The Permanent Way Depot

Guest Jack Benson

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson

With the expected return of our friend to the 'fold' we have decided to help him by starting construction of the module. As previously mentioned, Tim Horn modules are the favoured choice but we need some advice. Tim offers a 'photo box' and a 'stand alone' 1,2m long module, is the only difference the other dimensions?

The load space in the Yeti is more than enough to cope but other factors are weight and robustness, thoughts please. We are worried that anything too large will be a strain on our chum's health but we suspect that any of Tim Horn's products will be perfect.

Thanks guys

JB

Guest Jack Benson

Btw,

The title has changed from Meldon - wagon repair shop to Meldon - permanent way depot. Thanks to an increasing collection of permanent way depot euphemia in 4mm and the fact that it is a neglected subject.

The excellent thread here lays down much of the groundwork but it is rather too modern and we want feature an element of departmental steam outline. The images provide an impression of the essential elements plus the use of a Wickham in the correct context.

32-391.jpg.27a39ac2f217d0b1dd536920b83e87a7.jpg

IMG_1202.JPG.1d5bff245736b57ad09707c1e90d0b8c.JPGWickham_Shelter.jpg.3a2cc64123cb660cd04f67b526fb474c.jpgWickham_Shelter2.jpg.223cdb05783e648f9ad3196152dcb15e.jpgAllen_scythe_1.JPG.0bc22fadcf0e9ade43b581fdd1c831b2.JPG

The images from Paul Logan are of the contents of the PW store at Shillingstone - an Allen sycthe cutter circa 1950s.

The whole caboodle will make a fine contrast to those lovely yellow crew vehicles, I just need to source some suitable 50s figures.

Cheers

JB

Edited by Jack Benson
Villainy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson

A revision of the trackplan to something less contrived and a tad more prototypical using Inglenook pattern. It also benefits from being a well proven shunting puzzle, which will come in handy at exhibitions.

inglenook2.JPG.jpg.8f85d52211dc8960ab9ebb1e20a28649.jpg

The layout should be able to fit in a 48x18 module, no external cassettes so the headshunt needs to be hidden behind a building. Thankfully we have a 1920s rural garage, the former is based on Jim Hatch's establishment at West Wellow on the A36.

The theme of Meldon continues, it will be in an interesting contrast with the Dorset Stour valley.

cheers

JB

Edited by Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Whilst searching for the half-finished Blackberry Farm building, this was found, carefully stored. It was the last building created by the late Bill Jones of this parish and given to Andy Hale. The picture comes from Bill's Fordingbridge thread, the model needs a little TLC but it would be entirely appropriate to incorporate it in the diorama as a fitting tribute to a thoroughly decent guy.

Cheers

JB

image.jpeg.5f01681e009d12b469b13c5076630164.jpeg

Guest Jack Benson

A start has been made, a simple pre-made 1200x600 baseboard has been ordered from GH Boards in Bedford.

Board1.jpg.6aba0154b3c994100e2f333adf8812fd.jpg

Inspiration comes from a mixture of Neptune Road and Tinners Forge to build a small Inglenook, that will fit in the Yeti. Rather than a one piece integral unit, the baseboard will be a separate entity with a lightweight cosmetic cover that holds the LED lighting and backscenes- it seems that presentation is as important as content and it must have a presentation cover with proscenium arch and nameboard.

Despite the simple trackplan, it is doubtful that Peco's new Bullhead turnouts will be suitable but only time will tell.

JB

Edited by Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Some good news, Peco advise that their large BH turnouts will be suitable for the Inglenook sidings trackplan (see above) for a 48x24" baseboard, that is a big relief. After a 55 year wait, I can finally build a prototypical British outline layout (albeit narrow gauge) Two BluePoint turnout actuators are on order from EDM, now, just a case of waiting for the bits to arrive. 

I found a long lost picture of Jim Hatch's garage in West Wellow on the A36, a start can be made to complete Bill's model as a tribute to a good friend.

image.jpeg.8b10d2b3b40bcbfa7f94458915f2c295.jpeg

Does anyone else harbour an interest in rural filling stations? I recently encountered an example near Much Marcle that was once a WW1 aircraft hanger, it is still in use emblazoned with Westons Garage, the former owner raced Hillmans.

Cheers

JB

Guest Jack Benson

Catastrophe, 

The wondrous Peco BH turnouts are simply too long for the simple Inglenook track plan on a 48x24" baseboard, despite assurances from Peco's advice bureau, the sidings cannot accomodate more than one wagon at a time. Waiting until Peco release their medium radius BH in Q4 2020 is not an option, therefore the only viable plan is to use the well-tried Code75 FB medium turnouts and BH plain track. Not such a problem as there are just two turnouts hidden amongst the weeds.

It just means another trip to Buffers, Axminster, to our 'local' model shop, which is a pleasure.

JB

Guest Jack Benson

Another USA tank has been purchased and we need to change its identity to 30062, the last of the Meldon departmental steam shunters. Although a tad overwhelming for a track maintenance depot, it can shift the engineering wagons. The later BR lion is entirely appropriate but hopefully some departmental lettering can be sourced.

Other goodies to arrive are the turnout actuators from EDM, hopefully everything will be working before the end of November.....

image.jpeg.67d51effeb9553b33d08adb33a8d0f27.jpeg

cheers

JB

Edited by Jack Benson

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Another USA tank has been purchased and we need to change its identity to 30062, the last of the Meldon departmental steam shunters. Although a tad overwhelming for a track maintenance depot, it can shift the engineering wagons. The later BR lion is entirely appropriate but hopefully some departmental lettering can be sourced.

Other goodies to arrive are the turnout actuators from EDM, hopefully everything will be working before the end of November.....

image.jpeg.67d51effeb9553b33d08adb33a8d0f27.jpeg

cheers

JB

Very nice perhaps something I should consider! I saw at Olivia’s Trains £280.00 I think! May I ask where yours was purchased from?

Cheers 

Ade

Guest Jack Benson
9 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

Very nice perhaps something I should consider! I saw at Olivia’s Trains £280.00 I think! May I ask where yours was purchased from?

Cheers 

Ade

Ade,

Using the Model Rail link to Kernow Model Rail, a snip at £125(ish) plus p/p and it arrived within 24hrd,

Cheers

Jack

Guest Jack Benson

Just complete idiocy - that is the only explanation.

We planned to create a create a mini diorama that would fit inside the loadspace of the Yeti without the need to fold down the rear seats and it was measured twice, just to make sure. The idiocy started when we forgot the 36" was only 3' long, so we ordered a 4'x2' baseboard, the only excuse was the intended trackplan would only just fit on a 4'x2' board.

When the board arrived, my partner looked at it with the wry comment that 'it looks to be the same size as your old layout' which it is except there were three boards plus four pairs of legs rather than just one board.

At least I know that the board will fit inside the Yeti except we will need to fold down the rear seats but the absence of legs and two additional boards is the (only) redeeming feature AND the fact that the trackplan would not have fitted on a 36" board.

My partner, bless her, has decided that I am not to be trusted with a tape measure or indeed any cutting tools with supervision (which is a bit harsh)

Cheers

JB

Guest Jack Benson
20 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Isn't getting old fun? [I'm 71 next month]

Ian,

It is akin to 'selective hearing', I only take in what I think is correct rather than using logic. The fact that the trackplan needed a 4'x2' board seemed to counter reality moreover my tiny brain remembered that 4'x2' boards did fit in the Yeti............that fact that I was listening to Steeley Dan when I was doing all this may have been relevant?

Cheers

JB (not quite 70)

Guest Jack Benson
1 hour ago, 30368 said:

You "Youngsters" -  72 at the end of the month.

JB you need a bigger Yeti then?

Kind regards,

Richard B

The mighty Yeti once carried three 4'x2' boards plus four pairs of 4' legs, therefore a solitary 4'x2' board and no legs should be a doddle.

Moreover, the Yeti has the 'approval' of SWMBO.

Cheers

JB

On 06/10/2019 at 12:20, Jack Benson said:

Hi,

Some good news, Peco advise that their large BH turnouts will be suitable for the Inglenook sidings trackplan (see above) for a 48x24" baseboard, that is a big relief. After a 55 year wait, I can finally build a prototypical British outline layout (albeit narrow gauge) Two BluePoint turnout actuators are on order from EDM, now, just a case of waiting for the bits to arrive. 

I found a long lost picture of Jim Hatch's garage in West Wellow on the A36, a start can be made to complete Bill's model as a tribute to a good friend.

image.jpeg.8b10d2b3b40bcbfa7f94458915f2c295.jpeg

Does anyone else harbour an interest in rural filling stations? I recently encountered an example near Much Marcle that was once a WW1 aircraft hanger, it is still in use emblazoned with Westons Garage, the former owner raced Hillmans.

Cheers

JB

There are a few old petrol stations and garages up here in Sutherland, which I always mean to photograph, but never have a camera on me when passing through! Mainly corrugated iron or “curly tin” as it is often referred to by folks. Creosoted, timber ‘plank and batten’ walls, like the Highland Railway signal boxes and lineside buildings, were also used for older, small industrial buildings, including garages. Some buildings are still in use while others just stand empty. :mellow:

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 2

Guest Jack Benson
11 hours ago, Marly51 said:

There are a few old petrol stations and garages up here in Sutherland, which I always mean to photograph, but never have a camera on me when passing through! Mainly corrugated iron or “curly tin” as it is often referred to by folks. Creosoted, timber ‘plank and batten’ walls, like the Highland Railway signal boxes and lineside buildings, were also used for older, small industrial buildings, including garages. Some buildings are still in use while others just stand empty. :mellow:

Marly,

As a failed petrolhead, I find early garages and filling stations to be fascinating subjects in their own right. Almost every village that could support a blacksmith found that the local blacksmith would turn his hand to almost any repair whether it was a car, agricultural machinery, motorcycle or even a bicycle. Many early vehicles required constant attention, our Ford Y required a decoke every 500miles together with an oil change. Early franchise dealers were only located in larger county towns and the local 'garage' thrived as a result. Not every owner was a natural mechanic, my father was baffled by the simplest of problems and relied on the local garage.

This picture has been published elsewhere but is a tribute to the local garage that 'did everything', I once asked Mr Tilly for a glass oil reservoir for my rigid model 16 AJS and he had a 1939 example wrapped in oilpaper, marked 2/6d, he asked for 50p to cover the storage costs.

image.jpeg.db54969ca78641e5547781dcfb28a75c.jpeg

Cheers

JB

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

And whilst getting all nostalgic about old village garages, the village store is often a candidate for our affections.

We are lucky to have a small number of community enterprises that can be quite eclectic  Click here for the good stuff

Our hands-down  favourite is the tin 'tab' at Chettle, definitely off the beaten track, never the less it serves the weekend migrants from the home counties as well as the local residents. A Wills tin chapel will be suitably modified for use on Child Okeford or even on the new diorama?

Whilst I have nothing but boredom against architecture, modern or ancient, it is utilitarian buildings that excite my jaded palate. 

image.jpeg.1998bb3ecfe68dc5a2f25903b7ec17b1.jpeg

JB

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

A dear friend has just stepped forward to help with laying the track, installing the electrics and creating a 'flat-pack' backscene for the diorama - isn't that kind?

It seems my only only role will be to create the details and put it all together.

Should be ready to go on the road by Easter.

Cheers

JB

Guest Jack Benson

Just to share this with you,

IMG_0218.JPG.9ea0359a302bd7ef67ce027e94077a47.JPG

It is the 'briar patch' at the rear of the small hut that I just finished.

It was inspired by this scene.

IMG_0299.JPG.b2e85fe7c28fa5a8eea9bc3ab99c9ffa.JPG

Nice isn't it?

JB

Guest Jack Benson

Rural decay

A couple more decaying rural garages found in the South West in the past few years:

1587498983_YarcombeCoachworks.jpg.c4576f780278b62ce95a29cffdcb0bd1.jpg

Yarcombe, on the Chard-Exeter A30 has been refurbished and no longer the home to decaying Jaguars.

Finally, this is surely the last gasp of a local garage, not sure where we stopped but it was definitely not open for business.

Wales_1.jpg.702664127fc2f7f0850bf6ad66c04957.jpg

JB

On 18/10/2019 at 12:32, Marly51 said:

Use the camera in your mobile phone?

If like me it is nearly always with me.

Gordon A

• Like 1
  • Agree 1