Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

A few pictures from a walk this afternoon. It's the first sunny day for a long time, and everyone (and their dog!) seemed to have decided to walk.

Boardwalk over a saltmarsh which is a stopover for migrating birds:

523090386_IMG_0197-Copy.jpg.86f6c52cc55d71ac51dff6d78c516a7e.jpg

Totem pole being carved by a local First Nations carver, assisted by local youth:

IMG_0206.jpg.25c6e42a49bc0975a5377b6014644324.jpg

And the reason why this post is in 'Night Mail' and not 'Early Risers' - details of a small trestle on an industrial spur:

IMG_0203.jpg.60d1b7769586cc23caf0799ca727cfeb.jpg

Edited by pH
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

More details on the industrial spur would be nice.

Interesting to see the modern walkway materiel added to the trestle to replace the original planking.

This morning is being taken up with 'charitable work'.  Delivering packages of activity materiel for Brownies/Guides/Rangers.

Delivery now allows for 'decontamination time' of over 72 hours before they need to be opened.

This is incorporated into a 'click and collect' from the local supermarket.

This afternoon I might get some workshop time:  Tidying up time in the workshop might be a more apt description.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

It's been quiet here today.  Looks much the same in TNM!

The deliveries went ok as did the click and collect.

I got Nyda to try my flow meter, because  having read what others are producing, I thought I might have been using it incorrectly.

I instructed her in its use, and she ended up blowing about 550.  so it's me and not the meter.

I'd best not connect it to the other end though as that would probably destroy the flow meter.

A trombone might be interesting!

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

After my first test the nurse said that I had Cronic Pulmonery Disorder but then it was decided that because I am a non-smoker I could not be classed as having COPD. So if I hear anybody saying that they should get special treatment beause they have COPD they get no sympathy from me.

Edited by laurenceb
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

33 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

After my first test the nurse said that I had Cronic Pulmonery Disorder but then it was decided that because I am a non-smoker I could not be classed as having COPD. So if I hear anybody saying that they should get special treatment beause they have COPD they get no sympathy from me.

Copd is not just caused by smoking it can be caused by inhalation of dust particles that irritate the linings of the lungs a lot of ex miners and up with copd along with folk that have worked in dusty trades

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Many years ago a doctor who I did not trust decided I should do a lung capacity test. He was rather upset when I  broke his machine by blowing the end off it! No one has wanted me to do a repeat for some reason. My luck with having good health is in my view just that, LUCK. My wife suffers from lots of health problems and I know how much it affects her quality of life. To all those who suffer I wish you all the best and my heartfelt sorrow that you are suffering.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

• RMweb Premium

Just heard that a great friend who has been suffering from advancing Alzheimers has been taken to hospital after appearing to have had a stroke. Investigations, though, have ruled out a stroke but a consultant said that there is something amiss in his brain and more tests will be carried out. Just to add to his troubles he has got a urinary tract infection. Sometimes.........

Dave 

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

he has got a urinary tract infection. Sometimes.........

My elderly Aunt had a urinary infection. While her GP was treating it my Aunt started to behave very strangely and was admitted to hospital. It was only because my brother insisted that our aunt hadn’t shown any signs of dementia previously that they altered their diagnosis. According to some of the family medics urinary tract infections in the elderly (especially females) can have some very strange results. 

• Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

... although when my father had a suspected urinary tract infection back in 2018 it turned out to be meningitis. The delirium was at first rather frightening and distressing. The resultant long stay in hospital set him up well for the last couple of years of his life, until he finally succumbed to heart failure this summer. Fortunately he had no symptoms of dementia and was intellectually as bright as ever until near the end.

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

I had a UTI about 20 years ago and it does affect you mentally. I hardly knew what day of the week it was sometimes and not helped by some of the anti-biotics I took.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, laurenceb said:

My asthma nurse did say that my peak flow is about 50% of normal. Have you ever had a spiometry test? That is fun (not)

No,they want me to have one, but they are not being conducted at present due to the Covid situation.

• Friendly/supportive 6

21 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

More details on the industrial spur would be nice.

I’ve actually posted several pictures taken along this spur, but separately and in a few different topics. There are also significant areas that I don’t have pictures of - like the beginning and end of it. I’ll get some more pictures of it, then put them all together in a single post. But don’t hold your breath!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Many years ago a doctor who I did not trust decided I should do a lung capacity test. He was rather upset when I  broke his machine by blowing the end off it! No one has wanted me to do a repeat for some reason. My luck with having good health is in my view just that, LUCK. My wife suffers from lots of health problems and I know how much it affects her quality of life. To all those who suffer I wish you all the best and my heartfelt sorrow that you are suffering.

Something similar happened to me when I was training for the ride where my avatar was taken (11,500' up) a nurse who I knew boasted about her lung capacity and offerred me a test.  It went off the scale.  Luckily I had few problems with altitude in Wyoming and Colorado.

Jamie

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

nurse who I knew boasted about her lung capacity and offerred me a test. 

One of the other students on the First Aid for Teachers course we had to attend while training must have had a fine pair of lungs. He made Resusci Annie have a breakdown. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  Damp but not raining, inside just sore hip.

Being for years a skinny and not sporty type in the slightest, oddly I always have had good lung capacity.  Occ health used to test us when I worked in the NHS, and I could always get just about to the end of the scale.  Never smoked though.

GP discussion this morning was reasonably helpful, ongoing investigations which I don't suppose will tell me anything I don't already know.  I suspect 'managing the situation conservatively' will be the outcome, aka it's knackered but not bad enough for a replacement yet.  I'm OK with that if they can arrange a suitable was to get a night's sleep occasionally - I'm flat again, bad night with lots of wake-ups and turn-overs.  Yet I was OK yesterday, odd.

D'oh, I thought I had posted this in ER's, but was obviously still asleep!

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

I've just done a mileage check on the BMW prior to it's next MoT tomorrow.

Only 1308 miles since the last inspection!

It's expensive as in that time I've had to pay the Road fund Licence, four new tyres and a service. Plus insurance of course

That's a couple of sound fitted locos and a decent gun!

• Friendly/supportive 8

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I've just done a mileage check on the BMW prior to it's next MoT tomorrow.

Only 1308 miles since the last inspection!

It's expensive as in that time I've had to pay the Road fund Licence, four new tyres and a service. Plus insurance of course

That's a couple of sound fitted locos and a decent gun!

Yikes, that's some expensive rubber you've got there.

Andy

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, SM42 said:

Yikes, that's some expensive rubber you've got there.

Andy

And it's not the 'best' car. It's my tractor for lugging things around.  Great for towing, lots of room in the back when I'm lugging the portable range around. It's 4 x 4, although only for soft roading, ie going on and off fields at country fairs.  Very good on icy roads.

A pleasure to drive: It certainly doesn't hang around when you floor it, which is useful when you are having to overtake on single carriageway roads.

• Like 6

The dreaded MOT.

Mrs SM42s car is booked for a couple of weeks time. Need to check it over, but I can guarantee trat a headlight or similar will blow on the way there.

Luckily the garage I use will fail it and then repair minor things like this and re-test so no need to have the car off the road waiting for the next slot.

Gotta go get some sleep soon. I am truly a Night Mailer  this week in that

A: I am male

B: I'm working nights

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 9