42 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Hello Gibbo,

Any chance you could post more details and pics on the changes you made to the Booth Rodley crane's running gear please?

Hi Andy,

I'm busy this weekend so I shall draw up some sketches with some explanations of what I did and how I did it next week sometime. Should I forget send me a PM to busy me up.

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1

Hi Folks,

Here is my latest crane build it is a GWR Mk2 6 ton hand crane. So far it has only had a first coat of black paint and it may well be some months before it is finished as I am quite good at being distracted with other projects.

DSCF0899.JPG.12b388dcc334916606268b6fc1351cd0.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

Here is my latest crane build it is a GWR Mk2 6 ton hand crane. So far it has only had a first coat of black paint and it may well be some months before it is finished as I am quite good at being distracted with other projects.

DSCF0899.JPG.12b388dcc334916606268b6fc1351cd0.JPG

Gibbo.

You may well already be aware, but my transfer Sheet S2A includes transfers for that crane.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

You may well already be aware, but my transfer Sheet S2A includes transfers for that crane.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

Hi John,

I have an order in the offing soon enough as I have built some Dapol 35 ton tank wagons recently and I shall tag it on to that !

Thanks for prompting me to check your catalogue.

Gibbo.

On 13/12/2019 at 02:42, Gibbo675 said:

DSCF0860.JPG.61390835d1a5f9f8640c4b4005b458b0.JPG

Coles 10 ton diesel electric crane, scratch built.

HI Gibbo,

Very much liking this

Would you have any more information on how you built this? (A build thread?) Did you start with a Corgi Coles crane? Do you have drawings?

I've thought about using the Nonneminstre Models as a basis, or maybe just to measure the panels and and use the cab -  but a lot of hacking would be involved.

James

6 hours ago, Down_Under said:

HI Gibbo,

Very much liking this

Would you have any more information on how you built this? (A build thread?) Did you start with a Corgi Coles crane? Do you have drawings?

I've thought about using the Nonneminstre Models as a basis, or maybe just to measure the panels and and use the cab -  but a lot of hacking would be involved.

James

Hi James,

My Coles crane build is almost entirely scratch built with only the bogies being left overs from a Dapol Booth Rodley cane kit. The crane that you have linked to is of a different type to the one I have built although a lot of the smaller mobile Coles cranes both, road and rail mounted, do look similar. The Jib runner is an LNER plate wagon with a scratch built support again made up from photographic research and a bit of guess work.

I could do a drawing for the crane and post it here as I worked from a drawing in Peter Tatlow's book which although wasn't to scale did have leading dimensions. Where the drawing was deficient I worked form photographs and guessed the rest !

There are good photographs of Coles cranes in railway service on this site, gallery, "DR-813-- CCE HD DE Cranes, runners, match". Cole cranes used in industry are in the gallery, "Industrial Cranes" from the same link:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=cranes

Here is another link to Coles cranes which I found useful:

http://www.tonyonthemoon.co.uk/Coles-type-5-rail-cranes-database.html

There are line drawings of various cranes but strangely the variant that I have built that were delivered to BR in 1959 are not listed. The nearest type seems to be the Atlantis type of 1954.

I shall describe the Coles build more when I do a drawing soon enough.

Gibbo.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning on making a 3d printed GWR match truck to suit the new Oxford crane. Does anyone have some accurate specs for one also does anyone know of a possible chassis we could use an just 3d print the top half like tool boxes an jib support etc. Any info would be much appreciated. 

Kind regards Neil 

7 hours ago, B15nac said:

I'm planning on making a 3d printed GWR match truck to suit the new Oxford crane. Does anyone have some accurate specs for one also does anyone know of a possible chassis we could use an just 3d print the top half like tool boxes an jib support etc. Any info would be much appreciated. 

Kind regards Neil 

Hi Neil,

The above posting and below link has two drawings within it that I'm sure you could use to work out what is required or if there is a suitable wagon frame set available to use.

http://www.bpodmore.co.uk/Projects/Breakdown_Crane.htm

I found that by right click on the drawings and opening them in a new tab I coild expand the drawing so that I could see it properly although the dimensions on the original are quite indistinct.

Gibbo.

2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Neil,

The above posting and below link has two drawings within it that I'm sure you could use to work out what is required or if there is a suitable wagon frame set available to use.

http://www.bpodmore.co.uk/Projects/Breakdown_Crane.htm

I found that by right click on the drawings and opening them in a new tab I coild expand the drawing so that I could see it properly although the dimensions on the original are quite indistinct.

Gibbo.

OK thanks Gibbo this will be helpful. Im hoping I can track down a rtr chassis Somewhere that will be near enough right. 

Regards Neil 

• Like 1

Hi

This is the match truck I want to model this is the Newton abbot one. It seem shorter than most others an the brassmasters version. Does anybody no of a suitable chassis from another wagon? If so that would be a great help. I'm planning on 3d printing the top half of the wagon tool box's an jib support etc. 

Regards Neil 

_20200129_213536.JPG

• RMweb Gold
On 14/12/2019 at 16:25, TangoOscarMike said:

Aye, boat duly floated!

In real life, are rail mounted cranes exclusively for breakdowns? Or do they sometimes get used for other things (construction? moving freight in exceptional curcumstances? (moving freight in normal circumstances?)...)?

Cheers

Tom

Quite a time from the original query, but I have only just returned to the thread. There is a nice photo of a crane. which I think someone said had been borrowed/hired from GWR*, being used to lift the boiler out of S&DJR coaster Julia, for work to be carried out at Highbridge Works, a mile or so down the line. The photo was in the excellent The Maritime Activities of the S&D... by Chris Handley.

*Maybe they said it came on the GWR via Bristol.

Edited by phil_sutters
Modified info

• 2 weeks later...

I remember watching a youtube vid of an exhibtion layouts where one group had a set event to allow the usuall operaters to go off and have their lunch..the event consisted of a derailment (by the hand of gawd) and the arrival of two trains, one being the crane of course and to my surprise that crane had motorised jib and hook...apparently to much sweat n swearing to enable control of the crane via a dcc hand controller...woohoo.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

btw, since this thread started, it's become nigh impossible to buy a crane on that auction place we all know and love.

Someone outbids me everytime...lol...also, someone seems to be buying up cranes and then reselling the cranes and stabelisers separately, double ya profits like,

On 16/12/2019 at 20:55, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

Here is a sketch drawing of the tool boxes and jib support for the GWR Macaw as coupled to the Booth Rodley crane. I built the superstructure from mostly .020" plasticard which is fitted about the centre line of the wagon. The wagon requires the kerb sides to be filled off down to the floor level before fitting the tool boxes to the wagon. Details for the strapping and hinges are made form micro strip and micro rod as is the jib support roller.

DSCF0874.JPG.f249c8af4ea3566288d633bdd68f392c.JPG

The pattern of the tool boxes is common to various GWR / Western region jib runners paired with cranes of different types. The major difference as I can make out is the length of the tool boxes could be different depending upon the wagon on which they were mounted and that the jib support roller would suit the width of the jib in question.

DSCF0875.JPG.fff6d8814529054f2951d03cc8a09271.JPG

Gibbo.

Hi Folks,

At the request of Andy also known as  @leopardml2341 here is a sketch of the side plates and deck of the carriage for the Booth Rodley crane:

DSCF0950.JPG.17243d11c0de203c0aed4bfa4a5132d6.JPG

All dimensions are in millimetres The slewing ring is cut from the original piece of the kit and spliced into a new deck made from .030" plasticard and is placed equidistantly between the two axles and so should work out at 32mm or 60mm form one end or the other.

Here are two photographs of my part built crane as a guide to what I did:

DSCF0508.JPG.b2618d087cb1f35ea58f32ab00177b50.JPG

DSCF0509.JPG.29f7475c98b307115a5e0f241dbde03d.JPG

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Adding a diagram
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Hi Gibbo,

Liking your cranes, very nice work indeed. I have the Dapol kit somewhere in the to do someday box! 

Done a couple of scratch builds myself, first was the Cowans Sheldon 12 ton telescopic engineers crane, did this about 23 years ago!

The next was the Cowans Sheldon Telescopic Breakdown crane, started in 2013 and although it has been run at a couple of shows, there is still quite a bit of detail to add! 

Cheers

Simon

post-6834-0-78820400-1518508123.jpg

post-6834-0-68430200-1441301262.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, 87023Velocity said:

Hi Gibbo,

Liking your cranes, very nice work indeed. I have the Dapol kit somewhere in the to do someday box! 

Done a couple of scratch builds myself, first was the Cowans Sheldon 12 ton telescopic engineers crane, did this about 23 years ago!

The next was the Cowans Sheldon Telescopic Breakdown crane, started in 2013 and although it has been run at a couple of shows, there is still quite a bit of detail to add! 

Cheers

Simon

post-6834-0-78820400-1518508123.jpg

post-6834-0-68430200-1441301262.jpg

Hi Simon,

I've just read through all of your thread involving your Cowans Sheldon 75 ton hydraulic crane, a super piece of work and thanks for adding it to the thread.

I have seen photographs of it previously pop up on the internet when looking for reference pictures to work from and was impressed at what I saw then.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Greetings!

Here in the USA I have been having a difficult time finding Mr.Tatlow’s Railway Breakdown Cranes volume 2.

I would appreciate any leads to securing a copy at this late date. Any reply would be appreciated to this new forum member.

Thank you!

6 hours ago, Harold said:

Greetings!

Here in the USA I have been having a difficult time finding Mr.Tatlow’s Railway Breakdown Cranes volume 2.

I would appreciate any leads to securing a copy at this late date. Any reply would be appreciated to this new forum member.

Thank you!

Hi Harold,

I think the book may currently be out of print, volumes one and three are reasonably available on eBay. I think that volume 2 is the most popular due to the cranes featured within the book given the most often modelled periods.

If you have a question about a specific crane I will look it up for you and relay the information if that helps.

Gibbo.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I thought I would upload a few photos that may help anyone who wants to model a western region breakdown train. I've built 3 models based on what was at Newton Abbot in the 50's an 60's. Brown with red ends are gone they have been painted black all over with correct yellow writing. I've seen photos of the tool an mess vans at newton abbot, laira an Exeter with this writing on the sides an not on roof boards as they were originally. Hope this might be of some interest. 

Regards Neil 

DSC_1333.JPG

DSC_1335.JPG

DSC_1334.JPG

• Like 7

Yes I do very much so but I think the chance of that is very small unfortunately unless someone has one for sale? . I have however got a match truck being built plus the arrival of the new Oxford rail 15 ton crane in the next 12 months hopefully can get a model together of that newton abbot crane number 8 I believe!? 

Regards Neil 

Edited by B15nac
  • Like 1