Getting around ebays extortionate post

• RMweb Gold

Not eBay, but...

I ordered a loco from Brass Trains on Saturday; decided on UPS rather than USPS/Parcelfarce.

On Monday, UPS collected.

On Tuesday morning I received an email informing me that it would be delivered the next day.

Later that evening, I received an invoice for VAT plus an administration fee of £11.50.

In a few hours, the parcel will be delivered.

Meanwhile, something I bought in Canada two months ago us still en route. I think they are using a rowing boat or something. Mind you, it took Canada Post 4 weeks just to get it moved across Ontario. I have no idea where it is at the moment: CP says “shipped to onward destination” and Parcelforce claim it hasn’t arrived yet - although I have to say that when tracking via USPS, parcels have arrived at Heathrow and been forwarded to Coventry a week before they appear on the UK tracking site. And then I wait for up to two weeks before I can pay the VAT plus a “service fee” for the appalling delay. At least Royal Mail now send me a text and email with a link to make payment. Unfortunately, things are usually Parcelforce and they post the invoice to you via Royalmail.

I mention all this as if you have the option for UPS and don’t mind the cost, it is worth it. The VAT and admin fee will hit you whatever route you choose. The cost us higher than using EBay’s service via Pitney Bowes, but a couple of days quicker (no sending it to a central hub for VAT assessment).

I am not a great fan of eBay, but if UPS be* not available, I prefer to use their Global Shipping Program in preference to national postal services, which take a long while to do the same job using the same technology (lorries, aircraft and warehouses).

* I just felt like using the subjunctive case. I am not a yokel!

Edited by Regularity
Autocorrect...

If it's any comfort Canada Post is normally terrible with packages. Anything that has to go through Toronto/Mississauga will take longer, in part because they are "social distancing" in the sorting facility so half the staff, double the time. To their credit they admit as much on their website. OTOH getting a tracked parcel from the UK is a waste of money because CP does not track parcels from outside of Canada.

Cheers,

David

• Agree 1

The Covid 19 Pandemic continues to severely disrupt international airmail and courier services, particularly where there are transfers between international or domestic flights.

I had a two weeks difference in transit time between packages shipped on the same day by courier between New Zealand and destinations in the British Isles, one package appears to have gone through with little delay while the other spent two weeks in airports waiting for flights. Its possible one was routed Eastwards via the United States and the second Westwards via Asia or Dubai in the Middle East.

Edited by John M

• RMweb Gold
On 07/07/2020 at 04:05, Lovemymodelling said:

So even though the have a land border you still have to pay the international shipping Fees that would hurt more than posting across the pond! Do many modellers who live near the border take a drive over to the US? The company i use have a storage and address facility in Washington state also I’m guessing people who live in BC may drive over and pick their items up from there.

There are a few drop ship options at border crossing towns, but the border is shut for frivolous mailing runs at the moment. 

The moment the border is mentioned it puts the shipping costs up. USPS is expensive and the others seem a lottery. I'm glad I'm not a route planner either. They go via some very strange hubs!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm in the process of my first order via Shipito. I wanted to order 2 freight cars direct from a US shop. They quoted me $76 for shipping to the UK. Decided to try out Shipito. So ordered from the shop using my Shipito address, shipping was £13.95. They did send me an email asking to me to confirm that the shipping address was different from the billing address which I did. Parcel was sent on Monday (13 July), got an email today saying that it had arrived at Shipito. Completed the customs declaration and other stuff. Total Shipito cost was $28.11 so a total cost of $42.06 so far.

Lee

7 hours ago, z4driver said:

I'm in the process of my first order via Shipito. I wanted to order 2 freight cars direct from a US shop. They quoted me $76 for shipping to the UK. Decided to try out Shipito. So ordered from the shop using my Shipito address, shipping was £13.95. They did send me an email asking to me to confirm that the shipping address was different from the billing address which I did. Parcel was sent on Monday (13 July), got an email today saying that it had arrived at Shipito. Completed the customs declaration and other stuff. Total Shipito cost was $28.11 so a total cost of $42.06 so far.

Lee

I’m up to my 4th parcel so far all good and pleased let us know how you get along, I’ve had a couple come delivered by Royal Mail and one by Hermes strangely delivered via Austria 

1 hour ago, z4driver said:

@Lovemymodelling

Which method of shipping do you use to forward your packages on from Shipto and how long do they usually take?

I’ve only had freight cars so far and used the basic service , no problems so far,  as you see there is a varied choice, I’ve had 2 arrive by royal mail and one by Hermes so far, 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

An belated update on my experience of Shipito.

I ordered some bulkhead flats from a shop in the US who quoted me $76 for shipping to the UK. Used my Shipito address, $13.95 shipping.

Shipped from shop: 13 July 20

Arrived Shipito: 17 July 20

Shipped: 20 July 20 Economy Airmail Cost $28.11

Arrived: 08 August 20.

Before shipping from Shipito, I filled in the customs declaration online with the correct value ($45.98) and wasn't charged anything on import.

So total cost of shipping was $42.06 saving me $33.94 so all in all a good experience.

Lee

11 hours ago, z4driver said:

An belated update on my experience of Shipito.

I ordered some bulkhead flats from a shop in the US who quoted me $76 for shipping to the UK. Used my Shipito address, $13.95 shipping.

Shipped from shop: 13 July 20

Arrived Shipito: 17 July 20

Shipped: 20 July 20 Economy Airmail Cost $28.11

Arrived: 08 August 20.

Before shipping from Shipito, I filled in the customs declaration online with the correct value ($45.98) and wasn't charged anything on import.

So total cost of shipping was $42.06 saving me $33.94 so all in all a good experience.

Lee

I too had 4 freights last week in separate parcels  and no duty on any , is the $33.94 including what ebay would charge upfront customs fees?

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Lovemymodelling said:

I too had 4 freights last week in separate parcels  and no duty on any , is the $33.94 including what ebay would charge upfront customs fees?

The order wasn't through eBay, it was direct from a US shop so the $76 they quoted was just for shipping.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to share great service with you from the seller "expresshobby" of Mahwah, New Jersey. I bought a small pack of Athearn gears for £7-75 on Friday 26th September. A very reasonable £2-43 postage to the UK. Total cost £10-18.  It arrived 7th October, no additional charges. That was doubly satisfying because those parts are out of stock in a lot of places.  They are mainly  dealing with Radio Control hobby parts (nearly 19,000 of them) but they have a limited selection of Athearn parts, Woodland scenics, Walthers kits, Kadee couplers, and Kato.   

Phil 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cokebreeze said:

I just wanted to share great service with you from the seller "expresshobby" of Mahwah, New Jersey. I bought a small pack of Athearn gears for £7-75 on Friday 26th September. A very reasonable £2-43 postage to the UK. Total cost £10-18.  It arrived 7th October, no additional charges. That was doubly satisfying because those parts are out of stock in a lot of places.  They are mainly  dealing with Radio Control hobby parts (nearly 19,000 of them) but they have a limited selection of Athearn parts, Woodland scenics, Walthers kits, Kadee couplers, and Kato.   

Phil 

I've used them several times for Woodland Scenics figures. Always happy to send items separately to avoid customs charges. Unless USPS have got their act together, I find it usually take 2-3 weeks.