Traditional road signs

Hello D9020 Nimbus, I have used roadsigns  on my little early 1960's layout 'Sproston' from a firm called 'MINISCENE MODELS'  tel:07570 493387. or Email:miniscene.models@hotmail.com

These are all pre 1967 roadsigns, with the black and white striped pole- there are five in each pack, and they seem to make at least four different packs.

Hope this is useful.

Regards

Sigtech.

065.JPG

• Informative/Useful 5

Hiya 9020 Nimbus, I ve used the same type of signs, but from Ancorton Models, these signs are available at a well known Liverpool trader.

Excellent choices.

IMG_3433.jpeg.39aed6a788a28766465a61fe25440289.jpeg

He a pic of one on my current layout..

\

Regards Jeff

Edited by phixer64
  • Informative/Useful 2

As you also can if you get hold of an old copy of the Highway Code. Couple of quid on Ebay/Amazon I would think (dunno how collectible they might be), or ask yer grandad :D. 

Edit: This might be worth a look, as it apparently contains copies of various issues of the HC from the appropriate era. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Highway-Code-Edited-Green/dp/1843172925

Edited by PatB

I was sure there was a site with past editions of the highway code, but I couldn't find it. I did however find the 1946 edition. The first signs are included but some modifications took place later.  (The flaming torch school sign was replaced with pictures of children for example.)

http://normandyhistorians.co.uk/hwc/p13.html

I tracked down an illustration of the Hornby signs and can only advise against their use as they are out of scale, in particular the speed limit, 'Halt' and 'No Through road' signs. The real thing was either an embossed cast plate (about 1/4" thick) or later a fairly thin flat metal plate (see the Wikipedia link above). As mentioned above the 'Halt' sign has its triangle/circle upside down. It is also too small the triangle was the same size as on the the other signs. The old 'Matchbox' signs are a lot better but are far too thick. The red triangle was usually open, but could be solid with a white infill.

IIRC the height specification was 7' 6" from ground level to the base of the sign (which would agree with the 10' 4" total height in the advert. in the link) in urban areas and lower in the country (5'?). Again IIRC, in the later case the pole might be green and was often 'T' section rather than circular.

Years ago there was a 'Modelcraft' sheet of signs (10d IIRC).

EDIT

It would appear the 'Halt' triangle was originally  'point up (as per Hornby, but it's still the wrong size) but changed to 'point  down' by 1946

Edited by Il Grifone

My Wikipedia link (the advert)  gives 3¼" diameter, so 1mm is fine.

Take care with metal poles. A 1mm diameter spike sticking up from the layout could be dangerous, especially if the triangle is metal too.

Sets of metal toy road signs like these would have H & S in fits today.

https://www.planetdiecast.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=125&id=330690&Itemid=0

(Note the pre-war castings (also issued  post war) have the triangle pointing up on the 'SLOW' sign. Now I don't want to get into the 'model of a model' argument....)

Quote from above link, " Also described the speed  derestriction sign (47f) as "mega" rare????" This may be so but in reality the derestriction sign would have been mounted on the back of the '30' and there should be two of them, one for each side of the road of course.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Informative/Useful 1