Jump to content

Andrew P

Argyle Street, London Midland, Central Trains, EWS, Etc

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I bet you don't change your socks that often.

Oh, do people change them, :o I thought they just fell to bits and that was a signal for some fresh ones. :laugh:haha.

  • Funny 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Oh, do people change them, :o I thought they just fell to bits and that was a signal for some fresh ones. :laugh:haha.

 

You say that in jest I trust but we had someone at work who took that statement literally. You could often see the skin of his heel above the sides of his shoes.

  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The heaters been on in TOPS for half an hour, so off now to do some little bits,:o:D possibly may even have some pics later.:good:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Andy.

My initial thoughts were "what another one...I thought you said..after the move..oh well never mind". Then I decided I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the ride. I am missing Kings Moreton though it's a shame you sold it.

I'm really liking your inter baseboard electrical connection solution. It might not be very groundbreaking but it's certainly very elegant Very nice mate. 

Regards Lez.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Hi Andy.

My initial thoughts were "what another one...I thought you said..after the move..oh well never mind". Then I decided I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the ride. I am missing Kings Moreton though it's a shame you sold it.

I'm really liking your inter baseboard electrical connection solution. It might not be very groundbreaking but it's certainly very elegant Very nice mate. 

Regards Lez.

Thanks Lez, There will be another Kings Moreton / Bitton type thing after the move I hope, possibly Somerset and Dorset, or the Mid Hants Line, still not to sure on that, but as I'll be living some 25 minutes from the Mid Hants / Watercress line, that is favourite for inspiration.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take it then you have found your new home Andy. Good luck with the move it can be very stressful. 

Regards lez.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

I take it then you have found your new home Andy. Good luck with the move it can be very stressful. 

Regards lez.

Thanks but no,:fie::cry: We thought we had sold in the first week, but then we hadn't, and we now recon it will be in the spring, hence the small Layout builds to keep my mind occupied. We have a couple of places ear marked just outside of Pompey, and just hope that they will be there to chose from in the New Year. Having said that, we have sold in December before now, so there's still time. 

In the meantime, things are hotting up in TOPS with a busy morning.:good:

  • Friendly/supportive 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday and today has consisted of lifting and re laying.

 

For those that may remember my Kingsmill Yard Layout from 2008 / 9 it was most satisfying to run, but most of all it had small things that I liked. Things such as a small Re fuelling Point, a centre road for Loco stabling much as Eastleigh and Didcot used to have, and some nice curved Yard Sidings. It also had a small Station, but the run into it was far to short to make the best of it.

 

Now although Argyle Street is shorter and slightly narrower, I wanted to see if I could get the same overall feel and running possibilities, so here is the final result.

1342419804_ArgyleStreetPlan.png.7cd6b680575458398110af1942b2a499.png

 

And some quick pics before Lunch. The Fuel Tank is from Seven Mills but I recon, once on / in a Bund it would look about right.

IMG_0267.JPG.a7b641161018a41329e2be0c4c0a17d6.JPG

 

IMG_0268.JPG.e8eb99827904916bf19bdd9b1290f667.JPG

 

IMG_0269.JPG.0b007f278a22bb921e248fb92ebbae96.JPG

 

IMG_0270.JPG.3136c5a7a4d2c44d8a2211212a65338d.JPG

 

IMG_0271.JPG.8d15b7234ba383ff24423be140dc2eda.JPG

 

IMG_0272.JPG.8f5587d9c99ed94b7e712614a3380cf1.JPG

 

IMG_0273.JPG.fe2a5b24ae88ebd81ef4a35ba0d52933.JPG

 

IMG_0274.JPG.6a2addf25a4a36b25d2c5d23480ae6bf.JPG

 

IMG_0275.JPG.9dd5a2487746575801ab7672a9f3a005.JPG

 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's looking good Andy. I recognise the fuel tank, that's the same as I used on Cawdor, from a 7mm Slaters wagon kit.

 

 

Al.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alister_G said:

That's looking good Andy. I recognise the fuel tank, that's the same as I used on Cawdor, from a 7mm Slaters wagon kit.

 

 

Al.

Thanks and yes your right, It certainly looks the right size to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In reply to a comment I made some post's ago re the wiring at the board join. In the original Build I took all the Track feeds from the Joint connector. I have new re wired, and I'm using a Bus Bar System to make fault finding easier to trace.

SO, this is how it is now.

IMG_0276.JPG.ce21b1d29a3c47857d889a4606f62924.JPG

 

IMG_0277.JPG.f106842b27bacae08da5698406b22802.JPGAnd you will notice that I've purposely made the Boards lighter by drilling loads of holes in it:o:P.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the wiring done, it was time for a play WHOOPS TEST, and all ran as it should.

 

I will also add that I have 7 Points but only had 6 Gaugemaster DCC80 Autofrogs, so 2 Points that cannot be used at the same time, but are far enough appart not to cause conflict have been wired into the same DCC80, in the first pic, you will see the Green wire in the top right hand corner going to the other point.

 

IMG_0277.JPG.2d2b07b9ec41dc2ee0ec304adc4a6ae3.JPG

 

IMG_0285.JPG.e51ddce690231b0b1faa9a96eba08e77.JPG

 

IMG_0288.JPG.8ec1360a4bb64d5b7cc1653b70b9d83d.JPG

 

IMG_0289.JPG.9c45995081e6f13b9973aa3db11555aa.JPG

 

 

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And some more pics of the testing session.

IMG_0286.JPG.b0cd1bb031b4fe499d4ef1942726ef7b.JPG

 

IMG_0287.JPG.2ce4d381a8355450cec1af719fc3ecff.JPG

 

IMG_0290.JPG.2b48c79927dcf9f21d70ca582c9a5dbb.JPG

 

IMG_0291.JPG.3ad9d05c6ebfa1295a6cbd57a62412b3.JPG

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

In reply to a comment I made some post's ago re the wiring at the board join. In the original Build I took all the Track feeds from the Joint connector. I have new re wired, and I'm using a Bus Bar System to make fault finding easier to trace.

SO, this is how it is now.

IMG_0276.JPG.ce21b1d29a3c47857d889a4606f62924.JPG

 

IMG_0277.JPG.f106842b27bacae08da5698406b22802.JPGAnd you will notice that I've purposely made the Boards lighter by drilling loads of holes in it:o:P.

 

 

And there was me thinking you had gone all religious on us with a holely baseboard.

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

And there was me thinking you had gone all religious on us with a holely baseboard.

Forgive me Farther Clive, for I have Drilled.:man_in_love_mini:

  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And so back in the real world.:boredom:

IMG_0293.JPG.ef6ea49ec273b78a7e1957d5c96415c3.JPG

 

IMG_0294.JPG.80e71bea84914c6faa8c05de8253574a.JPG

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm wondering if I can get away with that 7mm Tank, here's a pic of the one at Exeter St Davids.

1443203307_exeter12.JPG.6e2590e6de82222c902b57d8c202c6f6.JPG

 

Especially if it was almost on the ground.

IMG_0274.JPG.0de1ffa40024b1b7a085f4c307c54323.JPG

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon so, the prototype pic doesn't have a very big berm round it, by the look of it.

 

Al.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

I reckon so, the prototype pic doesn't have a very big berm round it, by the look of it.

 

Al.

I think that had a shallow pit under it by the looks of the steps in the foreground.

 

Or I could do a box like Peak Forest.

835983619_60099PEAKFOREST170406AP.JPG.18472768e6756339204081afc7b6b239.JPG

 

1152546620_60073MainlineTTG(GT).JPG.0a518d12a1ac205355242d0cd747c95e.JPG

  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

 

This is the one at StBlazey......

Seems even larger than the StDavids one & the bund wall is quite big.....

1302601559_23.9.05StBLAZEYB015.resized.jpg.9fa4b6efec56988c977a262e81d5184c.jpg

 

Cheers Bill

Edited by treggyman
To correct putting StBlazey where StDavids should be
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, treggyman said:

Hi

 

This is the one at StBlazey......

Seems even larger than the StBlazey one & the bund wall is quite big.....

1302601559_23.9.05StBLAZEYB015.resized.jpg.9fa4b6efec56988c977a262e81d5184c.jpg

 

Cheers Bill

Thanks Bill, that's a great pic and gives me another avenue to explore.:good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Andy

 

Some thoughts on tanks.

 

First to remember tanks can be any size, but will tend to be proportional as to length vs diameter.

There naturally tends to be a range of loosely standard sizes, although as each is individually built

its not uncommon to find odd bespoke examples.

 

More important is how it is mounted and how the bund is provided.

 

In your pics I would suggest the tank is too high. Why go to the expense of building the mounts higher than neccessary?

The exception is where mounting the tank high allows fpr gravity dischargem but normelly applies to smaller tanks only.

 

The bund needs to be large enough to hold more than the capacity of the tank, but also needs to allow for how a full tank

would dicharge should it split (at its widest point). i.e. how far it "pees" from the tank. The bund needs to catch this.

 

Also good practise would have all pipework either under ground as part of the groundworks, or above ground and passing

over the bund wall. Pipes should not pass through the bund brickwork, as this compromises the security of the bund, which

could lead to a leak just when the bund is called upon to do its job.

 

Therefore I vote yes to your tank, set low, but with a large enough bund, which incidentally doesn,t have to be rectangular.

 

All the best, and looking forward to the S&D -

 

TONY

  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mulgabill said:

Hi Andy

 

Some thoughts on tanks.

 

First to remember tanks can be any size, but will tend to be proportional as to length vs diameter.

There naturally tends to be a range of loosely standard sizes, although as each is individually built

its not uncommon to find odd bespoke examples.

 

More important is how it is mounted and how the bund is provided.

 

In your pics I would suggest the tank is too high. Why go to the expense of building the mounts higher than neccessary?

The exception is where mounting the tank high allows fpr gravity dischargem but normelly applies to smaller tanks only.

 

The bund needs to be large enough to hold more than the capacity of the tank, but also needs to allow for how a full tank

would dicharge should it split (at its widest point). i.e. how far it "pees" from the tank. The bund needs to catch this.

 

Also good practise would have all pipework either under ground as part of the groundworks, or above ground and passing

over the bund wall. Pipes should not pass through the bund brickwork, as this compromises the security of the bund, which

could lead to a leak just when the bund is called upon to do its job.

 

Therefore I vote yes to your tank, set low, but with a large enough bund, which incidentally doesn,t have to be rectangular.

 

All the best, and looking forward to the S&D -

 

TONY

Great information Tony, Thanks mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Tank on Kingsmill TMD looked good, but now I think looks a bit small, so I will either go for the 7mm one or build a square one.

1712095178_IMG_8428-Copy.JPG.c02d892feab1f831f2a760f7a2caf218.JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neat wiring.

you could of course do 2 wires, but reliable running still demands, for me, independent track feeds so I don’t rely on fishplates 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.