How do I get the best out of a Laisd c

Simon Moore

I wondered if anyone else has had issues with Hornby super detail hst's not running smoothly?

I have 2 I've tried a tts sound decoder & a variety of dcc chips & they all have the same issues.

The model will set off then just stop dead then repeat the process. I've tried the decoders in other locos no trouble at all. My layout runs perfectly well with all my other stock but I cannot get these pesky hst units to work.

I dont know  a great deal about dcc other than changing the decoder address etc. The system I'm using is a nce powered with a dcc concepts 5amp booster unit.  

As you have tried other decoders with the same result, it would suggest to me that the fault is in the unit.

How you find it i haven't a clue, except have a probe around the wiring could well be an intermittent break or a dry joint. Good Luck. 

• RMweb Gold

Could it be that the decoder is detecting that the motor is drawing more current than some preset limit and shutting down to protect the motor? That could explain why only that loco and decoder combination has the problem. If so, then maybe there's nothing actually wrong with either the decoder or the loco - you just need to use decoder(s) that have a higher current rating or fix the current draw in the affected loco(s).

I don't know if Lais decoders support current limiting but I believe that the higher-end makes do.

• RMweb Premium

Is the topic title not rather misleading, you’re not having issues with Lais decoders, but with the HSTs...?

I’ve never had any issues with Lais decoders FWIW, their crude motor control means I keep them for function use now though.