LNER Mobile Rectifier Set No. 1

nicktamarensis

Hello,

I have a set of photo's illustrating the above set of 12ton converted vans but I am unable to find any information on them.  I've trawled through Tatlow and unless I've missed the blindingly obvious, he has not mentioned this set of vehicles.

The vans were numbered as follows:

903721 tare 13-16, Transformer Van.

903722 tare 10-16, Rectifier Van.

903723 tare 6-15, Cable Van.

The photo's look as if they were taken after 1942 (a date recorded on one of the solebars) and all have 'Mobile Rectifier Set' plus 'N.E. C.E.E. Dept.' stencilled on the sides.

Were these conversions of earlier vans I wonder?  One plate visible is inscribed 'Doncaster' and what appears to be a 1907 date but I could be way out on the latter.

Any help on origin, purpose and longevity would be most welcome.

Nick.

5 minutes ago, russ p said:

I went to mangapps on Monday evening and John Jolly was saying that van was from one of those sets

Funnily I was reading these posts and thought about that van.

I did have a photo and I posted it on an early version of the forum to ask what it was as I did not know. 

I was told it was a Transformer Van.

Sorry, no idea where the photo is.

Bernard

• Like 1

The November 1943 edition of "Railways" has a picture of a three wagon set with the doors open, this is described as a mobile rectifier set.

There is a paragraph of text on the equipment and also a paragraph on  a similar mobile transformer set.

Would you like a scan of the page?

5 hours ago, keefer said:

I thought there may be something in Paul Bartlett's site, but only 1 van E903725 from Rectifier Set no.2.

No other details given unfortunately.

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerdepartmentalcoach/e214f09a4

(This photo and the next 3)

I also have a shot of E903725 on my Flickr site. I took my shot in 1981, Paul Bartletts shot is a couple of years layer.

E903725. [A981A-028(HR)]

Paul J.

• Like 3