Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Marcus,

Sorry I thought I had replied to this. We did stop at Ravenglass and did see the narrow gauge but we went to the pub for lunch and beers so didn't do it.

The lakes are on our to do list for the next visit. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Pete

Was that the pub on the platform by chance. Lovely selection of real ales on there. Frequented it whilst waiting for the train after visiting the Ratty. Definitely recommend the narrow gauge on your next visit.

post-18515-0-76812700-1479043294_thumb.jpeg

Nice work on the 31. RF red stripe always suited them well I thought.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 4

Hi Pete

Was that the pub on the platform by chance. Lovely selection of real ales on there. Frequented it whilst waiting for the train after visiting the Ratty. Definitely recommend the narrow gauge on your next visit.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Nice work on the 31. RF red stripe always suited them well I thought.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

It was, we had a few ales, and some lunch. Will certainly do the narrow gauge next time.

Waiting on transfers for the class 31, still other loco's to work on though.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

thought this may be of interest, apologies if you are already aware of it.

https://www.facebook.com/trawsblaenaurailway/

Some very good images of 80's flask and gunpowder trains on the Traws branch etc, though I realise not everyone is on Facebook.

Cheers,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

Thanks for the link I hadn't seen that. Some nice pic there, I will have more of a look when I get some time.

Cheers Peter.

If you've managed that quality look with brush painting then I might be tempted to try it myself.

I wouldn't look too close. lol It does take a lot longer this way too.

Cheers Peter.

Looking good there Peter. You seem to have been able to spend some time on the extension!

Thanks Doug,

Should be spending more time on it really but I have been working on a few loco's.

Cheers Peter.

Also added a pic of 08472. And no I haven't ordered an O gauge one.

I think there must only be 2 people on the planet that haven't ordered one then.... me and you!!  :jester:

Superb weathering on the locos Peter.  The last pic I had a double take as I thought you were posting pics of the real thing!!!

Edited by HealeyMills

Superb weathering on the 25 Peter. Looks excellent. Has that been done purely by hand brushing as you said your air brush was out of action? If so it gives me a bit of incentive to have a go at a spare 37 body shell I've got.

Cheers

Marcus 

Edited by Marcus 37
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I now have another class 25 with sound. Thanks to SRman for sorting the reblow. It took some doing as I had to replace the 8 pin chassis under 904 with a 21 pin chassis from a loco that still need to be worked on. also nearly ready for use are  a couple of Heljan Dogfish that I have repainted.

A bit of work on the layout too. I have added some water taps and hoses in the carriage sidings.

Also added a pic of 08472. And no I haven't ordered an O gauge one.

Cheers Peter.

Love it Peter. Is that even a bent shunt pole on the front steps of the 08?

I think there must only be 2 people on the planet that haven't ordered one then.... me and you!!  :jester:

Superb weathering on the locos Peter.  The last pic I had a double take as I thought you were posting pics of the real thing!!!

Thanks Lee,

The Dapol 08 does look like a great model but 200 quid would get me half way to getting a Heljan class 25. :locomotive: I saw a Mates when I was over last month and although it has its faults it's a damn nice model.

Cheers Peter.

Super weathering again Peter, and YES I have succumbed to the lure of a BIG 08, :O well 2 or 3 actually :nono:  :stinker:  :stinker:  :stinker:  :stinker: . 

I like your water taps and hoses, very neat.

Thanks Andy,

I had noticed you had the 7mm bug again. I will be following your thread I have thought about a small 7mm shunting layout myself. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Superb weathering on the 25 Peter. Looks excellent. Has that been done purely by hand brushing as you said your air brush was out of action? If so it gives me a bit of incentive to have a go at a spare 37 body shell I've got.

Cheers

Marcus 

Hi Marcus,

25904 was done some time ago. All I did the other day was change the chassis block and bogies to fit the 21 pin decoder. Having said that the blue on the  body was sprayed, but the yellow ends and weathering was done by brush the roof was then sprayed with a matt varnish from a can. What was weathered the other day were the bogies which  I brush painted I also used some powders but I don't do this on everything.

I would give it a go I normally give the underframes a good coat of paint then when dry do a bit more. Best advice I can give is find a pic of the loco you want to do and copy the weathering. Quite often you will find the loco isn't totally covered in grime just pick the area's that are.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Just like the real things weather in stages, you can build up the grime in thin layers too. Wait until the previous layer is dry, then add another. Like Peter, I use a multitude of techniques, including thin washes, dry brushing and powders. 

if you doubt your skills, try out some of these things on an old wagon first. If you don't like the result, repaint the wagon and try again.

Peter, and several other RMwebbers have built up enviable reputations as great painters and weatherers, and are great inspirations to the rest of us. :)

• Like 2

Hi Peter,

thought this may be of interest, apologies if you are already aware of it.

https://www.facebook.com/trawsblaenaurailway/

Some very good images of 80's flask and gunpowder trains on the Traws branch etc, though I realise not everyone is on Facebook.

Cheers,

Martyn.

And the 'flickr' site to add to the 47 pictures will be "Minffodd Ken", lots of nice shots recently. The one at No4 ground frame, above was by Alan Hayward a former guard on the line, who has lots on the 6G web-site.

Merf.

And the 'flickr' site to add to the 47 pictures will be "Minffodd Ken", lots of nice shots recently. The one at No4 ground frame, above was by Alan Hayward a former guard on the line, who has lots on the 6G web-site.

Merf.

Thanks Merf,

Had a look this evening and there are some good pictures of the branch and trains. Also useful shot of one of the barrier wagons.

Cheers Peter.

47636 has finally left the workbench. The loco ran well on it's first test run though I need to play with the CVs as the sound chip is a bit loud plus the loco needs to be slowed down. So any help from you sound guys out there would be great. It's a Biffo sound chip.

Also in the rake is a MK3 that I have weathered up a bit. I didn't know when I bought it that it had the later door lock lights so I will have to try and remove them and put a coach letter over them. 

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-79484600-1480418878_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-24781700-1480418901_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-64842400-1480418925_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-50566900-1480418951_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Great looking 47 Pete, I think that livery suits them so well. Is it a 47 436 underneath? It really looks the part with the black domino and snowploughs. Your weathering is, as ever, absolutely spot on.

Andy