltics on the pre-owned sites once the Accurascale one lands.

I think it's a good model, so if you can get one at a good price it will look perfectly fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1