C&L Timbers how many kits do I need for a double slip.

sharris

It's ExpoEM shopping list time and I really should have counted them up before I ran out, but does anyone happen to know if I can get away with 1 point timber set for 1:6 double slip, or do I need 2 to provide enough of  the longer timbers at the ends?

I don't know if it was a packageing error or whether Phil has intentionally changed the proportions, but the first packet I opened today from my ExpoEM purchases had 3 long and 2 short sprues - result: with a bit of timber chopping there are enough in one packet to do a 1:6 double slip, with just about enough short ones left over to make a catch point (if I hadn't already made all the ones I needed!)

3 hours ago, hayfield said:

Tip if you need to join two timbers together butt them together under a chair, it both hides the join and makes a stronger joint

Just chopping gives enough for a 1:6, I reckon by gluing together bits of the shorter sleepers there would be enough in one kit for a 1:7 - a 1:8 might be pushing it a bit.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, hayfield said:

Sell the other on a well know auction site, or simply make another

Tip if you need to join two timbers together butt them together under a chair, it both hides the join and makes a stronger joint

The full size railway splices the timbers and fastens the joint with fishplates and chair screws.

• Informative/Useful 1