Simple to use Common crossing jig

hayfield

Hi Hayfield,

I must confess i am not sure what the L & J chairs are for, ive been using the small 2 for tight areas. Plan to use the fishplates, not sure what glue to use possibly super glue.

I really like the Exactoscale sleepers, keeps the whole thing more rigid, great price is a huge bonus. (thanks for the heads up).

Going to file my own switchblades for this model as well.

Paul.

Paul

Go to the Exactoscale website and then to the page with chair positions and print off the plans, the L (bridge ) chairs are as you said for smaller gaps

https://exactoscale.com/track-components/chair-positions/

What it does not show are the J (joint) chairs, simply at rail joints some companies used larger chairs either side of the joint. some even using 14" timbers and 12" sleepers

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hello John

You've mentioned jigs from EMGS. Do you know if these are still available? I had a 5,6,7,8 and 9,10.11.12 as well as ABCD blade jig all from S4 Society.

However, they were all in my tool box- which was at work, when some brain dead moron thought they were scrap metal and threw them in the recycling bin as we were moving premises.

Unbelievable but true.

PS I prefer the Howard Bolton home made jig, but these are handy to have.

Thanks
Derek

• Friendly/supportive 2

19 hours ago, Derekstuart said:

You've mentioned jigs from EMGS. Do you know if these are still available? I had a 5,6,7,8 and 9,10.11.12 as well as ABCD blade jig all from S4 Society.

I have just started to use the blade jig from the EMGS. Its really good and fast. The V and common crossing jigs are really good as well. Well worth joining i think, loads of great products and prices on the societies web shops.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Certainly the common crossing jigs are very simple to use for both filing and soldering the rails together and most of all very accurate

I also like the switchblade filing jig, but find filing the rear of the blades first easier, not everyone likes them

The main thing is to use sharp good quality files. For the Vees I use a 10" Vallorbe smooth straight file

The switch blades I use 6" 2nd and smooth cut straight files. Again Vallorbe

Vallorbe are only slightly dearer than cheaper brands, but so much better

I also use a round and triangular needle files and emery cloth to finish off the ends (debur and chamfer)

When my files start to blunt they revert to being used on whitemetal and glass fiber strips. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 16/10/2020 at 09:01, hayfield said:

Vallorbe are only slightly dearer than cheaper brands, but so much better

I was just in the process of shopping for some new files. You have saved me asking questions.

Files orderded.

Thanks.

On 15/10/2020 at 20:13, down the sdjr said:

I have just started to use the blade jig from the EMGS. Its really good and fast. The V and common crossing jigs are really good as well. Well worth joining i think, loads of great products and prices on the societies web shops.

The EMGS instructions for the switch blade jigs say file the heads off first. After chatting with a couple of demonstrators at shows using them, I have found it easier to file the backs off in pairs first, then file the heads off. Finishing each one out of the jig by chamfering the tops then cleaning everything up with needle files and very fine emery paper.

Its the more difficult of the two jigs to use, I hold the jig in a vice, but as you say once you get the hang its easy and quick to use 

• Informative/Useful 1

Just now, down the sdjr said:

I was just in the process of shopping for some new files. You have saved me asking questions.

Files orderded.

Thanks.

I use Axminster Tool Center, easy to use and have a great mail order service

https://www.axminstertools.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwrKr8BRB_EiwA7eFapoQcJEN07zfC9LenGfOkY0-17vjWbZ0yKGNCpoAMIQAP0ZZxU6L4QhoCtWkQAvD_BwE

https://www.axminstertools.com/vallorbe-swiss-hand-file-150mm-6-bastard-cut-600232

I also have an 8" knife file (elongated triangle with a safe end

As for needle files I like the Rolson ones, cheap from tool suppliers at shows I mainly use round and triangle

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/10/2020 at 00:51, Derekstuart said:

However, they were all in my tool box- which was at work, when some brain dead moron thought they were scrap metal and threw them in the recycling bin as we were moving premises.

Unbelievable but true.

I hope the walking brain donor is getting the bill for that little lot - it's about a hundred quid's worth....