How hot should a triang xo4 get?

Weak magnets cause overheating.  However so do very stiff chassis, if its freshly built or been out of use for some time even healthy motors can also cause over heating.  If you don't do something the motor will burn out,

Stacks of small super neo magnets are a good solution, the purpose made replacements are a bit too strong and I understand they can cause bearing wear.

One thing I noticed recently, I got an old Triang chassis out of the spares box to sell, thought I would give it a quick clean and oil. The wheels were quite stiff when I took the motor out.

I stripped the chassis down, sprayed the chassis block and wheels with WD40, cleaned everything up with white spirit, lightly oiled the axles, then started to reassemble the parts back on the chassis giving them a good clean before fitting. Transformed its performance

• RMweb Gold

Anything with an X04 has a pretty basic chassis, so stripping down, cleaning, and relubing (sparingly as possible) is not a difficult job.  Start by removing the motor and pushing the rolling chassis gently with your finger, feeling for any binds or tight spots; this will show you where to look for problems when you re-assemble.