Kit bashed invacar

rubber duck

29 minutes ago, rubber duck said:

I bet they were an interesting thing to drive! 

they got replaced by the motobllty system i believe.....

Prone to turning over at roundabouts and such like. The Sunday Times had a campaign against them, citing the number of ex-Services personnel who had survived WW2, only to die in RTAs. About the only thing in their favour was that they got the driver a touchline position at sporting events.

Broadly similar vehicles were built by several manufacturers; one of these being AC Cars, better known for over-powered sports cars like the Cobra.

Edited by Fat Controller
additional text.
  • Agree 2

A real one i saw at a show about ten years ago, the stall holder always put on a good show of these old invalid vehicles, sadly i have'nt seen the display around the shows for a few years now. Nowt like being labelled and seen to be standing out from the rest of society back in t'owd days.:rolleyes: Thankfully things have changed for the better. 

PICT0614.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Owd Bob said:

A real one i saw at a show about ten years ago, the stall holder always put on a good show of these old invalid vehicles, sadly i have'nt seen the display around the shows for a few years now. Nowt like being labelled and seen to be standing out from the rest of society back in t'owd days.:rolleyes: Thankfully things have changed for the better.

Around Cheltenham in the early 1970s there was one which bore on its side in very large letters the legend 'Super Spazz'.

• Like 1

There were loads around here when was a kid in the 60's-70's...we all used to be so cruel when ever one approached us being sad products of the time and environment we were brought up in, i remember going with my Dad to take an Uncle who had lost both legs in the war to pick a brand new one up, i think it was in Blackburn?

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 2

Brilliant! I'm pretty well acquainted with the Model 70 as I know four people who own them and have actually driven two. About 80 are known to exist out of 18,000 built for the government and around 50 private sales - contrary to the common myth, they weren't built exclusively for the DHSS and it WAS possible to buy one privately. Nor were they banned in 2003 - the government simply reclaimed and disposed of them, there has never been a law on the statute books specifically banning invalid carriages and it is legal to drive them on the road. Check out HubNut's Project Invacar on YouTube to see one in action.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1