Never weathered anything

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/01/2020 at 22:28, Great Eastern Lady said:

Hello everyone 

I have modelled railways on and off for quite a few years , but I have never weathered anything until now .

I am about to start on a new layout and aside from the rolling stock I will be weathering it all 

The question is , is there a good and simple way to do it 

I have quite a few buildings in kit form that I’ll be using , most are cottages pub shops etc

But I do have a small loco shed and station building 

The era is early 50’s BR ex GER/LNER

Lots of great tutorials on YouTube. IMHO way better than printed books cause you can watch the technique. I only started recently and consider myself a novice, but I got the courage and ideas from YouTube clips on weathering. There is mountains of the stuff on YouTube. What I did learn is there is no right nor wrong way, there is the way that works for you. Acrylics are more forgiving as can be reworked and more easily corrected as are weathering powders applied in water based solution especially with humbrol decal fix that allows reactivation in case it went wrong, you can remove the lot and start again (ie water based). Humbrol have some excellent videos on weathering models (eg aircraft and tanks, etc) which apply equally well to model trains. Have fun, its a whole new hobby and very enjoyable. As others suggested start with some older non-precious models. Have fun

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/03/2020 at 11:53, Aire Head said:

You can thin acrylics and they work for me, do not however fall into the trap of just thinning with water as it won't act as people want it to, it tends to form beads rather than going into the recesses

Re thinning - good tip but what is a good additive for the water and easily available?

• RMweb Gold

I'd guessed that, as for the PVA mix, but confirmation it works for paint too welcomed. Something I hadn't thought of doing before regarding thinning acrylics.

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 22:28, Great Eastern Lady said:

Hello everyone 

I have modelled railways on and off for quite a few years , but I have never weathered anything until now .

I am about to start on a new layout and aside from the rolling stock I will be weathering it all 

The question is , is there a good and simple way to do it 

I have quite a few buildings in kit form that I’ll be using , most are cottages pub shops etc

But I do have a small loco shed and station building 

The era is early 50’s BR ex GER/LNER

Ive weather locos,stock,building ect for many years.

Best thing is research the item your planning to weather up first.

Thens its matter of using airbrush or try the dry brush methord ..

I use both methords on some of my loco weathering..

Like here on my 37004...

thumbnail_IMG_1432.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1433.jpg

• Like 1