Hi Max,

Hope you don't mind another question, but please could you describe your method of painting the stone walls on your station building.

Many thanks

Mark

13 hours ago, 27016 said:

Hi Max,

Hope you don't mind another question, but please could you describe your method of painting the stone walls on your station building.

Many thanks

Mark

Hi Mark

I painted the walls all over in grey and then picked out random blocks in other shades of grey, followed by an earth wash. Finally a bit of stone colour was dry brushed on. Definitely worth experimenting to see what works for you as you can always paint over anything you don’t like.

Best wishes

Max

• Informative/Useful 1
13 hours ago, Andrew D said:

What an absolutely delightful layout! Really enjoyed this thread, cheers!  :good_mini:

Thanks Andrew

I’m thinking of building a ‘proper’ fiddleyard and maybe even another section featuring a run-round.

All the best

Max

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Max Legroom said:

Hi Mark

I painted the walls all over in grey and then picked out random blocks in other shades of grey, followed by an earth wash. Finally a bit of stone colour was dry brushed on. Definitely worth experimenting to see what works for you as you can always paint over anything you don’t like.

Best wishes

Max

Many thanks Max for your reply.

Kind regards

Mark

As others have also said, a great little layout and full of inspiration.

What materials and method of construction did you use for the platform edging and surface?

Many thanks

Mark

20 hours ago, 27016 said:

As others have also said, a great little layout and full of inspiration.

What materials and method of construction did you use for the platform edging and surface?

Many thanks

Mark

Hi Mark

The platform is made from 2mm plastic sheet and is basically a box structure with Slaters stone stuck to the edge. The surface is just grey paint and could have benefited from a bit more texture but I was limited to what I had to hand at the time.

Best wishes

Max

• Informative/Useful 1
1 hour ago, Max Legroom said:

Hi Mark

The platform is made from 2mm plastic sheet and is basically a box structure with Slaters stone stuck to the edge. The surface is just grey paint and could have benefited from a bit more texture but I was limited to what I had to hand at the time.

Best wishes

Max

Thanks Max. 

I'll try not to ask any more questions.

Best wishes

Mark

Just happened across this thread and have to say “wow”. What a stunning model. I will follow with interest and hope to see more pictures soon. I love the attention to detail.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 01/06/2020 at 10:24, Max Legroom said:

It's August 1978 and Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty is topping the charts. 600 miles north of Baker Street, the first train of the day has arrived at Portmahomack from Tain having deposited a couple of passengers. After years of threats of closure the line looks secure and has recently been spruced up with some new signage. One of the old blue signs has been dumped in an open wagon in the yard. What were they thinking!

port1.jpg.788aeaa18e65f7844ee25a774dc02ff5.jpg

When our local station was re-signed it all went in a pile and the guy in charge said take what you like. A fair bit got bent and destroyed. Some damage to the enamel on the one station rounded I still have. The rest of what was liberated from that skip (all I could physically carry) got sold as part of the deposit on my first house.

• Like 1