Display Cabinets

I was wondering if anyone could suggest to me somewhere to source some new display cabinets. The two I currently have, whilst being of decent size, are unfortunately no longer big enough for my collection and so I am now looking for additional space. Some people have suggested having my collection stored in draws under my layout but I keep the cabinets on the wall behind my desk in my office and so it is both a pleasure to look at and removes the need for anything else to fill the empty wall space. The current cabinets are 54cm x 61cm with 5 shelves in each, so ideally I would either be looking for two cabinets larger than that, or one cabinet with that size plus more. It is also for a collection in 00 gauge.

I bought 2 of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Interlink-Furniture-99800800-Display-Collecty/dp/B002PHLZJQ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1UD1HKONKZ595&keywords=wall+display+cabinets&qid=1570560061&sprefix=wall+display+cabinets%2Caps%2C377&sr=8-5

I wanted something slim as it's a small room, they are 95mm deep, and when fixed to the wall they only protrude 100mm.

They do look good, and go together very easy. Only gripe is the shelves need support in the middle as they sag with a bit of weight on them eg. 4 locos.

So I put a screw through the back panel into the edge of each shelf at the middle for extra support.

I actually bought the teak versions, but these have now increased in price somewhat since.

• Like 1

I can reccomend the display cabinets that Lidl sell every December. Last year they were £60 each or 2 for £100. Great quality very big and a bargain at that price. There is a thread on rm web about them. 

Edited by darrel
Link added
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Hello,

I would recommend the display cabinets from Lidl. I got two last December and am well pleased. The locomotives hidden away in drawers are now stored in them and they are illuminated with mini led light strips powered from a 5 volt wall socket power plug.

Much better than a bedside table lamp. You need to be quick off the mark though as their sales tend to be popular

trustytrev.:)

cabinet.jpg.da6caba190eedae00605b0f6c6922327.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Just watch out, I suppose like most display cabinets that size, they are extremely heavy. They need a solid structure to be attached to but it also affects the logistics of getting them from the shop. Its a two man job for the large one!

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Legend said:

Just watch out, I suppose like most display cabinets that size, they are extremely heavy. They need a solid structure to be attached to but it also affects the logistics of getting them from the shop. Its a two man job for the large one!

They are and they do. SWMBO bought me one for Christmas last year and had to get a shop assistant to help her get it to the car.

It really does need a solid structure to support it - mine is  screwed into a brick wall - it took both of us to put it up, and I had to rearrange my modelling room to free up a large enough area of solid wall to mount it.

16 minutes ago, Legend said:

I take note of that already! The cabinets are mounted on a solid brick wall and I luckily have a few other in ny house that can always help with the fitting. 

10 hours ago, trustytrev said:

Hello,

I would recommend the display cabinets from Lidl. I got two last December and am well pleased. The locomotives hidden away in drawers are now stored in them and they are illuminated with mini led light strips powered from a 5 volt wall socket power plug.

Much better than a bedside table lamp. You need to be quick off the mark though as their sales tend to be popular

cabinet.jpg.da6caba190eedae00605b0f6c6922327.jpg

Thanks! I'll keep a look out. Any idea what sort of time they come in and a size of them? 

9 minutes ago, hconn said:

I take note of that already! The cabinets are mounted on a solid brick wall and I luckily have a few other in ny house that can always help with the fitting. 

Thanks! I'll keep a look out. Any idea what sort of time they come in and a size of them? 

Taking a ruler to mine 

externally, 68cm wide, 110cm high and 19.5cm deep (you need 47cm depth clearance from the wall to open the doors fully)

internally there are 10 glass shelves 11.75cm deep by about 64cm wide (you can use the base as an 11th shelf too).

I have 12 display cabinets from Picture Pride Displays. They are not cheap but are well made.  https://www.picture-pride-displays.co.uk/

I ordered them and collected rather than have them delivered and spent the day going for them. They are in Sandwell Birmingham.  Some time back they took on an order from Hornby for the A4 gathering collection and got a bit overwhelmed with the delivery as they are a small company. I personally never had any problems and they rang me when they were ready. They are made to order.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, sharris said:

Taking a ruler to mine 

externally, 68cm wide, 110cm high and 19.5cm deep (you need 47cm depth clearance from the wall to open the doors fully)

internally there are 10 glass shelves 11.75cm deep by about 64cm wide (you can use the base as an 11th shelf too).

Thanks! These would be the perfect size. 

13 hours ago, Brit70053 said:

The Lidl display cabinets usually come into stock about 2 - 3 weeks before Christmas.

Regards,

John

Thanks John! I'll keep my eye out. Luckily a Lidl just opened down the road from me! 

13 hours ago, dhjgreen said:

Big Jim has a couple for sale in classifieds, here is one of them

O

Thanks! I had noticed these but they are similar sized to mine and it would annoy my OCD that they wouldn't be the exact same. 

Hello,

When fitting the Lidl cabinets I installed the back panel then assembled the cabinet to it. Was a lot easier than trying to locate the complete assembly to fix to the wall. They are heavy to lift when purchased so think about taking a sack truck with you.

The glass adds to the overall weight substantially.

On 08/10/2019 at 19:53, philsandy said:

I bought 2 of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Interlink-Furniture-99800800-Display-Collecty/dp/B002PHLZJQ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1UD1HKONKZ595&keywords=wall+display+cabinets&qid=1570560061&sprefix=wall+display+cabinets%2Caps%2C377&sr=8-5

I wanted something slim as it's a small room, they are 95mm deep, and when fixed to the wall they only protrude 100mm.

They do look good, and go together very easy. Only gripe is the shelves need support in the middle as they sag with a bit of weight on them eg. 4 locos.

So I put a screw through the back panel into the edge of each shelf at the middle for extra support.

I actually bought the teak versions, but these have now increased in price somewhat since.

I bought one of these last week, only £36 and it does the job very well. It's only for the loft or I might have bought something with a better finish, but it's solid enough. 

If you do get one I recommend beefing up the wall fixings with bigger screws and plugs. I also fixed the shelves down with silicone. 

WP_20191012_16_08_15_Pro.jpg.a76ab0460a06a93fdcb7f87242bf5ba1.jpg

• Like 1