Kidmore Boxed 2

Having got the bug of building OO layouts in Really Useful Box wrapping paper boxes, had another idea so now embarking on my fourth.  Rather than build my usual baseboard of 6mm MDF on a softwood frame, decided to try a baseboard kit from Scale Model Scenery (SMS) which is designed specifically for said box.  Word of warning, SMS recommend a dry run of parts .... definitely needed, but once done simplicity itself & a parts are a perfect fit.

The theme this time will be a scrapyard served simply by a Pug or an 0-6-0.  Image shows basic thoughts so far.  Track has been laid on cork templates from Model Railway Solutions, always my preferred option.  At this stage track has not been stuck down & obviously awaits ballasting.  Platform with the grounded van has been placed to provide measurement for wagon clearance.  The white area has been cut to approximate size for the intended main scrapyard.

Previous attempts may be found at "Kidmore Boxed".

IMG_1640.JPG

Edited by noctilux2
Forgot to add image, muppet !!
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of progress since last post.  Track now ballasted & weathered using Railmatch Track Dirt.  Background buildings & the loading bay have been given a coat of car primer, courtesy the £ Shop !  The slightly raised area, I'm not a fan of totally flat boards, between the two sidings (seen in white) is awaiting a plaster bandage coating.  Unsure whether the mangled coaches are going to be a fit, seem a bit big for this layout & may well be returned to spares box.  Apart from track, nothing as yet finalised !!

IMG_1650.JPG

IMG_1651.JPG

IMG_1652.JPG

IMG_1653.JPG

• Like 9

Managed to get a few bits done.  Low relief (very) backscene building now completed & grass bank given its first coat of "grass".  Intend to add some really overgrown stuff.  Scrap yard office added, a Bachmann RTP picked up s/h.  Work now continues with creating the actual scrapyard but still awaiting some bits.

IMG_1655.JPG

IMG_1654.JPG

IMG_1658.JPG

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Have been able to progress this offering to about 95% completion;  still awaiting a couple of bits from China however.  Images attached ..... you just have to remember this is only 28 x 8" !

So happy with this one, have started a second on a Scale Model Scenery baseboard for my HO scale stock ..... see "Kidmore Valley Railroad" (this Forum) & a third is in my head !!

IMG_1672.JPG

IMG_1675.JPG

IMG_1674.JPG

IMG_1680.JPG

IMG_1678.JPG

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, olitom32 said:

Do you operate this layout in the box or take it out? Are they easy to take out?

I take it out & operate it on the closed box.  No problem to take out at all; I can totally recommend the baseboard kits.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my Hornby Ruston so thought I'd take a few images before it gets a suitable weathering treatment !  Strikes me as a perfect fit for the industrial style micro, the tiny proportions fits this 28 x 8" space perfectly I think.

IMG_1691.JPG

IMG_1690.JPG

IMG_1693.JPG

• Like 2