Jump to content

ElbowLane00

Elbow Lane. 00 DCC Sound. Follow for occasional updates and news.

Recommended Posts

Bought a project box to use as a Power Supply centre for various voltages and tester for various sockets intended for use on the layout.

 

DC Contoller Din socket, MERG removeable Colour Light signal socket etc., etc.

 

Spent an hour cutting out and shaping a hole in one aluminium face plate to take a 'Kettle Socket' for mains supply.

 

Then found out that the face plates don't fit the aperture formed by the two white plastic frames.

 

Absolute complete rubbish. Not worth sending back.

 

Most useful bits about the box are the four rubber/plastic feet and a selection of nuts and bolts.

 

New alternative ordered. That'll teach me. (hopefully)

 

EL

 

image.png.ddb76ad082719a2888a641c2044f3e59.pngimage.png.921d23f1a789bb3b3a1028dfd668f238.png

  • Friendly/supportive 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/11/2019 at 09:40, dasatcopthorne said:

EL.

 

What do MERG charge for the District Cutout and the Mega Points controllers?

 

Dave.

 

Sorry I missed this.

 

Around £10 IIRC.

 

EL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies if anyone is looking for updates.

 

Things are happening but everything board and trackwise is on hold until that blooming Peco Bullhead double slip is available.

 

Hopefully they will be around at Warley.

 

Meantime I've put together a 'bench power supply' to aid testing and bought my self a little Servo Tester.

 

EL

 

 

20191113_100054.jpg

Edited by ElbowLane00
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/11/2019 at 15:41, ElbowLane00 said:

Preparation for the build continues, hoping that Peco come up with the Bullhead Double Slip soon.

 

 

 

I know the feeling. I am waiting for the bullhead single slip. The message on the website mentioned production beginning in October of all three (double slip, single slip and long crossing); and I wondered if anyone 'in the know' had heard any rumours of actual release dates for these items? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

 

I know the feeling. I am waiting for the bullhead single slip. The message on the website mentioned production beginning in October of all three (double slip, single slip and long crossing); and I wondered if anyone 'in the know' had heard any rumours of actual release dates for these items? 

 

 

 

History repeats itself. In the 1970s I was delayed in constructing a layout waiting for a promised Code 100 single slip. It never came and I ended up having to convert to SMP.

 

I believe that they will do better this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

 

History repeats itself. In the 1970s I was delayed in constructing a layout waiting for a promised Code 100 single slip. It never came and I ended up having to convert to SMP.

 

I believe that they will do better this time.

 

Blooming well better.

 

At least I've actually handled all three. Had them on display at the Great Central Show in June.

 

EL

Edited by ElbowLane00
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I'm going for Servo operated points on Elbow Lane I visited the Portsmouth show today so that I could see and purchase a Dingo Servo Mount to test before I decide on what type/make of mount to use.

 

It looks very promising.

In case you have heard of them here are two links on how it works and how to make them up.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdhJzQwIdzk&feature=youtu.be

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NusHSKUedsQ&feature=youtu.be

 

 

 

EL

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/11/2019 at 09:40, dasatcopthorne said:

EL.

 

What do MERG charge for the District Cutout and the Mega Points controllers?

 

Dave.

 

About a tenner.

 

EL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bench Power Supply received a couple of mods before being put to use.

 

I was concerned that the transformer gave out more than as stated (as is usual). The 12vdc was running at 15.5vdc with no load and 18vac no load.

 

So after a bit of research (I'm no electronics expert) I discovered (Buck Power Reducers that have a wide ish range of input voltages (DC only) and could be adjusted on the output. About 4v -  30v input and 2 - 35v output. Roughly.

 

Bought two of these on eBay  and installed them. Only around £3.50 each.

 

So easy to adjust and took one down to 11v and the other down to 4.5v.

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-4V-38V-to-1-25V-36V-2A-Step-Down-Power-Supply-Regulator-24V-12V-9V-5V-UK/122572089413?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

 

Works a treat.

 

20191119_152737.jpg.9b564f1b75d38d5bdc3d0c3da1e44832.jpg

 

These are the two small circuit boards on the left.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may have missed another thread on which I said that I had contacted Peco about the bullhead double slips. Their reply was that "they should be available by the end of this year".

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Robert Stokes said:

You may have missed another thread on which I said that I had contacted Peco about the bullhead double slips. Their reply was that "they should be available by the end of this year".

 

 

 

 

 

FFS.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/11/2019 at 12:23, Robert Stokes said:

You may have missed another thread on which I said that I had contacted Peco about the bullhead double slips. Their reply was that "they should be available by the end of this year".

 

 

 

 

 

You could fit a Flat Bottom version and change it later before you ballast it in.

 

It will cost a fair bit more though, I suppose.

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, you've guessed it.

 

Another blooming re-jig of the track plan. Well, what did you expect?

 

One or two of the small layouts at Warley set me thinking again, even the '0' Gauge ones.

 

A long look at one layout made me realise that a much longer run round was possible by moving one turnout and and extending its related track.

I also moved the entry/exit roads back towards the centre of the baseboard to a;;ow a better swing on the fiddleyard table. Good job I didn't start the build proer with the last trackplan!

 

Also found Peco bullhead turnouts 5p cheaper than Track Shack ans no postage.

Worst news was that the Bullhead Double slip will not be around until 2020. So the decision was taken to buy a s/h code 75 flatbottom version and maybe change it later before I ballast.

Many other minor items were available at Warley including cheap cork, a chance to look at and buy Megapoints Servo Mounts with piano wire and some plugs/sockets from Squires.

 

All-in-all a worthwhile visit this year.

 

When the plan is laid out on the proper boards the various tracks will be spaced somewhat wider apart. On these test boards the width is constricted by having to have the 'pads' with the hinges mounted on them. This is because the only way to remove the test boards from the shelving unit is the fold them.

 

EL

 

20191127_112415.jpg

20191127_112424.jpg

Elbow Lane4.jpg

Edited by ElbowLane00
missing photo
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First board, the fiddleyard board has been put together.

 

A Tim Horn masterpiece of laser cut plywood. Beautiful.

 

If you are thinking of building these, just make sure to have enough clamps of the correct size.

 

EL

20191202_155715.jpg

20191202_155710.jpg

20191202_155655.jpg

20191202_155650.jpg

Edited by ElbowLane00
addding photos
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your not the only one who keeps changing Track Plans, I'm on my 4th re lay of Argyle Street, final Plan will appear tomorrow, haha.

 

Yours looks a nice set up with those superb Base Boards. Very nice.:good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Your not the only one who keeps changing Track Plans, I'm on my 4th re lay of Argyle Street, final Plan will appear tomorrow, haha.

 

Yours looks a nice set up with those superb Base Boards. Very nice.:good:

 

Thanks Andy.

 

Soon as I posted the pic of the board I had another idea for the trackplan.

 

I'm not posting this new one as I'm not quite sure of it. No 7 by the way.

 

Hahahah

 

EL

  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things I've learnt and things I have realised whilst building this first board.

 

I will repeat the need to have the right size of clamps for the size of board you intend to build.

I found I needed to purchase a couple of sash clamps to keep the parts in shape whilst gluing.

When fixing some parts, particularly the 'outer' ends, consider dry fitting some other parts (sides) to keep the ends in the correct place/at the correct angle whilst the glue on the ends dries.  

 

First DON'T rush to get boards built quickly. Stick (haha) to Tim's instructions.

 

Lay out the track plan on the board top before fitting the diagonal braces. You have some choice as to what way these crisscross the boards so it is possible to avoid where you might want point motors or other items that need to be on the underside.

 

Good luck.

 

EL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ElbowLane00 said:

Things I've learnt and things I have realised whilst building this first board.

 

I will repeat the need to have the right size of clamps for the size of board you intend to build.

I found I needed to purchase a couple of sash clamps to keep the parts in shape whilst gluing.

When fixing some parts, particularly the 'outer' ends, consider dry fitting some other parts (sides) to keep the ends in the correct place/at the correct angle whilst the glue on the ends dries.  

 

First DON'T rush to get boards built quickly. Stick (haha) to Tim's instructions.

 

Lay out the track plan on the board top before fitting the diagonal braces. You have some choice as to what way these crisscross the boards so it is possible to avoid where you might want point motors or other items that need to be on the underside.

 

Good luck.

 

EL

 

Some interesting ideas there.

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This morning just about the last pieces for the build have arrived.

 

Peco 00 Bullhead track and another RH turnout.

 

Must say congratualtions the Track-Shack. Brilliant prices and even more brilliant delivery. Ordered 15.30 testerday and delivered Noon today by 1st Class Royal Mail.

 

Can't get better than that.

 

EL

20191207_114949.jpg

Edited by ElbowLane00
add photo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Construction of the main scenic boards is about to start.

 

A final trackplan has been decided on and it has been set out and printed using the brilliant Templot.

 

The last turnout has arrived along with the plain track. All Peco 00 Code 75 Bullhead.

 

I've tested the Megapoints Servo mounts but they are not a touch on the Dingo mounts. Yes I know the Megas are only £1 each compared to Dingos at £6 but you get what you pay for. Also the Dingos include two micro switches and all the screws need to construct it and mount it. No provision is made in the Mega mount for fitting switches.

(Also a thing that annoyed me a bit is that Megpoints insist on selling you 12 when all I wanted was 5. Then when I settle to buy the 12, I'm given two identical laser cut sheets. 6 on each. I mean, what is the point?? Am I missing something here??)

 

Stay tuned

 

EL

 

 

20191211_105908.jpg

20191211_105853.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New track plan is interesting.

 

Now looking forward to seeing the boards built. Can you post pics please?

 

Dave.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.