Gray Street - A US HO layout revived during Lockdown..off to a new home

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold

I've done a few Lockdown projects and I have a G&H baseboard kit and some Peco C83 ready to go for a 1980-1990s North American layout. However I've had some boards left from an ambitious HO  layout I started about 10 years ago. The three boards give a total of 10' with a Fiddle Yard behind a backscene on the 4' board. I also have a lot of 1950s-1960s Boston & Maine stock which since the sale of Twigg Street has been somewhat neglected...I therefore resolved to get the 3 boards up and running and create a home layout to be situated in my shed. It had been planned as an exhibition layout with end boards legs etc but it was built from well reinforced good quality 9mm ply and is very heavy so is unlikely to go "on the road".

First photo is the three boards set out on my garage work bench. Fortunately I did a reasonable job on the boards and I also primed them so they were in decent condition when I recovered them.

GS 1905 A.JPG

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

This is the fiddle yard end. The two tracks at the front were scenic and were originally to represent an element of the Union Freight RailRoad in Boston. The buildings I made are gone now as they were used on Twigg Street.

GS 1905 B FY end.JPG

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Had to do a bit of track and clearance testing after installing a new crossover in the relaid fiddle yard- no power yet but nice to see the old stuff out for a change...

GS 2205 stock in FYA.JPG

GS 2205 Revised FY.JPG

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

All up and running. I even got the Kadee Undertrack electro magnets to work and I've installed a further industry track.

I also got round to repairing and restoring a box of stock that suffered a top shelf drop a few years ago. At the time it simply got scooped up and the lid put on....now I've got a couple of F unit sets, an RDC and an S4 back in use.

I'm thinking that as the layout is for home use only I may scenic the previous FY board as well....

GS 2405 Oil depot.jpg

2905 Loco repairs.JPG

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/05/2020 at 08:41, Gilbert said:

2905 Loco repairs.JPG

Just noticed that one of your F-units is numbered 4265.  Here is a pic I took at North Conway NH of B&M 4266 back in 1994

img034.jpg

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • Gilbert changed the title to Gray Street - A US HO layout revived during Lockdown..but sadly surplus...
  • RMweb Gold

I hate to admit defeat but due to domestic rationalisation, family commitment issues and realignment of modelling goals I have reluctantly decided to stop work on Gray Street and would prefer to hand it on to an enthusiastic modeller to take on the project. I would like some payment for the layout but I’m happy to discuss sensible offers. I am offering the layout anywhere I may find someone keen to take it on..I hope it won't go to someone who will remove the track and PMs and sell them on...

Do PM if you have any interest..

Edited by Gilbert
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• Gilbert changed the title to Gray Street - A US HO layout revived during Lockdown..off to a new home
  • RMweb Gold

The layout is going to a new home - the buyer is quite local so I can easily help with the move and set up - although contact was made at the NMRA "not-Benson" meet at Stokenchurch. I will tidy up and label the wiring, repair one rail at a board joint and make a few small changes to the fiddle yard and we'll be good to do... I even have some surplus legs that he can probably use in the new location. Everyone's happy.

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 3