Peco Code 100 Small Radius Point Puzzle

michaelp

Hello all,

I have quite a few of the above points (title) on my layout which I have modified for DCC, switch and stock rails bonded, link wires cut and frogs wired to micro switches on the point motors and they all work fine, however, one point which is never switched from the straight route has a problem, my 0-6-0 loco is stopping on the frog. The point has no motor and no frog switching, dropper wires are connected to the toe end of the point and IRJs are fitted to both frog rails but the frog wire is not connected.

I can't work out what to do to get power to the frog, this has got me baffled.

Any advice would much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• RMweb Gold

If the point is never switched then surely all you need to do is connect the frog wire  to the appropriate DCC bus wire.  This would mean it's permanently powered with the same polarity but not a problem if the point is never switched. 

• Thanks 1

Connect the frog wire.   Use a frog juicer.  

The loco shouldn't stall, not on a 2ft radius point even with a dead (metal) frog. there should be at least one pair of wheels picking up even when one pair is on the frog.  Check the loco has pick ups working on more than one axle, as in apply power to each pair of wheels and make sure the pick ups actually work.   DCC is very hard on pick ups if you run into the frog end of wrongly set points and even DC damages the delicate modern pick ups and fries plunger pick up springs.

I find locos with heavy axle loading and 4 wheel pick up work better than light locos with all wheel pick up under adverse rail conditions, but that includes running outside when its actually raining and I find the Hornby Traction tyred 0-6-0 "Thomas the Tank" etc chassis (and the Hornby 14XX chassis) to be completely hopeless at negotiating pointwork at anything like scale shunting speed

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Then I would suggest checking continuity over the point with a meter with the frog wire attached to the correct bus wire as I suggested. If this shows no problem, then the issue must be with the loco. It could be one or two pickups are not making proper contact with the wheels, which could be exacerbated if the turnout is not completely flat, for example. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RFS said:

Then I would suggest checking continuity over the point with a meter with the frog wire attached to the correct bus wire as I suggested. If this shows no problem, then the issue must be with the loco. It could be one or two pickups are not making proper contact with the wheels, which could be exacerbated if the turnout is not completely flat, for example. 

I have a multi meter but I am not sure how to check continuity, can you give me a clue please?

If meter has a continuity buzzer setting, set it to "buzzer".  Put one probe on running rail, one on frog.  If meter goes "beep" (or buzz) then you have continuity.

If meter lacks buzzer, then set to resistance (ohms).  Put one probe on running rail, one on frog.  Resistance reading should be near zero (a few ohms at most). 

Continuity buzzer setting on a meter is probably the most useful for model railway diagnostics, so if shopping, get a meter with a continuity buzzer. 

- Nigel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1