West Somerset Railway's future in doubt after £800k loss

KeithMacdonald

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Long time, no update. How is the WSR faring these days? Are the internal strifes/relationships between PLC & the volunteer organisations better? Is the financial situation looking better?

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

Long time, no update. How is the WSR faring these days? Are the internal strifes/relationships between PLC & the volunteer organisations better? Is the financial situation looking better?

I've bought a ticket for the Diesel Gala 7/6/23 ......fingers crossed

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Ive been a WSR volunteer for 40 years so I am biased, but in my view things are going pretty well or, at least, no worse than on any other heritage railway with the usual coal, passenger numbers and volunteers issues that bedevil all railways.  The spring gala was an outstanding success and things are looking good for the diesel gala.  I'll be at minehead signing copies of my new book about the railway published by the Middleton Press. Pop in and see me if you're around.

Ian Coleby

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, ikcdab said:

Ive been a WSR volunteer for 40 years so I am biased, but in my view things are going pretty well or, at least, no worse than on any other heritage railway with the usual coal, passenger numbers and volunteers issues that bedevil all railways.  The spring gala was an outstanding success and things are looking good for the diesel gala.  I'll be at minehead signing copies of my new book about the railway published by the Middleton Press. Pop in and see me if you're around.

Ian Coleby

That's good to hear.

I can't make the gala, but might be able to come out to play on 24th/25th June for 25309.

There are many issues about the WSR, however the one that applies to all lines to a greater or lesser extent is 'is enough money being spent on infrastructure'

What clearly doesnt help is the way the line is structured and despite recommendations most recently in The Bailey Report there seems to be no move towards implementing its recommendations which would bring the structure broadly into line with most other heritage railways.  This would make it much simpler to apply for grant funding as well as claiming Gift Aid.

The recommendation some years ago from a WSR Board member was that about £1million a year was needed to keep the infrastructure in good order and that doesnt include the MK1 fleet which is becoming increasingly elderly and will require major works, although this is a problem shared with many other lines.

Is this money being raised or spent?  A question to be asked about other lines as well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1