Jump to content

Richard Mawer

The Stonethwaite and Bainrigg Railway

Recommended Posts

As a side project to my main layout: Buckingham West, a group of us have decided to build an 0-16.5 (7mm scale) narrow gauge exhibition layout.

 

Whilst each to his own (Rule 1 applies) we see many layouts of this scale and gauge which are very small roundy-roundy layouts with tight curves and do not represent either prototypes or even fictional lines with a purpose. We aim to create a scenic layout, run at prototypical speeds, but with a fictional location etc.

 

There are some 0-16.5 layouts like this and there are many great 009 layouts out there.

 

Its a project for us to enjoy ourselves and to use and learn techniques and systems we have not used before. None of us have made an exhibition layout before, but I have been a member of the High Wycombe club (HWDMRS) and have learned much from the great chaps there.

 

We are using DCC with sound and will have many operating features on the layout to keep the public entertained - but this is not going to be a toy.

 

The narrative behind the model is a narrow gauge line in Yorkshire linking a stone quarry with a canal wharf on the edge of a large northern town. The line prospered (I did say fiction!) and a passenger service and general goods service came about. It is set in the 1930's

 

As a first stage we are building the wharf scene and a fiddle yard, which we hope to have up and running and suitable for exhibiting in just over a year. Woodwork and procuring is well underway. The scenic area is 7'6" x 1'8". Once this is done, we will build additional modules with the aim of producing a flexible modular layout that can be erected in a number of different configurations to suit Exhibition Manager's requirements. It will be able to be erected in a straight line or an L or even a U shape and could extend towards 30' in length. The end game is ambitious, hence doing it in stages.

 

We will post updates and photos as soon as there is something to see.

 

Rich

  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Richard Mawer said:

As a side project to my main layout: Buckingham West, a group of us have decided to build an 0-16.5 (7mm scale) narrow gauge exhibition layout.

 

Whilst each to his own (Rule 1 applies) we see many layouts of this scale and gauge which are very small roundy-roundy layouts with tight curves and do not represent either prototypes or even fictional lines with a purpose. We aim to create a scenic layout, run at prototypical speeds, but with a fictional location etc.

 

There are some 0-16.5 layouts like this and there are many great 009 layouts out there.

 

Its a project for us to enjoy ourselves and to use and learn techniques and systems we have not used before. None of us have made an exhibition layout before, but I have been a member of the High Wycombe club (HWDMRS) and have learned much from the great chaps there.

 

We are using DCC with sound and will have many operating features on the layout to keep the public entertained - but this is not going to be a toy.

 

The narrative behind the model is a narrow gauge line in Yorkshire linking a stone quarry with a canal wharf on the edge of a large northern town. The line prospered (I did say fiction!) and a passenger service and general goods service came about. It is set in the 1930's

 

As a first stage we are building the wharf scene and a fiddle yard, which we hope to have up and running and suitable for exhibiting in just over a year. Woodwork and procuring is well underway. The scenic area is 7'6" x 1'8". Once this is done, we will build additional modules with the aim of producing a flexible modular layout that can be erected in a number of different configurations to suit Exhibition Manager's requirements. It will be able to be erected in a straight line or an L or even a U shape and could extend towards 30' in length. The end game is ambitious, hence doing it in stages.

 

We will post updates and photos as soon as there is something to see.

 

Rich

Hi Rich

 

I shall look forward to seeing the updates and news of the development of The Stonethwaite and Bainrigg. Knowing your enthusiasm I'm sure it will not be long before we are seeing things starting to happen.

 

Best Wishes

  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look forward to following this....

Don't forget scenery design first then run the railway through it!!

Always works for me.

  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run a show in Reading and would be interested in having it (at least in its smaller form) when it's ready for exhibition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/09/2019 at 23:51, RJS1977 said:

I run a show in Reading and would be interested in having it (at least in its smaller form) when it's ready for exhibition.

 

Hi, thats excellent news and very kind of you to offer. I think we will be there in about a year. When is your show?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

STONETHWAITE BASEBOARDS

 

The baseboards for the wharf have been made. Track has arrived and stock is arriving almost daily. Soooo many kits.

 

041F8532-6352-4E02-8647-7A87FAB29500.jpeg.9d584acd63f4aac7b30093d96b04ae54.jpeg

 

D1E74A70-2B45-4344-B300-17B3579AB54F.jpeg.df43087da6715475ac4cdf3eff791b51.jpeg

 

Next step is laying out the track, marking up and then drilling and cutting the holes for points etc. 

  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Richard Mawer said:

 

Hi, thats excellent news and very kind of you to offer. I think we will be there in about a year. When is your show?

 

Usually the second Saturday of the February half term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll certainly bear you in mind when I start planning for 2021 :-)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to seeing this Richard - I'd like to say I will see you at the first exhibition, but unless its in Spain..... now there's an idea :-)

 

All the best with the project, but importantly, have fun.

 

Regards, Neal.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Looking forward to seeing this Richard - I'd like to say I will see you at the first exhibition, but unless its in Spain..... now there's an idea :-)

 

All the best with the project, but importantly, have fun.

 

Regards, Neal.

Are you living out there full time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Richard Mawer said:

Are you living out there full time?

 

Yes Richard, moved over in February this year.

 

We are currently in France, having been travelling across the UK for the last month. In total we will have been away for something like 6 weeks.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No.1

 

I’ve spent a pleasant week building my first ever loco. Its a Smallbrook Studios Clio with a Hornby 0-4-0 chassis. In addition I have shoehorned a DCC sound chip, speaker, headlamps and firebox. I’ve just painted her and am waiting for the mini LEDs to arrive so I can glue the cab on and finish her.

 

F692D416-1292-438A-A8A4-11770B478D18.jpeg.108013ea295f929782d7830e91bcf700.jpeg

 

86B7C69A-913A-4B6C-BF36-01E336A198B5.jpeg.c2ac31c059f0cf9404879948276361ae.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.