Accessibility - Hornby 58ft ex LSWR rebuilds

Lissadell

Is it possible to access the interior of these coaches without damaging anything?

I was thinking about installing a few passengers ...................

Looking at the assembly on my Brake Compo, much of the underframe does not seem to be fixed to the body - it is very easy to “separate” the two.

However, the big issue ..................... the underframe is fixed at each end!  

Unfortunately not with screws and my experience of these plastics is that they aren’t too forgiving of stress.

So I wondered if anyone had found their way into these bodies without dire consequences?

Holding my breath here .................. practice for when someone tells me to twist and lever!!!

Thanks

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

To remove the bodies you need to pull out each of the buffers and release the four clips that are located two at each end just visible between the ends of the bogies and the inside of the buffer beam the entire body will then lift off. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Gold
On 01/10/2019 at 10:03, Graham_Muz said:

To remove the bodies you need to pull out each of the buffers and release the four clips that are located two at each end just visible between the ends of the bogies and the inside of the buffer beam the entire body will then lift off. 

A most interesting and informative reply, Graham.

Would you know if Hornby (and others) have rolling stock assembly/disassembly information available to customers as they do with locomotive service sheets?

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Right Away said:

A most interesting and informative reply, Graham.

Would you know if Hornby (and others) have rolling stock assembly/disassembly information available to customers as they do with locomotive service sheets?

Not usually no, it takes someone brave and or foolhardy,  *delete as appropriate,  to give it a go first, although after a while you get to be able to spot the design traits to give a clue as to what to try. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 3

On 03/10/2019 at 08:01, Right Away said:

Sounds like a sensible idea - for someone to produce .................................. after all, we get full-blown videos on how to take the things out of their packaging !

( Incidentally, I've never needed to remove the buffers when opening any of my many Maunsells : most have come quite easily with a little persuasion at the corner clips thought the centre clips sometimes won't relent as easily as you'd hope ............ and a couple of early - gangwayed - ones were a real pig as the chassis had been heavily glued to the interior ! )