Cholsey & Moulsford (Change for Wallingford)

Nick Gough

18 hours ago, MrWolf said:

At least we have got beyond the old Papier mache methods. Looking back to when I was a kid, although many people had central heating, it wasn't great and was only on for a few hours a day, you tended to play with the trains in winter and spent days wondering when the squashy mess would set.  Magazines would talk about using "the usual plaster bandage..." Even if I knew where to get it, or how to find out where to get it, I couldn't afford it anyway!

The lattice method may be an old one, but it has survived because it's cheap clean and simple. 

I have to confess I spent a couple of hours yesterday evening tearing up pieces of newspaper.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

My recollection was wallpaper paste, terrible! PVA works well, thinned about 30% with water, brush onto form, stick on paper / PVA / paper.... you know the drill!

Yes. That's how I've been doing it for this layout - thinned PVA.

Dries overnight - no problem.

Edited by Nick Gough
Added another sentence.
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

I've found a solution of PVA helps with plaster bandage as well. It seems to stop odd corners coming loose etc. I found myself brushing it over everything to do with scenery structure.

I have managed to find a cheap and cheerful Everbond plaster / filler powder that includes PVA. I still add a drop to the water and I think that a sealing coat is a really good idea, I'll give it a go, thanks.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

I've found a solution of PVA helps with plaster bandage as well. It seems to stop odd corners coming loose etc. I found myself brushing it over everything to do with scenery structure.

Once the PVA/paper has dried, if I have any odd shapes or depressions, I smooth it off with a little ready mixed filler, then a quick coat of PVA, before painting.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

I'll bet you're not going to use flour paste though! 

There was a bag of self-raising in our Sainsbury's click & collect today.

It did cross my mind whether that might work better than plain - however I'm not going to try!

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

More work on the hill towards merging it into Silly bridge:

P1280371.JPG.075dab14de49a7bc405376b691530b4e.JPG

I wasn't entirely happy with the profile of the cutting sides. It's cut through chalk and, looking back from the bridge, it's difficult to see, on the left, what it looks like due to the dense foliage:

1690982547_Sillytostn.jpg.0aacdeb1d162561412249e249ecb074a.jpg

It's clear on the other (right) side that the upper part is more steep than the lower. Is it the same on the left?

This photo, looking at the bridge, suggests it is:

DCP_2810.JPG.53835d18b05bfa09f3a822eac0c6a161.JPG

However, following the cutting back towards the station it is less clear:

DCP_2811.JPG.530894e28b211921f0ecb0679ec1cf32.JPGDCP_2813.JPG.c5836f8564139c28a081046b3784dfb5.JPG

Anyway, I have decided to reprofile at least part of the side so, having tucked in to more cat food:

I've started building out the top of the cutting (two pairs of cat's eyes). I'm not sure yet how far to take this along. It may just be a case of 'hiding' the further end with foliage.

P1280373.JPG

Edited by Nick Gough
Missing word
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, Nick Gough said:

Incidentally, does anyone know what the square, open-sided structures are at the trackside?

They appear to be constructed of wooden sleepers.

I believe they are refuges for PW staff, constructed when HSTs were introduced on the WR (so around 1976). 

• Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, ChrisN said:

There may be an answer to your question in the 'Prototype' section of the forum, but are they likely to have been there in the 1930s?

No. I thought they were too 'modern' for then - and Caradoc has kindly confirmed that.

I was really just curious about them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, caradoc said:

I believe they are refuges for PW staff, constructed when HSTs were introduced on the WR (so around 1976). 

Thanks. That confirms I can forget about them.

I thought they might be that or, my other guess, maybe something to do with monitoring any slippage of the chalk, although I've never heard of any problems here.

• Like 4

I have reprofiled the top of the cutting to make it steeper:

P1280379.JPG.3a46d99da65b9629c2060ccc87d39841.JPG

Brought it up to meet the side of the bridge and almost finished the lattice work:P1280375.JPG.bd3c864eb26c92f344151a3b40617412.JPG

This 'panoramic' shot shows the whole hill in one photo (no the trackwork isn't really that bad!):

P1280378.JPG.7c57619aa7b48162ef840620b65616d7.JPG

I ran out of glue sticks, for the hot gun, yesterday.

Fortunately a few more arrived this afternoon from Mr Amazon:P1280380.JPG.8ef7f86750a251ec1247cdc9a6495d97.JPG

I should have enough now to finish off!

Edited by Nick Gough
  • Like 10

As seen in the 'panoramic' the cutting is just under 5' 6" in length.

If it had been to prototype length this should have been approximately 16' long so, together with the sharper curve approaching the bridge, it has to be a bit of a compromise.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I love the 'Metro' newspaper:

P1280382.JPG.5b57c7f2c3f00e8bc5e2aea6115f3526.JPG

Not for its content or its journalistic style - but because it is available FREE from railway and underground stations! I always try to pick up a copy when travelling by train or passing a station.

Having not bought a normal daily newspaper for more years than I can remember it's particularly useful that I have a small stack of 'Metros' available at the moment:

P1280385.JPG.403562f16270aa01373719b1e9cdea14.JPG

So creating the ground surface for the hill and cutting has started:

P1280384.JPG.9702701dd1cbd8b5f218025935cec2e1.JPGP1280383.JPG.2109b4f41d7262d8e82f88151d07ab4c.JPG 

Edited by Nick Gough
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

At my old house I used them to light the fires when they stopped sending us the local free paper. It was a listed building, all those double glazing adverts were wasted on us anyway.

That thought has reminded me of, when I was a boy, we used to tightly roll up sheets of newspaper then tie that roll up into a loose, large knot - that my parents called a 'cracker'. We then used half a dozen or so to get the coke fired boiler alight.

Nothing special, but I haven't remembered doing that for years. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I do that, I was shown it years ago as a way to make the paper burn longer, also handy if you have no proper kindling. 

Another old trick I used was to split a bunch of kindling to about 6"long and 3/4 square. Bits of old floorboards are perfect. Pack them all upright in an old gallon paint can or something and top up with paraffin, white spirit or diesel. Ignore for a week. You only need to use three or four, so you just keep dropping replacements in the can.

WHAT? You mean to tell me that you BUY firelighters? Why? :D

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Seeing Metro reminds me of my commuting trips to Bracknell around the turn of the century.

Walking through the morning train usually resulted in my finding a discarded Metro on a seat to read on the way out, and in the evening I could usually find a discarded Standard or a national daily to read. 

Excursion trips on a Saturday were usually good for a free TV guide for the week ahead!

• Like 6

A bit of good news - I have booked my two vaccination dates.

I have been keeping an eye on the NHS booking website the last few days and I noticed, just before retiring yesterday evening, that the qualifying age had reduced to 60.

First vaccination tomorrow afternoon, second in mid May. 

Anything that helps to end the restrictions as quickly as possible.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

1 hour ago, Nick Gough said:

A bit of good news - I have booked my two vaccination dates.

I have been keeping an eye on the NHS booking website the last few days and I noticed, just before retiring yesterday evening, that the qualifying age had reduced to 60.

First vaccination tomorrow afternoon, second in mid May. 

Anything that helps to end the restrictions as quickly as possible.

My notification letter has just arrived in the post, so I suspect I have probably beaten the rush for booking!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2