Farish Class 319

TomE

Problem with bench testing going from DC to DCC.

Just been converting my Northern Rail 319 from DC to DCC. Brilliant that Farish has got the conversion down to a single DCC  decoder and I can see that moving to sound will be easy as well.

I ran the train on DC, so I knew it worked, and then waited for the Next18 decoder to arrive. You need to have both of the middle cars on the track to get them to move so installed the decoder, coupled them up and tried them. Nothing. Took the decoder out and refitted the bypass board and still nothing. Came on here to see if anyone had had a cimilar problem but nothing. It was only after stewing for a half hour or so trying various things that I realised there are two ways round to connect the two centre coaches. I reversed them and now they work fine. I can see its now obvious that the pantograph goes as near the centre as possible but with just two coaches on the track its easy to miss which way round the two centre coaches have to go!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/09/2023 at 16:00, davepallant said:

Problem with bench testing going from DC to DCC.

Just been converting my Northern Rail 319 from DC to DCC. Brilliant that Farish has got the conversion down to a single DCC  decoder and I can see that moving to sound will be easy as well.

I ran the train on DC, so I knew it worked, and then waited for the Next18 decoder to arrive. You need to have both of the middle cars on the track to get them to move so installed the decoder, coupled them up and tried them. Nothing. Took the decoder out and refitted the bypass board and still nothing. Came on here to see if anyone had had a cimilar problem but nothing. It was only after stewing for a half hour or so trying various things that I realised there are two ways round to connect the two centre coaches. I reversed them and now they work fine. I can see its now obvious that the pantograph goes as near the centre as possible but with just two coaches on the track its easy to miss which way round the two centre coaches have to go!

Toilet end of TOSL next to pantograph end of MOS. Pan next to (toilet) pan!

• Like 2