Supplier of BR 5/6 Leaf Springs & Oil Axleboxes

• RMweb Premium

In light of Rumney Models being temporarily closed due to the Coronavirus pandemic, can anyone point me in the direction of a supplier of the above axleboxes and springs, either cast together (as Justin's) or a separate components.  I'm not too fussy about material, although I have a preference for wm.

I've had a good look on here and the usual suspects (38 pages of Wizard products), MJT don't appear to have the boxes but they have the springs. 

Now I'm sure there are more suppliers but for the life of me I can't think who they are. Google isn't doing it for me today, probably my spelling or syntax (?), so I've drawn a blank so far.

(First time I've built an Airfix/Dapol 16 tonner {at 51 and a half} and I have butchered, beyond redemption, everything below the solebar, just so I could whack some w-irons on it).

Cheers me dears

Edited by Tim Dubya
Wyld Wood

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, RexAshton said:

Thanks but as I mentioned above Mr Rumney has ceased trading during the current pandemic.

I have since found out from a post by Justin, from a couple of years back on Scaleforum, that one simply takes a file to a MJT RCH oil box and removes the detail on the top front of the box.

I have fired off an order to Dart for some and lots of other stuff I never knew I needed until an hour ago!

Cheers for looking / advice

On 02/07/2020 at 10:45, Tim Dubya said:

Thanks but as I mentioned above Mr Rumney has ceased trading during the current pandemic.

I have since found out from a post by Justin, from a couple of years back on Scaleforum, that one simply takes a file to a MJT RCH oil box and removes the detail on the top front of the box.

I have fired off an order to Dart for some and lots of other stuff I never knew I needed until an hour ago!

Cheers for looking / advice

Ere Dubya, Never thought. You're with this mob so you could have got some of these from stores. J's very quick with delivery. Moulded in that nice ABS stuff. £1.50 a pops not to bad.

226788626_4WC-P01ARCHspringsAboxBrakeBs.jpg.6b381bd2e00cefe15379d0615da93a02.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Porcy Mane said:

Ere Dubya, Never thought. You're with this mob so you could have got some of these from stores. J's very quick with delivery. Moulded in that nice ABS stuff. £1.50 a pops not to bad.

226788626_4WC-P01ARCHspringsAboxBrakeBs.jpg.6b381bd2e00cefe15379d0615da93a02.jpg

nice brake blocks uncle P...

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Axlebox said:

nice brake blocks

Just the thing for using with etched pushrods  (Covhops), Gwasshopper.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you boys, I've hassled the "keeper of the precious things" this week already, but hey, it's sooooooo easy to loose my wad these days*.

Cheers again

*Can't be me age, not at my age.

Edited by Tim Dubya
pen..... axlebox envy
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

sooooooo easy to loose my wad these days*

In the pre coal mining  days, they mined it to exhaustion in the Lake District. They only started mining it in volume, once the great pipe had been de-watered.  (I do not joke about such matters!)

https://www.cumbria-industries.org.uk/wad/

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Informative/Useful 1

45 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

alter of min

Fertilisation rituals surely?    I know, I know; you're not called Shirley.

Ah manure! A fine load for any min.

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

I fought ABS was that white mental stuff?

E'scale ABS is that plistok stiff.

This is the ABS light metal stuv.  (Part of my ABS stash).

1952229359_ABS-9Ft-U04.jpg.7311cd9a36c1c7e1661c81f52ce5985e.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

... is the ABS light metal stuv.  (Part of my ABS stash).

Funnily enough, I went through and unpacked my own stash into little boxes on Saturday, with some sadness I might add.  Adrian was a cussid old git but he was always pretty much right when it came down to it.   I didn't have many dealings with him, but he was always polite and on the ball.

I wonder what will happen to all those lovely bits and kits now.  Didn't he buy some of the white metal kits from D&S Danny?

:(

Edited by Tim Dubya
Substituting the word ###### for git

10 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Adrian was a cussid old git

I think Chris Leigh summed him up to perfection. I found him fine but his on-line "persona" could be  forthright & entertaining. He offered me his drawings of Diesel Brake Tenders & Gresley bogies, for nowt! Sadly I never took him up on the offer.

• Friendly/supportive 1

45 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

I wonder what will happen to all those lovely bits and kits now.  Didn't he buy some of the white metal kits from D&S Danny?

Questions like that sometimes takes decades to answer or fade away through the mists of time. Bit like some of the ranges that fell into the ABS grasp.

• Funny 1

12 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

they were so much better than anything available now.

I know where your coming from but in many respects the castings have been equalled and surpassed in quite a lot instances by the like of Lanarkshire Model Supplies, Rumney and Wizard. I was probably about twelve the first time I was introduced to ABS castings, via their inclusion in Mopok kits. ABS's "stuff" was just so much better that the competition at the time.

Unusual Disclaimer.

Lanarkshire Model Supplies, Rumney and Wizard.I know the props. of the three businesses named above and think that the sun shines out of their respective bumholes.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1