1mm flangeway gauges 00-sf

As part of my venture into handbuilt track, I've ordered a strip of 1mm thick x 10x500mm ground steel, to use as flangeway gauges.

As it's a single 500mm long strip, what length should I trim it to?

I was thinking 50mm, is this correct?

Whatever length I do, I'll have lots left over. Does anybody else need a set?

Just checked the ones I got for 00-SF and your measurement is spot on at 50mm x 10mm. I would gladly have another two, as at my age, I am always putting them down somewhere and there then ensues a search for 10 minutes. :D

They are invaluable....

Thanks to all for your replies.  In plucking up the courage to actually have a go, I've been helped enormously by this thread ...

wing2.JPG

with pictures like this one.

I did consider using feeler gauges, but not sure if using blu-tak as the 3rd and 4th hands would have held the feeler gauge set.  And it will be of the same sort of price as a 2nd set, especially if anybody else can give me a contribution for another pair.

When the strip arrives and I get it cut up into 50mm lengths, I'll put an advert in a seperate post (moderators permitting, of course).

Cheers

David

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've recieved the strip, cut it up into 50mm lengths and smoothed off the burrs on the cut edges.  It came with a very thin coating of thick grease, which made it unpleasant to handle.  I've cleaned this off, but given the individual pieces a smear of olive oil...

I will keep 2 sets (in case I misplace one - highly likely), so I have 3 pairs available.  2 are already spoken for, so I still have another set available.

Rather than sell them, I will send them for free, provided you PM me with a receipt/screenshot for a donation for at least £5 to either

https://thewatkinsontrust.blogspot.com/  - supporting the restoration of Black 5 5025 at Aviemore

or

http://ontrackatstrathspey.blogspot.com/ - supporting the PW and signalling on the Strathspey Railway.

Both links have 'donate by paypal' options.

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidBird
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, DavidBird said:

Rather than sell them, I will send them for free, provided you PM me with a receipt/screenshot for a donation for at least £5 to either

A superb idea David - and you have a PM btw! 

Cheers

Ralf

23 hours ago, DavidBird said:

I've recieved the strip, cut it up into 50mm lengths and smoothed off the burrs on the cut edges.  It came with a very thin coating of thick grease, which made it unpleasant to handle.  I've cleaned this off, but given the individual pieces a smear of olive oil...

I will keep 2 sets (in case I misplace one - highly likely), so I have 3 pairs available.  2 are already spoken for, so I still have another set available.

https://thewatkinsontrust.blogspot.com/  - supporting the restoration of Black 5 5025 at Aviemore

or

http://ontrackatstrathspey.blogspot.com/ - supporting the PW and signalling on the Strathspey Railway.

Both links have 'donate by paypal' options.

Cheers

David

David

Being a EMGS member these gauges are easily obtainable, plus over the years I bought many from various sources simply by keeping my eyes open.

I have spoken with Phil at C&L and his gauge supplier, but there seems little interest from track builders for both these and check rail gauges.

Both Scalefour and the EMGS make available many gauges for their members, sadly for 00 gauge modellers there is a very poor support from both the retail trade and societies, likewise for those who do not bother to join either the Scalefour society or the EMGS. Though by attending eithers shows they are allowed to buy items from the stoors.

So its not surprising that whenever gauges come up for sale on online auctions they keenly fought over

On 19 May 2020 at 22:58, Andy Reichert said:

Since the 1mm FW width is critical for 16.2 mm gauge operationally, the tolerance of  the 1mm strip as gauge should be too.

Andy

Yes, but not a critically as the check rail gauge. The only thing critical about the crossing flangeway gap is the quality of the wing rail to nose transition.

Jim 

1 hour ago, jim.snowdon said:

Yes, but not a critically as the check rail gauge. The only thing critical about the crossing flangeway gap is the quality of the wing rail to nose transition.

Jim 

The difference between 16.2 mm as a gauge with symmetrical flange ways and regular 00 and HO is that all the 16,2  gauge critical dimensions have to be at their various max and mins to actually have 1mm flange ways. The span dimension is  then 14.2 mm and if FW min is less than 1mm then the Span will increase. but it must not reach 14.3 mm or you will get wheel BB jamming with its 14.3 mm min dimension. In practice that means 14.3 mm with absolutely  zero wheel wobble. But there is only 0.1 mm (0.004") to accommodate both errors working in the wrong direction.

Andy