Using trailer for layout transportation

• RMweb Premium

Really helpful ideas there, many thanks.  Looks like a frame to carry the boards with a layer of foam to cushion things might be the best answer for me.  But first I'll have another look at my Transit and see if I can shoehorn the layout in. 

Remember the maximum weight you are allowed to drive on your licence includes the weight of a trailer.

Have a look at how trailers behave next time you're out driving too. When empty they hardly ever touch the roads.

On 02/01/2020 at 21:52, ColinK said:

Really helpful ideas there, many thanks.  Looks like a frame to carry the boards with a layer of foam to cushion things might be the best answer for me.  But first I'll have another look at my Transit and see if I can shoehorn the layout in. 

Have a word with Alastair of this parish. Bridgford's done thousands of miles in a trailer with little or no apparent damage.

• Thanks 1

On 02/01/2020 at 22:13, roythebus said:

Remember the maximum weight you are allowed to drive on your licence includes the weight of a trailer.

Have a look at how trailers behave next time you're out driving too. When empty they hardly ever touch the roads.

And, the weight of the trailer /it's maximum gross weight determines the vehicle you need to use to pull it even when empty. Trailers can be "down rated" but that will seriously affect their value. If a Transit is too small I guess you are looking at a big box trailer from Ifor Williams or similar.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/01/2020 at 22:13, roythebus said:

The rules are an absolute minefield - they vary according to when you passed your test!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Quick pic of Bridgebury gate (N gauge) in the trailer - loaded in sections and stored vertically bolted to the sides of the trailer. It travels well like this only occasional small details fall of - easily recovered. Fast for loading and unloading. 4 wheels, heavy chassis and sensible tyre pressures makes it very stable and suffers less with pot holes. Down side is the slower speed limits than vans/cars etc - but I can leave the trailer at home and dont need to drive a van every day. Towing brings is Increased fuel consumption (particularly into head winds!!) theres a requirement to have the correct licence conditions, sensible if you can reverse a trailer, remember to lift the jockey wheel  once its coupled, and make sure its insured & covered for recovery etc. But trailers have little running costs compared to cars and vans with only periodic servicing. Its very much a personal choice which you go for and I see equal amounts of vans and trailer wherever we go with bridgebury.

• Like 1