Hornby 09 - Best Decoder?

Chris56057

I'm trying to fit a decoder into a Hornby 09, however I'm struggling to find one that fits. I've seen that there are a few direct plug in versions available from Lenz etc, but unsure which one will fit. 

For reference I did purchase a Hattons decoder that was advertised as being suitable, unfortunately this does not fit. 

Thanks,

Chris 

Edited by Chris56057

3 hours ago, Chris56057 said:

I'm trying to fit a decoder into a Hornby 09, however I'm struggling to find one that fits...

I have one of the early versions, so hopefully it is still the same. There's an ample void for a full size decoder, mine got a Lenz Silver, because at the time the Lenz Standard had not been introduced.

Remove body, look at the front end underside of body. There are two pillars to take the body fixing screws,. These form slots either side between the bonnet walls and radiator. The Lenz decoder just slides in. like it was meant to go there. Dress the wires to the socket as you replace the body in the mechanism, job done.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

Are you after sound or none sound? You should be able to fit pretty much any decoder in the latest ones, I usually fit loksound 5’s (full size) and it sits on top of the motor. If it’s an older model the motor is rounded on top so there’s less space above it, in which case I always take the front bracket off, file the hole to make it round then turn the motor 90 degrees so the rounded surfaces are one the sides and it’s flat on top. You just have to use a bit of glue on the bracket to stop the motor spinning. It doesn’t affect how it runs at all.

Richard 

Thanks all for the advice, I'll let you know how I get on.