More Trains in the Media These Days?

Sir TophamHatt

I haven't seen railways in the media as much as recent months.

There seems to be a lot more programmes recently (granted, some re-runs) and yesterday on my local BBC radio station, one of the presenters visited a person who built a mini steam train and rents it out.  This morning, she discussed about visiting Loughborough Brush.

Are we returning to a bronze age of railways? (not quite golden :P)

I certainly think the "geekism" factor of liking trains is getting lower.  Whether that's because they've become less geeky or whether less and less people pick on people who have particular likes / hobbies these days, I don't know.

Interesting though.

Interesting observation, and I agree.

This morning Radio 4 managed to stretch the 09.30 programme Classified Britain "Ripley and Heanor News, 2 July 1948" to be recorded at the MRT at Swanwick/Butterley.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

4 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

I certainly think the "geekism" factor of liking trains is getting lower.  Whether that's because they've become less geeky or whether less and less people pick on people who have particular likes / hobbies these days, I don't know.

Interesting though.

I think that "geekism" in general is currently the norm. Especially with those under the age of about 45. Probably what you would call the gamer generation.

Could you imagine thirty years ago people turning up at Sci Fi/comic book shows or cinemas dressed up as the characters? Or adults going to parties or music gigs in fancy dress?

Then there is things like LEGO sets aimed at adults. As an example Friends. That's clearly not aimed at kids, more middle aged people who watched it 25 years ago.

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/central-perk-21319?CMP=EMC-SAH-20190901PROMOTIONALEXCLUSIVESFRIENDSCENTRAL_EMEAGB&HQS=HEROIMG_EN&RMID=SAH_20190901_FriendsCentralPerk_Exclusives_GL&RRID=363004699

Jason