Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

If that's what they were reduced to commenting upon, then they must have been really desperate!

They were desperate to prove they had read it fully. They said they could normally do this by pointing out various corrections throughout a thesis. They did ask for a title change though. Aditi was relieved. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I am currently trawling various maps for the elusive Efflew Valley in South Wales.

I can't see it directly, but keep catching glimpses of it in the corner of my eye.

According to Brian Rolley, it's obviously a Welsh Brigadoon.

The usual grey damp February morning discourages much lurking in the garden, so little lurking in the workshop might be a better option.

Still there's rugby to look forward to this afternoon and tomorrow.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I am currently trawling various maps for the elusive Efflew Valley in South Wales.

I can see it directly, but keep catching glimpses of it in the corner of my eye.

The usual grey damp February morning discourages much lurking in the garden, so little lurking in the workshop might be a better option.

Still there's rugby to look forward to this afternoon and tomorrow.

Is that any relation to big lurking only nearer.

It is mizzling here- technical term for 'i wish it would make up its b.......y mind' but needs must. So dog needs to be walked and medicines collected. At least this chemist opens on a Saturday. May use the 'motor John' as don't fancy walking in the ..........see above. Wish me luck as the rozzers might not class this as an essential journey.

J A L Bird (No. 527854)

Edited by Winslow Boy
Grammar
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I'm off to a meeting of the South Western Circle, starting at 13:30.  Not much travelling, into the kitchen for a mug of coffee then back to the computer for a Zoom meeting.  There could be 100 members attending!

Then some vaccination training.  Those in south east London should be grateful that I am applying to be a jabber's assistant!  

Bill

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, SM42 said:

Only problem is that as most numbers are made up of bits, I'm waiting for the first part to harden off before tackling the next part.

How many characters / digits? I try to do two at once, ends first - setting the baseline. Then for a 5-digit number, the one in the middle, then the two remaining digits. Mate in three. Of course you can do the other side while the first one is drying, or, for my early Great Western wagons, which have the number on the ends as well as the sides, work round in rotation.

On the other hand, part of the joy of lettering is the need for extended pauses to sit back and admire one's handiwork.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Then some vaccination training.  Those in south east London should be grateful that I am applying to be a jabber's assistant!  

Not as grateful as those well away from your sphere of influence!:laugh_mini:.

Crouch-bind-set.

Ouch!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

How many characters / digits? I try to do two at once, ends first - setting the baseline. Then for a 5-digit number, the one in the middle, then the two remaining digits. Mate in three. Of course you can do the other side while the first one is drying, or, for my early Great Western wagons, which have the number on the ends as well as the sides, work round in rotation.

On the other hand, part of the joy of lettering is the need for extended pauses to sit back and admire one's handiwork.

I just get them all made up from Railtec.

Hang on a minute....

Great Western wagons?

Does Staffelfuhrer Hunt know of this?

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, bbishop said:

My GP sister in law had to do an e learning course to be some sort of Covid Jabber. This included how to draw down the vaccine into a syringe and how to supervise patients while they have their 15 minute post jab sit down. Probably fire safety too but Emma didn’t mention that to me. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I can see it directly, but keep catching glimpses of it in the corner of my eye.

The Romans must have known where it was, as they named the road to it; EFFLUVIA.

• Funny 9

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I just get them all made up from Railtec.

Hang on a minute....

Great Western wagons?

Does Staffelfuhrer Hunt know of this?

Some  of the stuff I'm using predates Railtec.  The likes of Fox 3 character number sections and some old Woodhead restored with Liquid Decal Film

Waste not want not.

There is a bit of Modelmaster thrown in and the CCT and Railtec stuff waiting till I get round to the wagons that I can use them on or odd elements here and there

I have choice if nothing else.

Andy

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, bbishop said:

I'm off to a meeting of the South Western Circle, starting at 13:30.  Not much travelling, into the kitchen for a mug of coffee then back to the computer for a Zoom meeting.  There could be 100 members attending!

Bill

Will you then be Jabba the Hut.

2 hours ago, petethemole said:

The Romans must have known where it was, as they named the road to it; EFFLUVIA.

I think it's the road from the Vomitorium.

Anyway does anyone on here by any chance have some 7mm transfers for Great Western Wagons.  I have a 3 planker to decorate.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 minute ago, jamie92208 said:

Will you then be Jabba the Hut.

I think it's the road from the Vomitorium.

Anyway does anyone on here by any chance have some 7mm transfers for Great Western Wagons.  I have a 3 planker to decorate.

Jamie

Yes just past Endoftheroadfallofum.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

Checking my stash

Andy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I think that once the lockdown is over a day out looking for it might be a good idea.

We'll take Danemouth, and by the end of the day he will be converted into the joys of industrial grot, rather than seaside charm.

You must be joking you mischievous pachyderm. As a keen photographer I photographed much of the grot around South Wales in the 1970s and whilst it made for interesting and now historical images there is no way I would want to model it even with all those lovely prairies and panniers :D:)

If I had the space I would love to model Porthcawl - 3 platforms and lots of tank engines. Much of  my early memories of railways revolves around trains to the seaside, including the Mumbles Tramway - if only I had a camera in those days!

Dave

• Like 10
  • Funny 1

GW transfers

I found some Parkside PS72 and PS74  transfers, some Slater's with assorted GW lettering  and something of unknown origin, that looks to be for brake vans

They are all getting on a bit so may need rescuing with some liquid decal film.

Free to a good home

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Oh dear, an errant chariot wheel has just bounced through the grounds of the Hippodrome!

Could be worse. the chariot could have still been attached. 

Pray tell what has brought about this  intrusion. Hopefully nothing serious

Andy

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Could be worse. the chariot could have still been attached. 

Pray tell what has brought about this  intrusion. Hopefully nothing serious

Andy

Apparently there was some sort of derailment at Twickenham.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Danemouth said:

You must be joking you mischievous pachyderm. As a keen photographer I photographed much of the grot around South Wales in the 1970s and whilst it made for interesting and now historical images there is no way I would want to model it even with all those lovely prairies and panniers :D:)

If I had the space I would love to model Porthcawl - 3 platforms and lots of tank engines. Much of  my early memories of railways revolves around trains to the seaside, including the Mumbles Tramway - if only I had a camera in those days!

Dave

Perhaps you should rename Danemouth as Trecco Bay?.

Of course you'd need to add the discarded fish and chip wrappers, the Candyfloss sticks and the copious amounts of dog dirt on the verges.

Best you leave it as it is:heart_mini:.

• Funny 7

4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Apparently there was some sort of derailment at Twickenham.

Ahh I see.

Prancing Pachyderms are generally bad news for chariot wheels.

Meanwhile I came very close to uprating a 4 wheel van to 25t.

Andy

(where's me specs)

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

Were Wales playing today. From what I gather England attended but didnt bother playing

We are attending tomorrow.

Of course we'll have the same huge support from our home crowd that England enjoyed this afternoon with theirs.

I remain hopeful, but expect we'll get a bit of a going over.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5