Another Peter Gray "Where is This?"

Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone recognise the rather spectacular location of picture No. 2239 (also seen in 2236 and 2234) on the Transport Treasure Peter Gray Collection https://www.transporttreasury.com/p1033857966 ? (n.b. the consecutive numbering of the images is slightly awry)

The neighbouring pictures are mostly of the Kingsbridge branch, but I can't identify a location along that line on a map that fits the scene. The railway seems to be at such a high altitude that I feel it must be some way inland. Could it be somewhere on the Launceston line?

• RMweb Gold

The stock certainly fits in with the Kingsbridge branch but like you I'm stumped on the location. Photo 2240 definitely is.

Edited by gwrrob
added detail.

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

With a little bit of delving and looking at the other photos (2235 and 2237) which appear to have been taken at the same location I am going to place my betton the Kingsbridge branch on the straight immediately north of Sorley Tunnel -

sorley.jpg.21e93795339a0a1afb4d52a64f24fb80.jpg

I can appreciate your reasoning, but looking on Streetview just as the road is approaching the surviving bridge abutments at Rakelane Cross, the slope of the landscape seems nowhere near as dramatic as in Peter Gray's photo. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.3098078,-3.7950399,3a,75y,254.05h,64.89t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1s9N65N8ZHt14hpoMgEzvIQg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i23?hl=en-GB

But admittedly that could be just an misleading impression based on differing viewpoint.

• Informative/Useful 1

Photo 2215 shows the same train in Kingsbridge station so it is definitely on that branch. The photographer seems to be using some extreme lens settings (note how the single carriage often appears overlong) and that may be causing the problems of matching the shots with how the landscape appears today.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

I can appreciate your reasoning, but looking on Streetview just as the road is approaching the surviving bridge abutments at Rakelane Cross, the slope of the landscape seems nowhere near as dramatic as in Peter Gray's photo. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.3098078,-3.7950399,3a,75y,254.05h,64.89t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1s9N65N8ZHt14hpoMgEzvIQg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i23?hl=en-GB

But admittedly that could be just an misleading impression based on differing viewpoint.

Knowing the area, as soon as I saw the image I was knew it was just to the north of Sorley. Removing the line has changed our view point of the landscape. 

• Informative/Useful 1