EBay feedback

GWR-fan

I have been selling items on Australian eBay for close to twenty years and up until recently buyers would always post feedback.  My policy is that once a buyer has paid then he deserves his feedback which I do immediately after returning from posting his purchase.  Lately though I rarely receive feedback on items.  I do not wish feedback to increase my tally points but I see the posting of feedback by the bidder as proof of receipt of the item.   Some rural areas that I post to do not record delivery of the item by way of tracking which accompanies every package delivered by Australia Post.  When an item is not showing delivered after a couple of weeks and reciprocal feedback has not been posted,  then I am left wondering if the item has actually been delivered and whether the bidder is going to raise a dispute for an item not delivered.  From my perspective I see reciprocal feedback as a common courtesy acknowledging receipt of the item and confirming the condition that the item was sent in.  I feel that the inception of the eBay mobile phone app makes it possibly too inconvenient for the bidder to post feedback or perhaps they simply do not care to.  EBay used to be a community,  however,  it seems that the community spirit has broken down with eBay these days strenuously pushing the platform as a business model and not a "community service".   

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

As a seller I don't leave feedback until I receive feedback.  Apart from that, I find that positive feedback is pretty meaningless anyway (though in your case I see the advantage), as I understand that, as a seller it's not possible to leave negative feedback.  Also, I've seen first-hand that many with 100% feedback have done things like not pay, etc. etc.

I agree about the app making feedback more difficult.

As far as I can see, you can't even read feedback on the app.

It is one of those,"after you" "no after you" situations...like in a doorway.

Who passes first?

I usually leave feedback as a seller when either of two things happen.

1. I receive feedback from the buyer.

2. I can verify delivery, via the Royal Mail tracking.

In one case, the Royal Mail tracking failed, and the buyer stated that he only left feedback once it was left for them.

No indication of delivery was available.

Therefore, no feedback was sent either way.

As a seller, and unable to leave other than positive feedback, I do occasionally leave no feedback, rather than a positive with negative comments, when the situation demands it, as it still counts as a positive point!

I did once check the feedback of a buyer, to find that that person had never left feedback on any of the multiple purchases that they had made, despite receiving feedback.

As a buyer, I do leave feedback, but sometimes it is delayed, as I usually need to use the computer, rather than the phone, to do feedback properly.

Guest Half-full
40 minutes ago, Sarahagain said:

I agree about the app making feedback more difficult.

As far as I can see, you can't even read feedback on the app.

It is one of those,"after you" "no after you" situations...like in a doorway.

Who passes first?

I usually leave feedback as a seller when either of two things happen.

1. I receive feedback from the buyer.

2. I can verify delivery, via the Royal Mail tracking.

In one case, the Royal Mail tracking failed, and the buyer stated that he only left feedback once it was left for them.

No indication of delivery was available.

Therefore, no feedback was sent either way.

As a seller, and unable to leave other than positive feedback, I do occasionally leave no feedback, rather than a positive with negative comments, when the situation demands it, as it still counts as a positive point!

I did once check the feedback of a buyer, to find that that person had never left feedback on any of the multiple purchases that they had made, despite receiving feedback.

As a buyer, I do leave feedback, but sometimes it is delayed, as I usually need to use the computer, rather than the phone, to do feedback properly.

I leave feedback as a seller as soon as I despatch the item, and as a buyer as soon as I've checked it over when received

You can read feedback on the app, and leave feedback, with no problems

Like most as a buyer I leave feedback once I have received and checked the item, as a seller once the buyer has left feedback.

As a seller I get between 60% and 80% responses, as have been said I use feedback from the buyer as confirmation of receipt of item and satisfaction with the item. Simply why should I bother if they don't

As a buyer, I quickly leave feedback and if especially pleased with the item/service a quick message.

When buying I never check the sellers feedback, I rely on either doing my homework or back my hunches. If an item fails to turn up,  arrives damaged or fails to live up to the description I then take the matter up with the seller. At best just telling the seller the condition it arrived in, at worst seeking a full refund. But these are the exceptions, usually trades are hassle free.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Half-full said:

I leave feedback as a seller as soon as I despatch the item, and as a buyer as soon as I've checked it over when received

You can read feedback on the app, and leave feedback, with no problems

Everyone has their system, as I said to the buyer that only left feedback if it was warranted, and then only after receiving feedback...

Ok, so, yes, you CAN leave feedback on the app, but except for a "Positive feedback received" notification, I can't see how to read said feedback?

I do like to read, before replying...

Guest Half-full
11 minutes ago, Sarahagain said:

Everyone has their system, as I said to the buyer that only left feedback if it was warranted, and then only after receiving feedback...

Ok, so, yes, you CAN leave feedback on the app, but except for a "Positive feedback received" notification, I can't see how to read said feedback?

I do like to read, before replying...

On the app, if you click the 3-bar menu at the top left of the screen, then click your user name, then Profile, that will bring up your feedback breakdown.

If you then click on the Positive/Neutral/Negative sections that will display the feedback

Hope that helps

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I always make a point of leaving feedback, its just polite when a transaction is successful as a buyer or a seller.

I almost never negative feedback, if theres an issue with a purchase and the seller resolves it then no need for negative or neutral.

my only caveat is sometimes I do get preoccupied with other things, so feedback can be delayed, but then i’ll have a feast of leaving it all at once.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 3 weeks later...

On my last attempted to leave feedback I had the situation where I was able to save an item in my watch list, bid on an item, pay for an item, but if I tried to leave feedback ebay THEN asked for my password... which it rejected... but I could still go back and carry on bidding on things...

On 28/06/2020 at 13:38, adb968008 said:

I always make a point of leaving feedback, its just polite when a transaction is successful as a buyer or a seller.

I almost never negative feedback, if theres an issue with a purchase and the seller resolves it then no need for negative or neutral.

my only caveat is sometimes I do get preoccupied with other things, so feedback can be delayed, but then i’ll have a feast of leaving it all at once.

Yes, I tend to be a bit slow to leave feedback, mainly because I tend to do bulk feedback leaving. 

One thing which annoys me when buying slides, is that I have to give individual feedback for every slide bought from the same seller on the same day, unless they are sold as a group. This can take ages if there were a lot of interesting images ending within a few minutes of each other. 

I tend to have a standard comment saved on my laptop, and just paste it into each box for speed and convenience. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, jonny777 said:

...snip... I tend to have a standard comment saved on my laptop, and just paste it into each box for speed and convenience.

I identify the item that I bought in the feedback that I leave: "O scale Custom Brass PRR MP-54 MU car arrived today in fine shape, thank you." is a sample of on that I recently posted. It gives a prospective bidder some information about the seller and their item(s) offered in the past.

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

I identify the item that I bought in the feedback that I leave: "O scale Custom Brass PRR MP-54 MU car arrived today in fine shape, thank you." is a sample of on that I recently posted. It gives a prospective bidder some information about the seller and their item(s) offered in the past.

But, if you click on 'show all feedback' it lists the item underneath the comments for every entry.