Millholme Unrebuilt Merchant Navy

For better or worse I bought one of these on ebay a week or so ago. Part built, but glued, I had some fun yesterday dismantling same in a pan of boiling water, then cleaning up the bits.

It didn't however come with instructions, and there are rather a lot of small bits in bags that are not obvious as to purpose.

In the event anyone has a set of instructions, please could you scan or photograph them, then either post here or send a pm.

Much appreciated in advance,

John.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I am on the case, give me some time to have lunch and I will scan in the instructions I have for my second Millholme original MN.47918123_IMG_4582(2).JPG.fd5d6604941bb1cc047948a7980109bd.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

First one completed a while ago, not too tricky to build.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

I made my Dad's model back in late 2000 when I was between jobs.

The chassis was from the new Hornby loco so shouldn't really have the balance weights but that was the first of many compromises. I ended up having to make the whole front end casing from 5 thou brass sheet and as the smokebox door moulding was out in height the smoke deflectors are about 1mm too shallow in depth. Additional depth was also given along the bottom edge of the casing of the loco and tender. To the purist there are probably numerous faults but my Dad was certainly pleased with it.

1867083451_MerchantNavy.JPG.17be466602fdd67f8f660979dbc2039d.JPG

Edited by Flood
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Richard,

Many thanks indeed for your very prompt response to my request. It makes a lot more sense now!

I'll be delighted if my effort has anything like the character of your 35030, the metal castings certainly give a sense of substance that somehow isn't there on the RTR offerings, fine as they are.

John.

• Agree 1

Flood,

Thanks for posting the picture, the model looks well whatever your reservations. I had wondered about a blue scheme, and now I know how it would look.

Funnily enough I've just detailed and sprayed a Hornby P2 into a fictional BR early blue which I quite like - lining still do to - I wonder what Bulleid would have made of that!

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks John. 

Wish you the very best with the kit, I have another one to build which will be in the condition of the first ten after the front skirting was removed. I have also built a PDK kit of the same series with the original cab and all the casing in place.

1202802522_IMG_4738(3).JPG.d41cb91ba679e135c3fb2d20e260d08d.JPG

1642851661_IMG_4743(3).JPG.72cfcc5f8c54f8bb8026f7b89e864f65.JPG

They really were great locomotives!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

There is a photo in "Steam Around Eastleigh" of 35009 ex-works which was a real delight to work from. As my Dad started at Eastleigh Works as an apprentice in January 1949 his models are all from the 1948-1951 period, either examples of classes he saw on a regular basis or those he rode on during his apprenticeship.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

For better or worse I bought one of these on ebay a week or so ago. Part built, but glued, I had some fun yesterday dismantling same in a pan of boiling water, then cleaning up the bits.

It didn't however come with instructions, and there are rather a lot of small bits in bags that are not obvious as to purpose.

In the event anyone has a set of instructions, please could you scan or photograph them, then either post here or send a pm.

Much appreciated in advance,

John.

John

I must admit I really enjoy bringing older locomotives into the 21st century, and whitemetal is my favoured medium for bodyworks. My own locos I am trying to have etched chassis as the norm and certainly can motors with gearboxes rather than the older style openframe motors with motor mounts or chassis mounts.

In theory this big beast can house a nice big can motor for strong running

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Flood,

Lovely to hear about your Dad. I started as a Fitting Apprentice at Eastleigh Loco Works in September 1963. I stayed a year in the Training School and then around the Southern Region Depots since I was a CM&EE Apprentice. Still plenty of Bulleid pacifics (and other types) being overhauled at that time. Had some nice footplate rides due to temporary possession of footplate pass. Happy Days!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

I never got the chassis on my first one to run properly. I ended up putting a Hornby chassis under the Millholme 3rd series MN body.

I have a first series kit still unmade in its box to tackle at some time during my forthcoming retirement.

I missed the OP asking for the instructions, but I'm glad Richard B (30368) responded - saving me from scanning mine. :)

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks to you all for your encouragement, not least by posting some lovely examples of your work.

I have now got to the point of a free running chassis, albeit on 24mm Romford spoked wheels, and a basic bodyshell sitting level in both planes on aforementioned chassis. So it's getting there, but parked for the moment as I had several big airbrushing sessions over the last few weeks, and I'm trying to finish the various models involved with decals and varnishes.

John.

• Like 1