Purchasing O gauge MTH and Lionel from the UK

Twinrover

Can anybody recommend a plentiful and reliable shop in Europe that sells reasonably priced Lionel and MTH O gauge tracks? Dealers in the UK seem to have limited stocks and are very expensive, or there is some other problem. Failing that does anybody buy direct from a good dealer in the USA - yes I am aware of the 20% VAT import tax and a further Royal Mail charge? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

While we’re on the subject of MTH, does anyone in the EU, ideally the UK, stock or import to order their locomotives?

I have rather a liking for their 0 Premier GE 44/45 Ton loco, some of the real things of which I’ve seen in Spain, France, and I think Italy. One ex-USATC, Ex-SE de la Gironde (VFIL) loco of this type is preserved in The Landes, and others may linger with track maintenance contractors in Spain.

Although, I suspect that the USATC ones that came to Europe actually had lower-height cabs than the MTH model, which has the tall US loading-gauge cab, and were possibly a slightly earlier version. 

Edited by Nearholmer

On ‎07‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 03:03, sncf231e said:

I wouldn't know (and I have searched) a continental shop for Lionel and MTH with reasonable prices. So I buy (from the continent) directly from the US at C.T. McCormick Hardware  http://www.cttrains.com/index.htm

Regards

Fred

Agree with Fred.  For US track go direct to the source, find a US dealer who has some idea of exporting stock as the above.  Its really the only way of obtaining a comprehensive selection.  A bit expensive but worth it.  Most of my track is old used Hornby!

Brian.

One East Coast trader told me he was OK with mailing to the UK, it was nearer than California.  One telephone order I made on a bad-ish line did go to the Ukraine first, but I got it eventually!  Anyway, grit your teeth and try an order.  We all moan about postal charges and Parcelforce's clearance charge, but if the shipment is a reasonable size (splitting the overheads over many items) chances are that in O-scale the prices will be better than via a UK importer who may not be getting a good discounted price on his smaller than HO 'wholesale' order.

Apart from dealing direct with Atlas, InterMountain (when they did lots of O-scale), Norms O-scale, P&D, Des P;aines Hobbies and many others, I used 3-rail traders like Charles Ro, Justrains, Island Trains(name?) and many others for scale items worth converting to 2-rail.  Apart from Tennents as Jordan suggested, there is an MTH importer concentrating on their British and Continental O-scale models who might be persuaded to add track to the next order.  I'll look up his name. 

Jason

Many thanks. I actually found them by web search last night, asked for a price on the loco, and got a response within minutes at the dead of night, which was rather impressive.

Their price looks high when compared with CTT in the states, but includes shipping and VAT, so is probably not far off.

They are based in (Old) Jersey, so not quite in the EU, and not quite governed by the same consumer protection laws as the UK, as far as I can work out, but if anything goes wrong with the transaction/goods, they are closer than New Jersey!