Triang Hornby 101 dmus.

Guest Half-full
30 minutes ago, Blazingapostle said:

Hi, does anyone have any suggestions to what I can replace the power bogie with that's more reliable than the old triang one with the double rack and pinion armature? 

Thanks

Mick. 

These motor bogies are generally very very reliable, robustly built.  What problems are you having with it?

I fitted a Lima 117 bogie to one back when the Triang version was the only rtr option. I installed part of the Lima chassis into the floor so the bogie clipped in like it does on the Lima. An alternative I also used to fit the Lima bogie to the DC Kits 101 was a press stud glued to the top of the motor.

It will be difficult to et a more reliable unit than the Triang original, they are pretty bullet proof.  However the running qualities can vary from smooth to coffee grinder depending on wear and tear.  One of the issues is that the axle bearings can get quite worn. Does not affect the reliability, as they will still run, but what happens is the bearings get worn to the point that it is the worm and wormwheel that end up taking the vertical load. The axle rocks on the wormwheel and the resulting poor mesh gives the rough running and coffee grinder effect. If the wormwheel is not perfectly concentric it will waddle and shake too.  Due to the nature of the bogie casting trying to bush or repair the axle bearings is going to be somewhat difficult, so unless you are really dedicated replacement of the motor is the only way to get smooth running. Ideally a good second hand Triang unit is the best option, but it is pretty much pot luck getting an unworn example. if you are lucky there might be a good photo, but if the axles seem to sit higher than the axleboxes it is probably worn.

Edited by Titan

Guest Half-full
15 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

It would be a lot of work, but the Replica Railways drive unit could be transplanted.

Personally I would flog the one you have and buy the Bachmann model. There may be some questions over the exterior appearance, but the mechanism refinement more than makes up for it.

I think the inaccuracies of the Bachmann unit pale into insignificance compared to the Triang one, at least its the right length!!!

The replica chassis would need shortening, even the 57' one, to fit the Triang model

3 minutes ago, bigherb said:

The Hornby Limby power bogie might be the better option, runs exceptional well, and they made one for the Lima 101.

Img_1104.jpg

I think I'd rather get the complete Hornby 101, won't end up hugely more expensive than buying just the motor bogie and not far off the Bachmann one for accuracy (in fact better in some aspects).

A good summary of the options above. For an up to date accurate model of the 101 then the Lima/Hornby model is a good budget choice and the Bachmann one is, out of the box a very good model - the Triang one is from a different age. But we don't know the OP's circumtances and I always blanch at the 'bin it and buy x' response because much fun and enjoyment can be had from tinkering with vintage models - there are some good suggestions about tackling the Triang bogie's issues and the Lima DMU motor bogie, whilst it will never win prizes for refinement, is a cheap and reliable one especially if mated to extra pickups. There is also the option of fitting CD style can motors into the Lima Ringfield housing for lower current draw and smoother running.

• Like 2

Hi Mick,

Nice user name, a fellow disciple of Mr Nelson I presume.

This might be of interest to you as it’s quite straightforward to service the Triang motor bogie.

As mentioned already the body is too short and I understand that it is possible to cut and shut it to length using another body. It was done by the great Chris Pendleton in the past but I’ve not been able to find any further details. Does anybody out there know any more?

//Simon

• Like 2

Thankyou gents, I think Titan has hit the problems I'm having squarely on the head, axle bearing surface wear! 

Stentor/Simon, 

Spot on mate, such a talented musician is our William!! 

Regards

Mick. 

Edited by Blazingapostle
  • Friendly/supportive 1