Farish Class 319

TomE

The seat moulding for the toilet vehicle on both NSE and Thameslink liveries has just one toilet (not to the accessible toilet profile) where there should be two, one on each side. This is hard to spot on the NSE version because that has the correct bodyshell with small toilet window on both sides. The TL bodyshell would be accurate for the last couple of years of service where accessible toilets had been fitted. However, the only liveries suitable for this bodyshell are the basic light grey or Northern. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Yes perhaps slightly on the narrow side, however it's good to see Bachmann have tooled both styles of door. I didn't even know there were two styles until 5 minutes ago! 

I'll be honest with you, I worked on them for about 5 years until they left Thameslink, and didn't realise until a couple of years later that they had two designs of cab door! You just followed the vehicle maintenance instruction for whichever unit you were working on and that was it.

11 hours ago, TomE said:

More images and my thoughts on the 319 now up here

Tom. 

Brilliant article Tom, very detailed. I'm still waiting for a pre-ordered set to arrive and your article has added to my excitement. 

It did raise have one question. In the prototype section it doesn't mention the service from Gatwick airport up to rugby along the WCML. Do you know if this started after privatisation as a connex service, or if it started as a NSE service? I remember NSE units running along the southern end of the WCML, but I was only very young in the mid to late 90s and some of the details passed me by. I have seen photos of NSE units with connex branding and this could be what I remember having seen. Anyway I could very much understand if you just don't know, but it did interest me. 

All the best,

Dave

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Brilliant article Tom, very detailed. I'm still waiting for a pre-ordered set to arrive and your article has added to my excitement. 

It did raise have one question. In the prototype section it doesn't mention the service from Gatwick airport up to rugby along the WCML. Do you know if this started after privatisation as a connex service, or if it started as a NSE service? I remember NSE units running along the southern end of the WCML, but I was only very young in the mid to late 90s and some of the details passed me by. I have seen photos of NSE units with connex branding and this could be what I remember having seen. Anyway I could very much understand if you just don't know, but it did interest me. 

All the best,

Dave

It was a Connex initiative and nothing to do with NSE!

Could you be getting confused between 319 and 321 units (the later being built by NSE specifically for the WCML commuter operation out of London)

Remember the WLL didn't get electrified till circa 1992 for Eurostar - and even then it left a non electrified gap between Mitre Bridge Junction and Willesden High Level Junction!

Therefore when NSE reintroduced a Clapham - Willesden service  it was with 1st generation DMMUs and stayed that way till October 1994 when the gap got filled and 313 units could be used.

Here is a photo taken in July 92 with electrification and resignaling works underway

33101_22-7-1992

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

All the best,

Dave

Ah, missed that one! June 97 seems to ring a bell for the start of that service with Connex though. 

Tom.  

• RMweb Gold

I've had contact from Bachmann to say that they are aware of the missing shoe beams and will be taking action to rectify that issue. They will publish more information on the resolution in due course. 

Tom.  

2 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

All the best,

Dave

1 hour ago, phil-b259 said:

It was a Connex initiative and nothing to do with NSE!

Could you be getting confused between 319 and 321 units (the later being built by NSE specifically for the WCML commuter operation out of London)

Remember the WLL didn't get electrified till circa 1992 for Eurostar - and even then it left a non electrified gap between Mitre Bridge Junction and Willesden High Level Junction!

Therefore when NSE reintroduced a Clapham - Willesden service  it was with 1st generation DMMUs and stayed that way till October 1994 when the gap got filled and 313 units could be used.

Here is a photo taken in July 92 with electrification and resignaling works underway

33101_22-7-1992

Gatwick - Rugby was a Network SouthCentral post privatisation initiative but started before the Connex rebrand was announced (I worked as part of the team that brought them in). Therefore it was operated by 319s still in NSE livery (but with 'Network SouthCentral' on the side).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

At privatisation the first 20 319001-20 were allocated to Network Southcentral. These were used on the Gatwick to Rugby service…….

, along with various Suburban routes. I worked in the Control in Stephenson House, Croydon. Almost without fail on Mondays the first northbound service would have its shoegear ripped off due to high ballast on the WCML after engineering works.

Connex planned eventually that the Rugby service would be extended to New Street and then Manchester.  That of course didn’t happen.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, acg5324 said:

Almost without fail on Mondays the first northbound service with have its shoegear ripped off due to high ballast on the WCML after engineering works.

Maybe that explains the missing shoegear on the model! 

Tom. 

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
On 24/06/2022 at 22:27, John M Upton said:

That's not a gap, its a chasm....

Very much like the Dapol class 142. Is a shorter cosmetic set included?

I hope Farish do better with the 158.

Steven B.

Edited by Steven B

• RMweb Gold

The price wasn't given in 2016 when first announced. I think the first RRP released was around £289 a couple of years ago. 

I do remember Hattons jumped in with a pre-order price of £144 shortly after the announcement - how optimistic was that 🤣

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all,

having unboxed my 319 this morning, I have discovered that I cannot raise the pantograph…. not so useful for an AC electric!

I don’t think I’m missing a trick and I’m applying as much pressure as I’m comfortable doing….

So really my question is; should I be able to raise the pantograph easily?…. cos if that is the case, then mine is defective…. an otherwise commendably fine model, but will have to go back for a replacement I think, especially when it is £300…. it really does need to be perfect in every aspect.

I must confess, I’ve not had much luck with Farish products recently…. the class 150 I bought the month before had marker lights on simultaneously on both vehicles, ie. also the rearward facing red light end…. showing that all manufacturers suffer niggly QC issues.

Anyway, any insight into the pantograph would be gratefully received 🙂

• RMweb Gold

There is a latch that keeps it secure when in the lowered position (on the Stone Faiveley version anyway). Worth checking that is not bent out of shape and holding it down too firm? Mine does take a little force to get it released but not a massive amount. 

Tom.  

I just checked my Northern version. There is a two pronged latch which holds the pantograph down securely. The prongs point towards the centre of the coach . The bar below the pantograph head engages with the prongs. To release, I used a screwdriver with about a 2mm head to disengage the bar from the forks by moving it gently towards the centre of the coach. It then disengages easily. The pantograph is poseable rather than sprung. 

I am surprised that it is not covered in the instructions, but I can't find a mention of it. Ruthless tugging of the pantograph will probably distort or even break it. 

Edited by Mike Harvey
Added phrase

• RMweb Premium
On 09/07/2022 at 15:15, TomE said:

There is a latch that keeps it secure when in the lowered position (on the Stone Faiveley version anyway).

On 09/07/2022 at 18:24, Mike Harvey said:

There is a two pronged latch which holds the pantograph down securely. The prongs point towards the centre of the coach . The bar below the pantograph head engages with the prongs. To release, I used a screwdriver with about a 2mm head to disengage the bar from the forks by moving it gently towards the centre of the coach.

Thanks @TomE and @Mike Harvey for the description 🙂 …. my eyesight just isn’t what it used to be and I’d never have been able to see those little latches without being told they were there.

Seems odd to have the latches if the pantograph is posable rather than sprung…. anyway, issue now resolved - thanks again 😎 !

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I was told at the Bachmann stand at DEMU showcase that they are manufacturing complete bogies with pickup shoe beams and new correct body shells to replace the incorrect ones, that will be supplied to retailers who will be responsible for sending them to customers. No idea how long that will take.

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, grahame said:

I was told at the Bachmann stand at DEMU showcase that they are manufacturing complete bogies with pickup shoe beams and new correct body shells to replace the incorrect ones, that will be supplied to retailers who will be responsible for sending them to customers. No idea how long that will take.

Yes that was confirmed in the video today.

Best

Scott.

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann should be applauded for correcting the issues with missing pickup shoes and the incorrect body for the Thameslink model, and doing so at no cost to the owner. Yes it's a shame the issues occurred in the first place, but at least they haven't adopted a like it or lump it stance. Bravo Bachmann I say!

Tom.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I do wonder if the production slot for the replacement body for the Thameslink 319 means that it is being slotted into another batch with fresh liveries...

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I had an email from the retailer from whom I purchased class 319 models saying that Bachmañn now has the correct bogies (with pick up shoe beams) and the corrected Thameslink bodies. And to claim direct from them (Bachmann) with proof of purchase.

I've emailed Bachmann using the address provided and they have responded saying they will arrange to send them out to me.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I am hoping that this is indicative whilst they have the tooling out for more releases in the next set of announcements whenever that will be.

Govia Southern green/white would see my wallet scream....

• Like 1

On 06/04/2023 at 18:41, grahame said:

I had an email from the retailer from whom I purchased class 319 models saying that Bachmañn now has the correct bogies (with pick up shoe beams) and the corrected Thameslink bodies. And to claim direct from them (Bachmann) with proof of purchase.

And my replacement bogies and body shell arrived in the post today. Just got to fit them now.

• Like 2